Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 107257 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2019, 06:48:53 pm »
For the record and this isn't to knock the other 3, but I believe Tork did have a musical background, the only "real musician" of the 3, it is something like that. One of the articles mentions he was a diversely talented musician.

It's interesting, I did a websearch upon hearing the news and I saw a headline from about 8 days ago, that 1/2 of the Monkees were touring, I take that to mean Nesmith and Dolenz.

My favorite Monkees song is probably "Valerie", like that one. I had an mp player with a diverse selection of songs on it, I'd go through the Monkees songs fairly often.

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2019, 07:33:37 pm »
Pete was definitely the best musician of the group, but Mike was no slouch, although his talents ran more to songwriting.

I saw somewhere that if the Monkees had played the instruments they were best at, Pete would be on lead guitar, Mike on bass, Davy on drums and Mickey on lead vocals. Supposedly Davy was a good drummer.

Another cherished part of my childhood gone. . .  8888crybaby
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2019, 07:34:13 pm »
For the record and this isn't to knock the other 3, but I believe Tork did have a musical background, the only "real musician" of the 3, it is something like that. One of the articles mentions he was a diversely talented musician.

It's interesting, I did a websearch upon hearing the news and I saw a headline from about 8 days ago, that 1/2 of the Monkees were touring, I take that to mean Nesmith and Dolenz.

My favorite Monkees song is probably "Valerie", like that one. I had an mp player with a diverse selection of songs on it, I'd go through the Monkees songs fairly often.
There were four. Three of them had some musical background: Nesmith was an up-and-coming country singer, Jones began in musicals, and Tork was from the folk scene. Dolenz was really the only one who was a musical amateur.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2019, 07:56:40 pm »
There were four. Three of them had some musical background: Nesmith was an up-and-coming country singer, Jones began in musicals, and Tork was from the folk scene. Dolenz was really the only one who was a musical amateur.
I looked it up---Micky Dolenz actually played in a band for a couple of years before he became a Monkee . . . but he played the guitar. He didn't take up drumming until just about the time he auditioned for and got his role on The Monkees.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2019, 08:00:48 pm »
Great song.  Carole King co-wrote that.
It was one of the last songs she wrote with her soon-to-be-former husband Gerry Goffin (the lyricist of the pair). And it was possibly the first Monkees single on which the Monkees themselves played instruments as well as singing, right when they muscled creative control of their music from Don Kirschner. Mike Nesmith's classic thematic guitar lick would be lifted whole to kick off the best song Grand Funk Railroad ever came up with . . .

Grand Funk Railroad, "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2019, 10:18:55 pm »
Great song.  Carole King co-wrote that.

Carole King wrote great songs for many-a group.

This is one of her best.

RIP Mr Tork.  You made a lot of people smile.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online berdie

« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2019, 12:07:36 am »
Well,  if this keeps on it will be..."Hey, Hey I'm a Monkee. His age freaks me out.

And in other news...Keith Richards is still alive.  Go figure.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2019, 12:09:16 am »
Well,  if this keeps on it will be..."Hey, Hey I'm a Monkee. His age freaks me out.

Actually, Richards died 10 years ago.  But no one has told him yet. 

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2019, 12:49:58 am »
Actually, Richards died 10 years ago.  But no one has told him yet.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2019, 03:30:52 am »
It was one of the last songs she wrote with her soon-to-be-former husband Gerry Goffin (the lyricist of the pair). And it was possibly the first Monkees single on which the Monkees themselves played instruments as well as singing, right when they muscled creative control of their music from Don Kirschner. Mike Nesmith's classic thematic guitar lick would be lifted whole to kick off the best song Grand Funk Railroad ever came up with . . .

Grand Funk Railroad, "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"Closer to Home" was a 3-minute song stretched out to what, 6-7 minutes?  How many repetitions of "I'm getting closer to my home..." were there?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2019, 03:35:58 am »
"Closer to Home" was a 3-minute song stretched out to what, 6-7 minutes?  How many repetitions of "I'm getting closer to my home..." were there?
Ten minutes, and I never sat down to count the reps, but then there was the orchestra that followed the brief guitar solo (which sounded like the "Proud Mary" solo played backwards, sort of).

Clearly they were also trying to get their own . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #186 on: February 22, 2019, 03:40:11 am »
He never failed to inform, instruct, and delight. Not necessarily in that order.

Nick Cafardo, longtime Boston Globe baseball writer, dies at 62

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2019, 03:49:04 am »

And I'm thinking, 'Geez, can't you just get home, already?'

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2019, 03:50:09 am »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2019, 03:50:37 am »
He never failed to inform, instruct, and delight. Not necessarily in that order.

Nick Cafardo, longtime Boston Globe baseball writer, dies at 62

62??
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2019, 03:57:40 am »
Belly fat is a killer, I think it really is... a good reason to watch one's diet.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2019, 05:11:17 pm »
Stanley Donen
Choreographer and director of musical films dies at 94

Donen was one of Hollywood's most celebrated late Golden Age directors, with credits including his collaborations with Gene Kelly, Singin' in the Rain and On the Town; and the 1963 Hitchcock-esque mystery comedy Charade. He is credited with creating the film musical as a distinct genre from its stage origins, incorporating special effects (such as "You're All the World to Me," a number where Fred Astaire dances on the walls and ceiling, in Royal Wedding) that were impossible on the live stage.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB

"You're All the World to Me," choreographed by Donen

Online mountaineer

« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2019, 05:30:37 pm »
Comedian Brody Stevens dead of apparent suicide at 48; had roles in 'Hangover' movies
By David Matthews
| New York Daily News |
Feb 22, 2019 | 6:50 PM

Former Comedy Central star Brody Stevens, who had small roles in the “Hangover” movies, died of an apparent suicide Friday, according to multiple reports. He was 48 years old.

