Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106423 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #275 on: March 22, 2019, 10:31:58 am »
Texas country music upstart Justin Carter has died from a gunshot wound, in an accident that took place while a gun was being as a prop for a music video being filmed in his apartment, according to reports out of Houston.

Carter, 35, died Saturday, the same week he had signed a management deal and released an independent single, “Love Affair,” to digital services including iTunes and Spotify.

Carter’s manager, Mark Atherton of Triple Threat, said the deep-voiced singer had inked a contract with the company just days before the March 16 accident. KTRK-TV, the ABC affiliate in Houston, reported that Atherton “doesn’t know too many details, other than it was an accidental shooting” that took place during production on a video.

“Justin had the potential in our eyes and a lot of people’s eyes to be the next Garth Brooks,” said Atherton, who further described his new client as “kind of like the class clown, but when it was time to get down to business, he got down to it.”

Carter’s mother, Cindy McClellan, said a gun the singer had in his pocket “went off and caught my son in the corner of his eye.” Carter was an Army veteran, and McClellan has set up a fund to solicit funeral expenses while waiting to see whether his service qualifies for VA assistance.

“Justin always wanted to reach the top,” read a statement posted on the singer’s official Facebook page. “It’s unfortunate it has to be this way, but Justin’s name is worldwide now & his music.”

Over the last two months, Carter had posted five independently produced music videos to his YouTube channel.

Sign up for Variety’s Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have no idea how you go about accidentally shooting yourself in the eye with a pistol in your pocket,and suspect there will be updates to this story.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #276 on: March 22, 2019, 10:36:48 am »
I have no idea how you go about accidentally shooting yourself in the eye with a pistol in your pocket,and suspect there will be updates to this story.

For starters, it has to be loaded. There shouldn't have been a live cartridge within ten feet of anything being used as a prop.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #277 on: March 22, 2019, 11:49:59 am »
For starters, it has to be loaded. There shouldn't have been a live cartridge within ten feet of anything being used as a prop.

@Smokin Joe

Actual prop pistols have the barrels blocked. I bought some prop Colt revolvers once (357 mag) that had been threaded near the muzzle  for a screw in plug with a small hole drilled in the center so they could fire blanks. The "plug" was gone when I got them in,and they fired fine with acceptable accuracy,but it was in place when they were still prop guns,and the prop masters are supposed to check all firearms and ammunition before the actors get their hands on any of it.

I get the sense here that it was NOT a prop gun,but the singers own personal CC piece. Most like a striker-fired POS like a little 25 ACP pistol.

People that don't know anything about guns shouldn't be carrying one.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #278 on: March 22, 2019, 12:08:32 pm »
Another story on this shooting said the now-deceased was in the Army. And he handled a gun this carelessly?  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #279 on: March 22, 2019, 01:00:15 pm »
Another story on this shooting said the now-deceased was in the Army. And he handled a gun this carelessly?  :pondering:

@mountaineer

Not one soldier in 10 even picks up his assigned rifle more than once a year to go to the range to qualify with it,and even fewer ever get issued a handgun.

When I was injured in VN and couldn't be assigned to a SF team,I was sent to a nearby regular army signal battalion,where I became a company  armorer. EVERY rifle in that battalion remained locked away unloaded in rifle racks,with the ammunition for them buried outside in a locked bunker. Me,the commanding officer,and maybe the 1st sgt had a key to the ammo bunkers and the rifle racks. The soldiers assigned to those rifles were working 12 hour shifts in a communications center downtown,and never even touched them to clean them. Why would they when they were never fired or even taken outside?

And this was in VN in 1968.

I will forever be eternally grateful that I was only there for 3 months before I was allowed to go back to SF. I will never understand what motivates people to remain in the regular army.

