Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106382 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #325 on: April 13, 2019, 03:38:09 pm »

Soni Methu, 34, hosted CNN International’s longest running feature program called “Inside Africa” from 2014 to 2015 when the show transitioned to a new format that no longer required a human presenter.

CNN has found robots to be more reliable propagandists and liars than their traditional leftist subhumans?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #326 on: April 13, 2019, 04:50:35 pm »
Seymour Cassel, Familiar Face in Cassavetes Films, Dies at 84

More

Wikipedia

IMDb
@Machiavelli
Seymour Cassel also had one intriguing supporting role---he played the fictional stand-in for New York Daily News sportswriter Dick Young in 61*, Billy Crystal's HBO film about Roger Maris, Mickey Mantle, and the 1961 chase to tie or break ruthsrecord. Dick Young, most notoriously, was the writer who gave then-commissioner Ford Frick the insidious asterisk idea over Frick's paranoia that ruthsrecord (so help me God that's how they said it back then) could be broken in the first 162-game season. (A decade and a half later, of course, Young would be the sportswriter who did the most to drive Tom Seaver out of town when Seaver haggled with the Mets in 1977 not just over his own contract extension but Seaver's critique that then-Mets chieftain M. Donald Grant refused to dip into the free agency waters to help improve the struggling Mets.) There's always the chance that even the cantankerous Young was half kidding about the idea but Frick pounced on it, even though the commissioner actually had no power to impose such a distinction on the records, just as there was the chance that Young was dead serious.

And Seymour Cassel did sort-of resemble Dick Young as Young was by 1961. Crystal may have fictionalised the writers of the time even though several who covered the Maris-Mantle quest in 1961 were dead at the time he made 61*, including Milton Gross of the New York Post, the one New York writer above all others who refused to run with the pack in trying to paint Maris in an automatically negative light because Maris wasn't the type to sell himself as a media type compared to Mantle who'd learned the hard way how to play the press. (Gross was also the writer who left the press box early during the 1956 World Series to catch up to battered Don Newcombe, drive home with him, and write a very poignant column about Newcombe's depression after losing yet another World Series game.) Richard Masur played Gross's stand-in in 61*, but Masur didn't resemble Gross as strongly as Cassel resembled Young.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 04:52:25 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #327 on: April 13, 2019, 05:24:29 pm »
@EasyAce

What did you think of the movie 61*?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #328 on: April 13, 2019, 06:09:17 pm »
@EasyAce

What did you think of the movie 61*?
@Machiavelli
It was a good movie with a little playing loose with the facts, including but not limited to:

* The incident involving a Tiger Stadium fan throwing folding chairs at Maris on the field happened the following season.

* Bob Cerv wasn't a Yankee to begin the 1961 season: he'd been with the expansion Los Angeles Angels to open the season; the Yankees re-acquired him that May.

* The film's game announcers called Camilo Pascual the Twins' opening day starter, but it actually wasn't---the actual Twins starter was future Yankee relief hero (down the 1964 stretch) Pedro Ramos.

* Fabled "Yankee Killer" Tigers righthander Frank Lary surrendered a pair of homers to Maris on the actual season---but not in the game depicted in the film. That bomb was actually hit off Hank Aguirre. (When Crystal's film was shown at the Bush White House later on, believe it or not George W. Bush, the former owner of the Texas Rangers [which tells you something about career regression] pointed the error out to Crystal.)

The most astonishing part of 61*, other than its mostly accurate portrait of the home run chase and its pressures: Actors Barry Pepper (Roger Maris) and Thomas Jane (Mickey Mantle) looked almost exactly like the two players they portrayed, especially Pepper. Also, Crystal's daughter, Jennifer, who played Maris's wife in the film, turned up several years later playing the wife of Dr. Taub in the medical procedural drama House.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 06:10:32 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #329 on: April 13, 2019, 06:15:01 pm »
@Machiavelli

A pair of telling quotes:

Why can't they understand? I don't want to be Babe Ruth. He was a great ballplayer. I'm not trying to replace him. The record is there, and damn right I want to break it, but that isn't replacing Babe Ruth.---Roger Maris, during the heat of the 1961 chase.

