Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106435 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #250 on: March 10, 2019, 07:32:01 pm »
My first instinct is bulimia.

Some type of eating disorder is entirely plausible.

Sudden death in eating disorders

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3292410/

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #251 on: March 10, 2019, 09:38:43 pm »
@mrclose

Well,to be fair to him,50 years have passed between the photos. I realize that *I* may look exactly like I did when I was 22,but most people aren't so lucky.
Pretty rough at 22, huh?  888mouth
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2019, 11:18:14 pm »
Cedrick Hardman
Star defensive lineman in Bay Area pro football dies at 70

🅢 86
Hardman's jersey number with the 49ers

Hardman played for all three of the professional football teams that existed in the San Francisco Bay Area at some point during his 13-season career: ten for the San Francisco 49ers, two for the Oakland Raiders, and one for the Oakland Invaders of the USFL. Although sacks were not an official statistic at the time, his 121.5 sacks would put him in the top 30 all time in that statistic; he made two Pro Bowls during his career, both with the 49ers, and earned a Super Bowl ring with the Raiders.

Obituary from Pro Football Talk

Wikipedia

Career stats (NFL only)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #253 on: March 11, 2019, 01:01:55 am »
Here is an odd one... this guy lost his mother who was a pioneer female mountain climber on a mountain in that area over there of Pakistan/Nepal, around there, I didn't read heavily into details and I don't think the article made it clear. Anyway, he must have idolized his mom as a mountain climber or he was paying homage to her, well, you can guess why he's in the obituaries.... but those are the basics of the story.

Tom Ballard: Bodies found in missing climbers search

The bodies of two climbers who went missing on a mountain in Pakistan have been found.

Briton Tom Ballard and Italian Daniele Nardi last made contact from Nanga Parbat at an altitude of about 20,700ft (6,300m) almost two weeks ago.

On Wednesday it was reported the search had been called off, but resumed when "silhouettes" were spotted on a passage taken by the climbers.

More: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-47509067

Okay, so she climbed Everest alone but it sounds like both mountains where they passed on were in Pakistan.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2019, 01:18:26 am »
Kelly Catlin
Olympic silver-medal cyclist dies at 23

Catlin was part of a U.S. cycling team that won the silver medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. A graduate of the University of Minnesota with a dual major of Chinese and biomedical engineering, Catlin committed suicide March 8.

Obituary from CBS News

Wikipedia

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2019, 01:54:37 am »
Kelly Catlin
Olympic silver-medal cyclist dies at 23

Catlin was part of a U.S. cycling team that won the silver medal at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. A graduate of the University of Minnesota with a dual major of Chinese and biomedical engineering, Catlin committed suicide March 8.

Obituary from CBS News

Wikipedia

Tranny?

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2019, 02:47:00 pm »
Jed Allan
Daytime television staple of the 1970s and 1980s dies at 84

Although Allan had some roles in prime time television, including as a ranger in Lassie and Rush Sanders in Beverly Hills 90210, he was most commonly seen on soap operas, including a 14-year run on Days of Our Lives and a seven-year run on Santa Barbara. He also served as the host of the game show Celebrity Bowling, which still pops up in reruns now and then.

Obituary from AOL

Wikipedia

IMDB

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2019, 09:53:18 pm »
Harry Howell, Star Defenseman With Rangers for 17 Years, Dies at 86

Harry Howell, the Hall of Fame defenseman who became one of hockey’s most durable figures, playing with the Rangers for 17 seasons in a career that spanned 24 seasons in two leagues, died on Saturday in Ontario. He was 86...

When Howell joined the Rangers in October 1952, he was among 14 rookies with the team that season. Most didn’t stick around too long, but Howell went on to play in 1,160 regular-season games as a Ranger, a still-standing team record...

Howell won the Norris Trophy as the N.H.L.’s leading defenseman in the 1966-67 season and he was a seven-time All-Star...

More

Wikipedia

Career stats

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #258 on: March 12, 2019, 12:15:02 am »
The anchorman of the Wrecking Crew is gone . . .

Hal Blaine, prolific 'Wrecking Crew' drummer who worked with Frank Sinatra and Elvis, dies at 90

You could fill two living rooms with all the good music he made, but these are still my personal favourites among all the records he made:

The Ronettes, "Walking in the Rain"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

RIP Mr. Blaine.