BTW,I go around with a gun in my pocket all the time,and there is no danger of it firing unexpectedly.  NEVER carry or even own a "striker fired" semi-auto firearm. Damn things are dangerous if carried with a round in the chamber,and every striker-fired handgun I have ever seen had a safety that kept the trigger from being pulled,which means they had no safety at all. If the safety doesn't prevent the firing pin from moving forward,it is NOT a safety. It is the illusion of being a safety. These are primarily,but not always,25 ACP or 32 ACP pistols.

The obvious exceptions to this,or course,are the double-action only pistols that require the trigger be fully pulled to the rear to cock and fire the weapon. The little AMT semi-auto pistol is an example of this design.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 01:08:20 pm by sneakypete »

Offline verga

« Reply #280 on: March 22, 2019, 01:44:14 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Actual prop pistols have the barrels blocked. I bought some prop Colt revolvers once (357 mag) that had been threaded near the muzzle  for a screw in plug with a small hole drilled in the center so they could fire blanks. The "plug" was gone when I got them in,and they fired fine with acceptable accuracy,but it was in place when they were still prop guns,and the prop masters are supposed to check all firearms and ammunition before the actors get their hands on any of it.

I get the sense here that it was NOT a prop gun,but the singers own personal CC piece. Most like a striker-fired POS like a little 25 ACP pistol.

Years ago the actor Jon Erik Hexum was accidently killed by a prop gun with a blank. A scene he was shooting had been delayed for the third or fourth time and joking around he put the gun to him temple pretending to commit suicide. The blank struck him and he died shortly after.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2019, 01:49:24 pm »
Years ago the actor Jon Erik Hexum was accidently killed by a prop gun with a blank. A scene he was shooting had been delayed for the third or fourth time and joking around he put the gun to him temple pretending to commit suicide. The blank struck him and he died shortly after.

@verga

I remember that,but "the blank" didn't strike him. It was the gasses from the exploding gunpowder,and chances are he would have lived and just been burned a little if the gun had been a  foot from his head. When you put the barrel directly against your head,the exploding/expanding gasses/pressure wave WILL create a hole because there is a LOT of pressure being created in a 44 magnum case.

No bullet,and no "blank",either. I am GUESSING the blanks are sealed with something like ordinary wax.

Offline verga

« Reply #282 on: March 23, 2019, 01:21:15 am »
@verga

I remember that,but "the blank" didn't strike him. It was the gasses from the exploding gunpowder,and chances are he would have lived and just been burned a little if the gun had been a  foot from his head. When you put the barrel directly against your head,the exploding/expanding gasses/pressure wave WILL create a hole because there is a LOT of pressure being created in a 44 magnum case.

No bullet,and no "blank",either. I am GUESSING the blanks are sealed with something like ordinary wax.
I am going from memory but I thought he had been "struck" by what ever they sealed the blank with. It was one of those freak stupid things.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #283 on: March 24, 2019, 06:57:08 pm »
Larry Cohen, Writer-Director of 'It's Alive' and 'Hell Up in Harlem,' Dies at 77

He thrived making low-budget horror and blaxploitation films after creating the 1960s TV series 'Branded' and 'The Invaders.'

Larry Cohen, the avant-garde writer and director who made his mark in the horror and blaxploitation genres with such innovative cult classics as It's Alive, God Told Me To, Black Caesar and Hell Up in Harlem, has died. He was 77.

Cohen died Saturday night in Los Angeles surrounded by loved ones, his friend, actor and publicist Shade Rupe, told The Hollywood Reporter.

The older brother of late Hollywood publicist Ronni Chasen — she got her start promoting his early films — Cohen began his career by writing for television in the late 1950s, and he created the Chuck Connors-starring Branded for NBC and the cult sci-fi drama The Invaders, starring Roy Thinnes, for ABC.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #284 on: March 25, 2019, 03:00:00 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Scott Walker of the Walker Brothers passed away...