I don't want people to forget Babe Ruth. I just want them to remember Henry Aaron.---Henry Aaron, as he approached Ruth's career home run record.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #330 on: April 14, 2019, 09:03:45 pm »
Bibi Andersson, Luminous Presence in Bergman Films, Dies at 83

Bibi Andersson, the luminous Swedish actress who personified first purity and youth, then complexity and disillusionment, in 13 midcentury Ingmar Bergman films, died on Sunday in Stockholm. She was 83...

Her emotionally complex role in “Persona” (1966), the film that made her acting reputation, was one of the great stereotype reversals in film history, a definite departure for the thirtyish Ms. Andersson, who had begun acting in her teens. Before that film, Bergman had given her roles “symbolizing simple, girlish things,” she told The New York Times in 1977. “I used to be called a ‘professional innocent.’” ...

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #331 on: April 15, 2019, 05:08:46 pm »
Author and Grand Master Gene Wolfe, 1931-2019

The science fiction and fantasy community has lost a beloved icon. We are extremely sad to report that author and SFWA Grand Master Gene Wolfe passed away on Sunday, April 14, 2019 after his long battle with heart disease. He was 87.

Gene Wolfe was born in New York on May 7, 1931. He studied at Texas A&M for a few years before dropping out and fighting in the Korean War. After his return to the US he finished his degree at the University of Houston. He was an engineer, and worked as the editor of the professional journal Plant Engineering. He was also instrumental in inventing the machine that cooks Pringles potato chips. He pursued his own writing during his editorial tenure at Plant Engineering, but it took a few years before one of his books gained wider notice in the sci-fi community: the novella that eventually became The Fifth Head of Cerberus.

More

Wikipedia

Online mountaineer

« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2019, 12:53:57 am »
Veteran Actor Georgia Engel Passes Away At Age 70
by BWW News Desk Apr. 15, 2019 

BroadwayWorld is saddened to report the passing of veteran stage and screen actor, Georgia Engel. She was 70 years old.

Georgia's Broadway roles included Mrs. Tottendale in The Drowsy Chaperone; Minnie Fay in Hello, Dolly! with Ethel Merman, The Boys From Syracuse, and My One and Only with Tommy Tune. ...

She was best known for her work as Georgette Franklin Baxter on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, on which she appeared from 1972 until the show ended in 1977. The role won her two Emmy nominations.

After that series ended, she teamed up with former Mary Tyler Moore Show co-star Betty White for The Betty White Show during its first and only (1977-1978) season. ... Broadway World

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #333 on: April 16, 2019, 01:06:32 am »
Apparently, if the NY Times is to be believed, Engel never saw a doctor because she was a Christian Scientist.

Which is kind of bizarre, especially at that age, since that's usually when problems start showing up. It doesn't mean your life has to end, though.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #334 on: April 16, 2019, 01:10:57 am »
Apparently, if the NY Times is to be believed, Engel never saw a doctor because she was a Christian Scientist.

Which is kind of bizarre, especially at that age, since that's usually when problems start showing up. It doesn't mean your life has to end, though.
Every time she opened her mouth on The Mary Tyler Moore Show she sounded as though she were suffering from a permanent head cold.

But I loved her anyway.

RIP Ms. Engel.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #335 on: April 16, 2019, 01:43:15 am »

She was also wonderful as Robert's mother-in-law on Everybody Loves Raymond.

RIP, Georgia.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #336 on: April 16, 2019, 06:29:38 am »
Miss Engel was so cute -- had that little girl voice that sounded so sweet and innocent. 

Rest in peace, Miss Engel. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #337 on: April 16, 2019, 01:24:10 pm »

She was. I couldn’t figure out why she was in Princeton but they have a huge reading room on Nassau Street.