Stevens was found dead in his home early Friday afternoon after he apparently hanged himself, said law enforcement officials. Stevens had a documented history of mental illness.  ... NY Daily News

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2019, 06:47:37 pm »
Singin'in the Rain is one of my favorite old movies.  Donen elicited some truly great performances from Gene Kelly, Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Connor in that film. . The story goes that when performing the title song, Gene Kelly actually was sick with the flu.    I don't know if it was Kelly's or Donen"s idea to film the scene anyway, but the end result was awesome. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Donen.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2019, 08:05:38 pm »

Clark Gable’s grandson, Clark Gable III, dead at 30

more
https://pagesix.com/2019/02/23/clark-gables-grandson-clark-gable-iii-dead-at-30/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2019, 08:26:49 pm »
EXCLUSIVE: Clark Gable's actor grandson, 30, is found dead in his bed at his family home in Texas and his heartbroken mother tells how he 'battled drug addiction for years'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-6735111/Clark-Gables-grandson-30-dead-family-home-Texas.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2019, 08:48:44 pm »
Treatment for drugs:

Stop using them. If necessary get thee to medically supervised detox. Further, stay away from people and places involving drugs. If that means 30 days in hospital, do it. Further if that means ongoing "sober-living" just do it.

Many suggest making a clean and sober life, the most important aspect of your being, one-day-at-a-time.

Failure to act upon the above "suggestion," may kill you.

That is what "treatment" and "recovery" is all about, only with lots of sugar coating, and bills to insurance.

But is available for fun and for free.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2019, 04:27:18 pm »
Morgan Woodward, Mirrored-Sunglasses Boss in 'Cool Hand Luke,' Dies at 93

Morgan Woodward, the silent, menacing mirrored-glasses boss dubbed "The Man with No Eyes" in Cool Hand Luke, has died. He was 93.

Woodward died Friday morning at his home in California, the Fielder House Museum in Arlington, Texas, confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. They house a large portion of his film and television memorabilia in their "Woodward Room."

A stalwart of the Western genre, he guest-starred in a record 19 episodes of Gunsmoke (and its 1992 television movie), 12 episodes of Wagon Train, across nine seasons on Dallas as oil-man Marvin "Punk" Anderson and as Hugh O'Brian's deputy on 80 episodes of The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp.

His prolific television career also included Bonanza, The Waltons, The Lucy Show (with John Wayne guest-starring), Hill Street Blues, MGM's series Logan's Run and Star Trek, on which he was the first victim of Mr. Spock's telepathic "Vulcan mind meld."

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Official website

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2019, 08:21:49 pm »
Beverley Owen
The original Marilyn Munster dies at 81

Owen's career as an actress was particularly short-lived. After a few bit parts in soap operas, she was cast as Marilyn Munster, the conventionally beautiful "ugly duckling" of the Munster family, on the monster-themed sitcom The Munsters in 1964. Unwilling to commit to a long-term series, and wanting to stay with her boyfriend, Owen (who in real life was a brunette) quit the show after 13 episodes, with Pat Priest taking over the role for the remainder of the series run. She rarely appeared on screen again; her only other notable credit was a nine-month run on Another World, returning to her soap-opera roots.

Obituary from TMZ

Wikipedia

IMDB
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 01:59:54 am by jmyrlefuller »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2019, 12:22:00 am »
Treatment for drugs:

Stop using them. If necessary get thee to medically supervised detox. Further, stay away from people and places involving drugs. If that means 30 days in hospital, do it. Further if that means ongoing "sober-living" just do it.

@truth_seeker

HUGE "High 5" on that one!

If doing this means you have to move to another state far away from your relatives and friends,DO IT!  Do it,and don't even let any of your former druggie acquaintances know where you went. If you do,sooner or later some of them will track you down looking for a place to stay "until I can make a few scores and get on my feet". Which is the polite way of saying "I have arrest warrants out on me back home and need a place to lie low until I can score and sell enough drugs to get back on my feet."

AND...."while he is getting back on his feet",he will be doing drugs and/or alcohol right there in your new living space,and like all addicts,will be saying "C'mon,man! Lighten up and just take one hit! One hit won't kill you!"

And they are right. One hit WON'T kill you,but it WILL kill your sobriety,and that one hit will lead to the hit that WILL kill you in the long run.

It doesn't matter if it is drugs,alcohol,sex,gambling,or any other name you can add to the addiction list,they are ALL addictions,and ADDICTION WILL NEVER REST UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN MADE INTO IT'S LITTLE BITCH.

The ONLY way to quit is to quit. Period. Quit the drugs and quit the people,REGARDLESS of who they are,that do drugs. If you are a drunk,stay away from bars. If you are a gambler,stay away from the tracks and the online gambling. If you don't,you are just taking a temporary time-out. You are not really quitting.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!