Scott Walker was a genuine cult hero

Scott Walker has died aged 76. Here, British GQ's Editor-In-Chief, Dylan Jones, remembers the brilliance of the pop trailblazer

t used to be that there was nothing more fashionable than outsiders, those misfits on the margins who avoided convention like the plague. Their trajectory was simple: starburst entry, rapid disillusionment, then a life spent in the shadows producing work that in years to come is seen as their most challenging and enlightening. Cult heroes, they were called, and though most of them have by now been exposed to daylight (a process starting with lavish journalistic praise and ending in histrionic biopics), some are still with us, lurking in dark corners of their own making.

Up until yesterday, Scott Walker was one of those heroes. His death was announced by his current record label, 4AD, gone at the age of 76, 50 years after his imperial period.

Scott Walker spent most of his career on the margins, certainly on the edges of the pop world and seemingly on the verges of the real one too. He had honed torture, existential angst to such a degree that his haunting, desperate records could alter the mood of a room as surely as a power cut. His was a twilight world, but hardly a pretentious one; dozens of devotees tried to emulate Walker’s style and attitude over the years – including David Bowie, who was obsessed with him towards the end of the Sixties – yet Walker remained a true original. Whereas you get the sense that the people who tried to copy him were just affecting a pose, with Walker it was difficult to imagine him doing anything else. “I do believe I’m an artist,” he once told me, “and what I do is important. But not everyone has to hear it and I don’t need to do it all the time.”

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/scott-walker-obituary

The US star found fame as a teen idol in The Walker Brothers, scoring hits with The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore and Make It Easy On Yourself.

But his dark baritone hinted at something deeper - and his darker, experimental solo albums tackled the complexities of love, sex and death.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-47691705

wikipedia

Not too sure of much of his other music but the news is making a big deal out of it and his image and so-forth.

Online godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #285 on: March 25, 2019, 03:28:15 pm »
Larry Cohen, Writer-Director of 'It's Alive' and 'Hell Up in Harlem,' Dies at 77

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

They left out one of my favorites, Q The Winged Serpent. RIP Larry.
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Online godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #286 on: March 25, 2019, 03:29:48 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Scott Walker of the Walker Brothers passed away...

wikipedia

Not too sure of much of his other music but the news is making a big deal out of it and his image and so-forth.

Love the Walker Bros., and some of his solo stuff approached wacko territory which is always good. RIP Scott and thanks for the tunes.
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline TomSea

« Reply #287 on: March 26, 2019, 12:54:27 am »
For some reason, "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers and "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" always seemed a bit similar in tone, not that they sound the same but something like that.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Apparently, Walker, an American, was quite a success in the UK; and I think I read once that people thought they were a British band.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2019, 01:53:20 am »
RIP Ranking Roger (Roger Charlery), lead vocalist for the English Beat, at 56.

The English Beat, "Best Friend"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The English Beat, "Ranking Full Stop"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

The English Beat, "Can't Get Used to Losing You"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #289 on: March 28, 2019, 12:45:10 am »
I didn't realize "far left" German terrorists were also involved at Entebbe (see article).... I do know, in the '70s, there was some sort of very radical group out of there as in Italy, there was the Red Brigade.
Entebbe pilot Michel Bacos who stayed with hostages dies

Michel Bacos had told his fellow crew they should stay with the hostages until the drama was over

Michel Bacos, the Air France captain hailed as a hero for refusing to abandon his passengers when Palestinian and German hijackers seized the plane in 1976, has died in France aged 95.

This is a trivial note, compared to this article for a great man.... but I'll say, youtube has a lot of stuff on Entebbe, I think even a made for tv movie. If one links to it, youtube seems to yank some things off for copywright infringements...

The end of "Last King of Scotland" has a bit on Entebbe too..

The plane, carrying some 260 people from Tel Aviv to Paris, had stopped off in Athens, where the hijackers got on board and demanded it change course.