Georgette was my favorite character on the show, I can’t believe she got married in a plaid wedding dress
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 01:25:05 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #338 on: April 16, 2019, 01:51:57 pm »
Guitarist J. Geils Dead at 71

John Warren Geils Jr., better known as J. Geils, the guitarist of the the J. Geils Band, was found dead in his home in Groton, Massachusetts Tuesday. He was 71. Rolling Stone has confirmed Geils’ death. According to Groton Police, “a preliminary investigation indicates that Geils died of natural causes.”

“At approximately 4 p.m., Groton Police responded to a home on Graniteville Road for a well-being check,” Groton Police said in a statement. “Upon arrival to the house, police located a man who was unresponsive. He was declared dead at the scene … The Groton Police Department is investigating the death, as is standard procedure in all unattended deaths, however foul play is not suspected at this time.”

The J. Geils Band released a slew of albums during the Seventies and early Eighties. With vocalist Peter Wolf at the helm, the band became best known for singles like “Centerfold,” “Love Stinks,” “Come Back” and “Freeze-Frame,” which have since become rock radio mainstays....

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/guitarist-j-geils-dead-at-71-108373/

Offline musiclady

« Reply #339 on: April 16, 2019, 02:17:05 pm »
Every time she opened her mouth on The Mary Tyler Moore Show she sounded as though she were suffering from a permanent head cold.

But I loved her anyway.

RIP Ms. Engel.

Funniest thing ever was when she sang "Steam Heat" in a talent show.

I laughed hysterically.

She was basically my age.  WAY too young to die.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #340 on: April 16, 2019, 02:25:50 pm »

Oh heavens, two icons from HS gone. I suddenly feel old.  888tapping cat

Thank you for one of my favorite albums Mr. Geils.

RIP.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #341 on: April 16, 2019, 02:30:41 pm »

J Geils?  That was like two years ago.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #342 on: April 16, 2019, 02:42:35 pm »
Breaking: J. Geils is still dead.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #343 on: April 16, 2019, 02:56:09 pm »
J Geils?  That was like two years ago.

:laugh:

I didn't see the date.  OK, I'm over it now.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #344 on: April 17, 2019, 05:39:34 pm »
Alan Garcia
Two-time President of Peru commits suicide at 69

Garcia with President George W. Bush in 2006.

Garcia was President of Peru from 1985 until being driven out in a 1990 coup. He made a successful comeback to the Presidency in 2006, serving until 2011; having professed he learned from his mistakes in the 1980s, the later Garcia administration, mostly conservative and pro-American, was largely a success.

Garcia committed suicide April 17 as he was about to be arrested in an international bribery scandal.

CNN report

Wikipedia

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #345 on: April 18, 2019, 04:16:42 am »
Joe ’Terry’ Terranova, 78, lead singer of Philly-based Danny & the Juniors
by Hannah Chinn, Updated: April 17, 2019- 3:06 PM

Joe “Terry” Terranova, 78, the former Philadelphia street-corner singer and longtime frontman of Danny and the Juniors, died Monday, April 15, of natural causes at his home in Williamstown, according to his former group mate Frank Maffei.

Mr. Terranova got his start on a West Philly corner. In 1955, he and three other neighborhood teens — Danny Rapp, David White, and Maffei — formed the doo-wop group the Juvenaires, later called Danny and the Juniors.

“We used to sing in school, in electric shop, when we were doing bell wire and stuff like that,” Maffei, his musical partner of over 60 years, recalled Wednesday. “The teacher would say, ‘You better learn how to run those wires. … You sure aren’t going to make a living singing.’”

