Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106342 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #300 on: April 06, 2019, 04:27:20 pm »
Ex-US Sen Ernest 'Fritz' Hollings of South Carolina Dead at 97

He won't be doing "Too much consoooomin'"  no more.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2019, 02:12:04 pm »
I thought we had another Bond girl pass in the past 6 mos. or so.
Nadja Regin: Bond actress dies aged 87

Sean Connery and Nadja Regin in Goldfinger

Actress Nadja Regin, who appeared in two James Bond movies, has died at the age of 87.

The news was announced on the official 007 Twitter account, which said: "Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this sad time."

In 1963, she was cast as the mistress of MI6 station boss Ali Kerim Bey in From Russia With Love.

She also filmed a short pre-credits role opposite Connery in Goldfinger, released a year later.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47854805

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2019, 02:53:37 pm »
wasn't it two Bond Girls from the same movie?

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

« Reply #303 on: April 08, 2019, 03:12:26 pm »
Nadja Regin, born in Belgrade or  NiÅ¡, Serbia..

wikipedia

I don't know the specific James Bond questions.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2019, 08:25:32 pm »
Seymour Cassel, Familiar Face in Cassavetes Films, Dies at 84

He earned an Oscar nomination for 'Faces,' was Moskowitz to Gena Rowlands' Minnie and appeared in three Wes Anderson movies.

Seymour Cassel, the Oscar-nominated John Cassavetes regular whose wily glint, weathered look and versatile talent made him an admired character actor, has died. He was 84.

Cassel died Sunday in Los Angeles of complications from Alzheimer's disease, his son, Matt, told The Hollywood Reporter.

Cassel also was a favorite of Wes Anderson, who cast the irascible actor in Rushmore (1998), The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) and The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (2004).

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2019, 08:29:34 pm »
Nadja Regin, born in Belgrade or  NiÅ¡, Serbia..

wikipedia

I don't know the specific James Bond questions.

She was the head guy in Turkey's girlfriend in From Russia with Love. She was the girl in the pre-title sequence in Goldfinger.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:40:51 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2019, 09:07:43 pm »
Burma
John McCain's pet dog dies in "tragic ranching accident"

The Chesapeake Bay Terrier was the companion dog of former Senator John McCain. The dog was of unspecified age when it died.

Obituary from CBS News
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2019, 09:10:16 pm »
Burma

The Chesapeake Bay Terrier was the companion dog of former Senator John McCain. The dog was of unspecified age when it died.

Obituary from CBS News

Poor doggie. Sorry he’s at the rainbow bridge
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2019, 03:00:27 am »
Burma

Obituary from CBS News

@jmyrlefuller

Scared me for a minute. I thought it was Lindsey Graham they were writing about.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2019, 03:37:34 pm »
Charles Van Doren, a Quiz Show Whiz Who Wasn’t, Dies at 93

Charles Van Doren, a Columbia University English instructor and a member of a distinguished literary family who confessed to Congress and a disillusioned nation in 1959 that his performances on a television quiz show had been rigged, died on Tuesday in Canaan, Conn. He was 93.

He died at Geer Village, a retirement community, near his home in Cornwall, Conn., where he had lived for several years, his son, John, said.

In the heyday of quiz shows in the 1950s, when scholarly housewives and walking encyclopedia nerds battled on “The $64,000 Question” and “Tic-Tac-Dough,” Mr. Van Doren was a rare specimen: a handsome, personable young intellectual with solid academic credentials, a faculty post at a prestigious university and an impressive family pedigree.

His father was Mark Van Doren, a Pulitzer Prize-winning poet, literary critic and professor of English at Columbia. His mother, Dorothy Van Doren, was a novelist and editor. And his uncle, Carl Van Doren, had been a professor of literature, a historian and a Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer. Charles himself had bachelor’s and master’s degrees, a $4,400-a-year position at Columbia and an honest look about him.

More

Wikipedia

Offline Applewood

« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2019, 04:00:13 pm »
Rats!  The times won't let me read the whole obituary because I don't have a subscription.

But while I was just a kid when the quiz show scandal erupted, I do remember my parents talking about it and they were none pleased.  Surprised that Mr. Van Doren did land on his feet after that scandal because it was quite a mess.

Rest in peace, Mr. Van Doren.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2019, 04:19:43 pm »
@Applewood

I don't have a subscription either. However, the NYT allows several free views per browser each month before they put up the paywall. Try switching browsers.

Offline Millee

« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2019, 06:00:42 pm »

Offline berdie

« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2019, 09:59:52 pm »
That's so sad.  He was one of my fav country singers.

Much like the classic rock bands...same thing happening with the c & w.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2019, 10:33:29 pm »
Charles Van Doren, a Quiz Show Whiz Who Wasn’t, Dies at 93

More

Wikipedia
In 2008, Charles Van Doren broke a decades-long public silence to tell his side of the quiz show scandal story:

All the Answers (The New Yorker.)

From the article:

Of course, I eventually saw the movie. (Quiz Show.) I understand that movies need to compress and conflate, but what bothered me most was the epilogue stating that I never taught again. I didn’t stop teaching, although it was a long time before I taught again in a college. I did enjoy John Turturro’s version of Stempel. And I couldn’t help but laugh when Stempel referred to me in the film as “Charles Van F@cking Moron.”