The T-Bones, "No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #259 on: March 12, 2019, 12:21:28 am »
The anchorman of the Wrecking Crew is gone . . .

Hal Blaine, prolific 'Wrecking Crew' drummer who worked with Frank Sinatra and Elvis, dies at 90

You could fill two living rooms with all the good music he made, but these are still my personal favourites among all the records he made:

The Ronettes, "Walking in the Rain"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

RIP Mr. Blaine.

The T-Bones, "No Matter What Shape (Your Stomach's In)"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Sad to hear this. Sinatra, The Beach Boys, Ronettes, this guy was everywhere.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #260 on: March 14, 2019, 02:45:33 pm »
Sen. Bayh, author of Title IX law, dies at age 91
10:33 AM ET
    Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Former U.S. Sen. Birch Bayh, who championed the federal law banning discrimination against women in college admissions and sports, died at his home Thursday at age 91.

Bayh was surrounded by family at his home in Easton, Maryland, when he died shortly after midnight from pneumonia, his family said in a statement. His son, Evan, followed him into politics and became Indiana's governor and a senator.  ...
ESPN

I wonder if he was aware that the trend of permitting "trans" men to compete as women has made a mockery of Title IX.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 02:46:44 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #261 on: March 17, 2019, 03:36:27 pm »
Longtime Los Angeles TV Personality Tom Hatten Dies at 92

Los Angeles actor, writer and television host Tom Hatten, whose long and diverse career included hosting "Family Film Festival" on KTLA, died Saturday at age 92, according to longtime friend and former KTLA producer Joe Quasarano.

Hatten was a fixture on Los Angeles television since the 1950s as an announcer, actor, singer, producer, writer and television host...

He delighted children with his "Popeye and His Friends" show from 1976 to 1988, and hosted KTLA's "The Family Film Festival" from 1978 to 1992...

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 04:01:08 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #262 on: March 17, 2019, 03:45:26 pm »
Beast Wars Writer Larry DiTillio Passes Away At Age 79

Writer J. Michael Straczynski has reported that his friend Larry DiTillio has died at the age of 79...

In addition to his work on Beast Wars, DiTillio also wrote for He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe, The Real Ghostbusters, and Straczynski's Babylon 5...

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #263 on: March 17, 2019, 07:51:26 pm »
BULLETIN: RIP Dick Dale, ‘King of the Surf Guitar’ Passes Away at 82

Dick Dale, known as “King of The Surf Guitar,” has passed away, sources said on Sunday.

Dale, who had been quietly suffering health issues for many years, was considered a  leader in the surf guitar genre. Dale was 82.

Born Richard Anthony Monsour, his famous songs, like “Miserlou,” and many others have become part of the American music fabric.

More

Wikipedia

Official site

Wikipedia says he was 81. RIP, Dick.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:02:46 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #264 on: March 17, 2019, 08:44:44 pm »

More

Wikipedia

Official site

@Machiavelli

There are times I'd love to have a do-over on my bar mitzvah so I could play this for the family (evil grin here) . . . it's sometimes nicknamed "Meshuggena Beach Party" . . .

Dick Dale & the Del-Tones, "Hava Nagila"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #265 on: March 17, 2019, 09:06:29 pm »

More

Wikipedia

Official site

Another icon gone.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #266 on: March 17, 2019, 09:23:49 pm »
There are times I'd love to have a do-over on my bar mitzvah so I could play this for the family (evil grin here) . . . it's sometimes nicknamed "Meshuggena Beach Party" . . .
RIP.

There is a band that does pay such tribute...

I have that album, among so many others to play along with and try to melt guitar picks as efficiently as did Dick Dale. The man helped to create and define an entire genre of guitar-based rock 'n' roll that I and so many others have spent countless hours listening to, and (trying to) play along with.  Godspeed, Mr. Dale. But you were blazingly fast right here on Earth.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline TomSea

« Reply #267 on: March 17, 2019, 09:24:24 pm »
Is Miserlou his signature song? Anyway...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I'm sure any number of his songs demonstrate his prowess.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #268 on: March 19, 2019, 03:27:34 pm »
"Nature Boy" Roger Kirby dies

"Nature Boy" Kirby, one of pro wrestling's greatest heels from the 1960s to the early 1980s, known for his great physique, blond hair, and handlebar mustache or beard, died on Monday, March 18. He was 79 years old.