Read more at: https://www.philly.com/obituaries/danny-and-the-juniors-joe-terranova-philadelphia-music-alliance-rock-and-roll-20190417.html

Website

wikipedia

It sounds like they are saying the "Danny" in it was the late Danny Rapp, who passed on in 1983.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The other big hit, "At the Hop" as in 'American Graffitti" but a cover band, well, Flash Cadillac performed it.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Good version.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 04:33:07 am by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #346 on: April 18, 2019, 05:12:32 am »
Website

wikipedia

It sounds like they are saying the "Danny" in it was the late Danny Rapp, who passed on in 1983.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The other big hit, "At the Hop" as in 'American Graffitti" but a cover band, well, Flash Cadillac performed it.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Good version.
Danny Rapp committed suicide in 1983.

Danny & the Juniors were persuaded to change a song Dave White wrote from "Do the Bop" to "At the Hop" and the rest was history. And there was probably a good reason why Flash Cadillac & the Continental Kids were tapped to play "At the Hop" (as the fictional Herby & the Heartbeats) in the dance sequence of American Graffiti---that group looked almost exactly the way Danny & the Juniors looked a decade earlier, if you could picture the Juniors playing instruments. The original Juniors were four singers and one instrumentalist, a hefty saxophonist named Lennie Baker---who went on from the Juniors to help co-found the 50s rock tribute group Sha Na Na. (Baker eventually got another classic movie shot: Sha Na Na appeared in the film version of Grease while Baker was still in the lineup, with Baker singing "Blue Moon." He died in 2016.)

Dave White later co-wrote two other big hits outside the Juniors:

Lesley Gore, "You Don't Own Me"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Len Barry, "1-2-3"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:20:36 am by EasyAce »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #347 on: April 19, 2019, 02:13:04 am »
@EasyAce

Fine information. Thanks for telling us.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #348 on: April 19, 2019, 05:16:20 pm »
Lorraine Warren
"Paranormal investigator" who popularized several legends adapted into major films dies at 92

In 1952, Warren and her husband Ed established the New England Society for Psychic Research. Among the stories:
  • A rag doll presented to them in 1968 was claimed to be haunted by a ghost. The Warrens claimed that it was instead haunted by an "inhuman" being, took the doll and put it on display in their Occult Museum. It was adapted into the film Annabelle.
  • In 1971, she told the story of a home in Harrisville, Rhode Island had been cursed by a 19th-century witch. This was adapted into the film The Conjuring.
  • In 1976, the Warrens investigated a home in Amityville, New York, said to be haunted with a violent demonic presence so bad that the occupants were forced to move out, a story told in the films The Amityville Horror and The Conjuring 2. While the Warrens concluded it was a legitimate haunting, most of those involve eventually admitted it was a hoax.
  • In 1981, the Warrens came to the defense of Arne C. Johnson, who claimed he killed his landlord Alan Bono because Bono was possessed by a demon. The Warrens claimed that Johnson himself had also been possessed. It didn't work; the judge ruled such a claim was inadmissible in a court of law and Johnson was convicted and spent five years in prison. This story was made into the TV film The Demon Murder Case and will also be adapted as The Conjuring 3.

Most of the people who have tried to verify the Warrens' claims, while they all spoke positively of the Warrens personally, could find no evidence to support the claims. The New England Skeptical Society was founded in part to refute the Warren's paranormal investigations.

Obituary from The Connecticut Post

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:17:34 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #349 on: April 23, 2019, 12:33:34 am »
Brenda (Earnhardt) Jackson
Second wife of Dale Earnhardt and mother of Dale Jr. dies at 65

Brenda Gee, the son of race car fabricator Robert Gee, was born into a racing family, so it was natural for her to fall for an up-and-coming racer, who would eventually become none other than NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt. She had two children with Earnhardt, Dale Jr. (himself a competent racer, though never quite as accomplished as his father) and Kelley. They separated shortly thereafter.

As Dale Jr. rose to NASCAR's top ranks, Brenda (by this point remarried) took a job as an accountant with Dale Jr.'s racing team. She died of cancer; her death was announced April 22.

Obituary from WFAA