Van Doren conflated two cracks given to Stempel in the film---Stempel referred to "Charles Van F@cking Doren" and "Charles Van Moron." I guess it did sound even funnier in Van Doren's conflation. But not quite as funny as John Turturro, as Herb Stempel, watching a television promo for Twenty-One the night he was supposed to take his dive to Van Doren and said, mournfully, No, tonight on Twenty-One Herb Stempel is going to take a dive. Tonight, watch Charles Van Doren eat his first kosher meal.

Among other things in his later life, Van Doren co-authored How to Read a Book with the philosopher Mortimer J. Adler. I have that plus a charming transcript, published in book form, from a CBS television special of 1963, The Dialogues of Archibald MacLeish and Mark Van Doren, the latter poet, of course, being Charles Van Doren's father.

RIP.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 10:38:28 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2019, 10:46:57 pm »
@Applewood

I don't have a subscription either. However, the NYT allows several free views per browser each month before they put up the paywall. Try switching browsers.

I think I used up all my freebees on every browser.  LOL 

That's ok.  I read  other obituaries from sites that don't require a subscription. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #316 on: April 11, 2019, 01:20:44 am »
I think I used up all my freebees on every browser.  LOL 

That's ok.  I read  other obituaries from sites that don't require a subscription.
If you use Firefox, you can right click on the link and open it in a private window, which won't collect the cookies that tell how many you have seen.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #317 on: April 11, 2019, 06:09:41 pm »
If you use Firefox, you can right click on the link and open it in a private window, which won't collect the cookies that tell how many you have seen.

@Smokin Joe
I didn't know about this! Thank you!  :beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #318 on: April 12, 2019, 04:13:37 pm »
Forrest Gregg
Hall of Fame offensive lineman and NFL coach dies at 85

â’¼ 75
Gregg's jersey number with Green Bay

Gregg played 15 seasons in the NFL, 14 of them with the Green Bay Packers during the Vince Lombardi-era dynasty; his final season was with the Dallas Cowboys, where the versatile offensive linemen helped lead the Cowboys to a win in Super Bowl VI, the Cowboys' first. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1977, his first year of eligibiliity.

After his playing career ended, he began a coaching career; while his on-field results, with the possible exception of the 1981-82 Cincinnati Bengals (he led the '81 Bengals to an appearance in Super Bowl XVI), were mediocre, he was notably never fired from a head coaching position: the Bengals let him leave to coach the Packers, then after four years, Gregg left to rebuild SMU, his alma mater, from the "death penalty" imposed after the Pony Exce$$ scandal in the late 1980s. Gregg coached two years for SMU, which despite a decimated roster managed three wins during his tenure, and remained athletic director until he got caught up with Bernie Glieberman in 1994. Two seasons under the notoriously incompetent Gliebermans and their Shreveport Pirates ended Gregg's coaching career; in 2005, Glieberman brought Gregg back to the Ottawa Renegades in an executive position.

Gregg died April 12, age 85, from Parkinson's disease.

Obituary from NFL.com

Wikipedia

Hall of Fame profile
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #319 on: April 12, 2019, 04:44:09 pm »
Forrest Gregg
Hall of Fame offensive lineman and NFL coach dies at 85

Ahh, that one hurts. I suppose it won't be much longer before all of "Lombardi's Packers" will be gone.
Let it burn.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #320 on: April 12, 2019, 11:56:13 pm »
@Smokin Joe
I didn't know about this! Thank you!  :beer:
You're welcome. (I learned about it here!)  :beer:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2019, 12:12:34 am »
You're welcome. (I learned about it here!)  :beer:

Please note:  That only works when they give you free previews.  And you still need Instapaper to read the ones with ad-blocker-blockers.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #322 on: April 13, 2019, 11:18:45 am »
She worked a show "Inside Africa", maybe this was only shown in Africa but 34 years old is no time to go. (IMHO, not a good picture either)

Former CNN Host Soni Methu on April 23, 2017. (Soni Methu/Facebook)

Former CNN Personality Passes Away Aged 34

By Richard Szabo
April 13, 2019

Family, friends, and fans are remembering the achievements of a former television host whose life was unexpectedly cut short on April 11.

Soni Methu, 34, hosted CNN International’s longest running feature program called “Inside Africa” from 2014 to 2015 when the show transitioned to a new format that no longer required a human presenter.

Read more at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/former-cnn-personality-passes-away-aged-34_2877966.html

She collapsed in Kenya.  That last paragraph abot, "no longer required a human presenter"...   9999hair out0000

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #323 on: April 13, 2019, 12:13:43 pm »
Gregg coached two years for SMU, which despite a decimated roster managed three wins during his tenure,

I remember this time well.
I was (and still remain) a fan of the Houston Cougars, where fellow NFL Alum Jack Pardee was coaching.
The "Coogs" played the hapless SMU Mustangs during Gregg's tenure, with their high powered run-and shoot-offense.
Led by the eventual Heisman-winning quarterback Andre Ware, the score was ridiculously lopsided.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #324 on: April 13, 2019, 12:18:05 pm »
She worked a show "Inside Africa", maybe this was only shown in Africa but 34 years old is no time to go. (IMHO, not a good picture either)

She collapsed in Kenya.  That last paragraph abot, "no longer required a human presenter"...   9999hair out0000

So young.
What a shame, a beautiful young lady.