During his career, he took on every world champion from Pat O'Connor on up. He made his mark in territories like Georgia, Florida, Oregon, Minnesota, and Kansas City.

More

Wikipedia

Offline TomSea

« Reply #269 on: March 20, 2019, 12:39:05 am »
Bernie Torme, former Ozzy Osbourne guitarist, dead at 66
Maeve McDermott, USA TODAY
Published 9:19 a.m. ET March 19, 2019 | Updated 1:56 p.m. ET March 19, 2019

Bernie Torme, a member of Deep Purple and a hard-rocking musician, died "peacefully" on Sunday at age 66.

“Bernie Tormé passed away peacefully on the 17th March 2019, one day short of his 67th birthday, surrounded by his family,” read a statement obtained by Variety and the Irish Examiner. “He had been on life support for the past four weeks at a London hospital following post-flu complications. Bernie will be remembered for dedicating his life to his music for five decades. He will be sorely missed.”

"What a sad day," Ozzy Osbourne wrote on Twitter about Torme. "We’ve lost another great musician. Bernie was a gentle soul with a heart of gold. He will be dearly missed. I send my sincere condolences to his family, friends and fans."

Twisted Sister frontman Dee Snider tweeted, "Woke up to find out my friend @Bernie_Torme has died. He was a guitar god who played with @OzzyOsbourne & Ian Gillan. We worked together for 3 years, writing over 100 songs for the ill-fated Desperado. I loved that man & today my heart is broken. RIP Bernie. Your guitar weeps."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2019/03/19/bernie-torme-former-ozzy-osbourne-guitarist-dead-66/3209879002/

wikipeida

Born in Dublin, Ireland

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #270 on: March 20, 2019, 01:57:13 am »
wikipeida

Born in Dublin, Ireland

@Tom Sea

He was 66 and a Deep Purple guitarist? How old was he when he was playing with them,10?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2019, 02:01:51 am »
@Tom Sea

He was 66 and a Deep Purple guitarist? How old was he when he was playing with them,10?

He joined Deep Purple vocalist Ian Gillan in Gillan's solo band in 1979, when he was 27; he left that band in 1981. I don't think he was ever a member of any future version of Deep Purple.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2019, 02:02:47 am »
@Tom Sea

@sneakypete

I noticed that, well, bands like Deep Purple have been around since? I'd say '67 or so... so, this Bernie Torme must be a sort of "journeyman" guitarist, he played for Ozzie too, I looked at the wikipedia. He has a number of albums by his own band. But I was just reporting.

NO, he's not part of any of the original Deep Purples, the wikipedia article says he joined them in '82, revolving band membership, like so many. He may not have played long with them either. Not part of the classic lineup.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2019, 02:05:45 am »
Another obit out of the bing.com newsfeed, only 26 years old, Hong Kong/Australian swimmer and he passed away in Florida.

Swimming: Olympic hopeful Hong Kong swimmer To dies at 26

(Reuters) - Kenneth To, a record-breaking Hong Kong-Australian swimmer who had his sights on the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, died suddenly after a training session in the United States, officials said on Tuesday. He was 26.

To, who holds 17 Hong Kong records and won a silver medal as part of Australia's 4x100 meter medley relay squad at the 2013 world championships, was in the United States for a three-month training program at the University of Florida.

To, who was born in Hong Kong and raised in Australia, died on Monday. The cause of death was not disclosed.

Read more at: https://sports.yahoo.com/swimming-olympic-hopeful-hong-kong-swimmer-dies-26-144942148--spt.html

Another "cause undisclosed", hmmn.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2019, 08:44:10 am »
@sneakypete

I noticed that, well, bands like Deep Purple have been around since? I'd say '67 or so... so, this Bernie Torme must be a sort of "journeyman" guitarist, he played for Ozzie too, I looked at the wikipedia. He has a number of albums by his own band. But I was just reporting.

NO, he's not part of any of the original Deep Purples, the wikipedia article says he joined them in '82, revolving band membership, like so many. He may not have played long with them either. Not part of the classic lineup.

@TomSea

Thanks for clearing that up.