The hostage drama ended six days later at Entebbe airport in Uganda, when Israeli commandos stormed the terminal.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47719367#

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:52:22 am by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2019, 01:28:39 am »
@TomSea

I remember Entebbe.  I did not remember or know about the German group, but I do remember the Red Brigade.  Back in the 1970s,  a friend and I took a deluxe tour of Italy.  When new arrived at the DaVinci Airport in Rome, the place was swarming with heavily armed soldiers.  My friend freaked out at the sight of these soldiers, but we were told the soldiers were necessary because of terrorism wrought by the Red Brigade.  We also saw some soldiers and a heavy police presence not only in Rome, but in other large cities as well.  This was the same group which kidnapped and killed Italy's former prime minister, Aldo Moro, a few years after my friend and I visited Italy. 

I believe eventually, the leaders of the Red Brigade were arrested, tried and convicted,and the organization disbanded.  But I guess it's possible there are still a few former members and/or sympathizers out there. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2019, 02:21:06 am »
@TomSea

I remember Entebbe.  I did not remember or know about the German group, but I do remember the Red Brigade.  Back in the 1970s,  a friend and I took a deluxe tour of Italy.  When new arrived at the DaVinci Airport in Rome, the place was swarming with heavily armed soldiers.  My friend freaked out at the sight of these soldiers, but we were told the soldiers were necessary because of terrorism wrought by the Red Brigade.  We also saw some soldiers and a heavy police presence not only in Rome, but in other large cities as well.  This was the same group which kidnapped and killed Italy's former prime minister, Aldo Moro, a few years after my friend and I visited Italy. 

I believe eventually, the leaders of the Red Brigade were arrested, tried and convicted,and the organization disbanded.  But I guess it's possible there are still a few former members and/or sympathizers out there.

Yes, thanks for that. I am familiar with whom Aldo Moro was and the way he was kidnapped. Fairly easily done and that's not easy to fathom as well.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #292 on: March 28, 2019, 10:05:01 pm »
I remember Entebbe because we talked about it in Hebrew school in real time while we were studying for Bar and Bat Mitzvahs 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

« Reply #293 on: March 29, 2019, 04:05:53 am »
I'm sure this duo called "Her's" if I understand correctly, were very talented. From Liverpool, killed en route to Santa Ana from Phoenix in the early hours.

Duo in Liverpool band Her's killed in US crash

Stephen Fitzpatrick (left) and Audun Laading were filmed playing on a lake in Texas earlier this week

Both members of the Liverpool band Her's and their tour manager have been killed in a crash in the US.

Duo Stephen Fitzpatrick and Audun Laading, as well as manager Trevor Engelbrektson, died while travelling to a gig in California on Wednesday, their record label Heist or Hit said.

The label described them as "one of the UK's most loved up and coming bands".

The duo had recently released their debut album and had been featured by BBC Introducing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-47742694

Manager killed too. I don't believe the article says who was driving or quite what happened.

This obviously, just happened.. early morning hours of Wednesday.

Tragic, their musical career seemed to just be taking off...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Must be them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 04:17:54 am by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #294 on: March 29, 2019, 04:48:51 am »
I'm sure this duo called "Her's" if I understand correctly, were very talented. From Liverpool, killed en route to Santa Ana from Phoenix in the early hours.

Manager killed too. I don't believe the article says who was driving or quite what happened.

This obviously, just happened.. early morning hours of Wednesday.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Must be them.

@TomSea

Yes,but what is not tragic is they were living the life they wanted to live when they died. That's more than most of us can do. "Would have,could have,should have",are some of the saddest words in the English language. My hat is off to them for having the courage to make the effort to successfully swim in maybe the biggest sea that exists,despite the fact that many,many VERY talented people seem to disappear in that "sea" every year to never be seen again.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #295 on: March 29, 2019, 04:15:01 pm »
Joe Bellino, Navy's first Heisman Trophy winner, dies at age 81

Navy football lost one of its legends Thursday when Joe Bellino died in his home state of Massachusetts at the age of 81. Bellino, the 1960 Heisman Trophy winner as a standout halfback for the Midshipmen, had been in failing health for some time.

Bellino was nicknamed the “Winchester Rifle” – a reference to his hometown and high school as well as his explosive running style. He was described by one newspaper reporter as “the player who was never caught from behind.”

He starred at Navy from 1958-1960 under head coach Wayne Hardin, rushing for 1,664 yards on 330 carries and scoring 31 touchdowns during his three-year career. The 5-foot-9, 185-pound speedster was also a dangerous return man and amassed 577 yards on kickoffs and 256 yards on punts...

A unanimous All-America selection, he was awarded the Heisman Trophy and Maxwell Trophy in 1960. It was an era when football players went both ways and Bellino was also an outstanding defensive back, recording an end zone interception to preserve Navy’s narrow victory over Army that year.

Bellino was the first of two Heisman Trophy winners at Navy, preceding quarterback Roger Staubach by three years...

More

Wikipedia

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #296 on: April 02, 2019, 04:59:05 pm »
Science Fiction Author Vonda N. McIntyre, Official Obituary

Award-winning Seattle science fiction author Vonda N. McIntyre died April 1, 2019, of pancreatic cancer. She was 70.

McIntyre wrote novels, short stories and media tie-in books, edited a groundbreaking anthology of feminist SF, and founded the Clarion West Writing Workshop. She won the Hugo, Nebula and Locus awards for her 1979 novel Dreamsnake, and won the Nebula again for her 1996 novel The Moon and the Sun. Her short stories were also nominated for awards. In media fiction, she will probably be most remembered as the author who gave Ensign Sulu a first name (Hikaru) in her Star Trek novel The Entropy Effect: that name was later written into one of the Star Trek films. With Susan Janice Anderson, McIntyre edited one of the first feminist science fiction anthologies (Aurora: Beyond Equality, 1976). She was a participant in the Women in Science Fiction Symposium edited by Jeffrey D. Smith (Khatru #3/4, 1975 – reprinted with additional material as by Jeanne Gomoll, lulu.com, 2008) with Chelsea Quinn Yarbro, Ursula K. Le Guin, Samuel R. Delany, James Tiptree Jr. and others. Her Nebula-winning fantasy novel The Moon and the Sun has been made into an as-yet-unreleased film, The King’s Daughter, starring Pierce Brosnan. Much of the film was shot in Versailles, and McIntyre delighted in telling how kind Brosnan was to her when she visited the set.

More

Vonda N. McIntyre (1948-2019)

Wikipedia

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #297 on: April 02, 2019, 05:22:55 pm »
Science Fiction Author Vonda N. McIntyre, Official Obituary

More

Vonda N. McIntyre (1948-2019)

Wikipedia

@Machiavelli

It hurts all of humanity when someone that bright passes. Now we will forever be without her dreams and ideas.

Offline verga

« Reply #298 on: April 02, 2019, 06:20:28 pm »
I enjoyed her Trek stuff. Interesting stories and really stuck with the personalities of the characters.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #299 on: April 06, 2019, 03:48:20 pm »
Ex-US Sen Ernest 'Fritz' Hollings of South Carolina Dead at 97

Ernest F. "Fritz" Hollings, the silver-haired Democrat who helped shepherd South Carolina through desegregation as governor and went on to serve six terms in the U.S. Senate, has died. He was 97.

Family spokesman Andy Brack, who also served at times for Hollings as spokesman during his Senate career, said Hollings died early Saturday.

Hollings, whose long and colorful political career included an unsuccessful bid for the Democratic presidential nomination, retired from the Senate in 2005, one of the last of the larger-than-life Democrats who once dominated politics in the South.

He had served 38 years and two months, making him the eighth longest-serving senator in U.S. history.

Read more at: https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/us-obit-ernest-fritz-hollings/2019/04/06/id/910481/