Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106382 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2019, 09:13:54 pm »
Well God bless and RIP Betty Ballantine. Her company's books made for many happy hours reading.

I have several Ballentine paperbacks

Not to be confused with Ballantine beer
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2019, 09:46:44 pm »
I have several Ballentine paperbacks

Not to be confused with Ballantine beer
FWIW, I have had both, but the beer was over 30 years ago. I still have the books (at least the ones which survived the fire).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2019, 11:01:51 pm »
No, but Harold Stassen has filed.

So did Shirley Chisholm.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2019, 12:38:36 am »
Ballantine published some paperbacks that really fit the description of pulp fiction but at the same time, there was a golden age of paperbacks, many, many good books were published....

In short, Ballantine had everything though, Westerns, biographies, on and on.... some of this will look familiar, I'd urge people to look on their own.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2019, 02:55:22 pm »
Bruno Ganz
That guy who played Hitler in the "Hitler finds out..." meme dies at 77

Ganz was one of the most famous actors to come out of Switzerland. He had a few roles in English-language cinema, including in the 2004 remake of The Manchurian Candidate. He had far more work in German-language film, with his most famous role being Der Untergang (Downfall), in which Ganz portrayed Adolf Hitler. In addition to earning widespread praise for his portrayal, a scene from Downfall in which Hitler angrily laments his failure in front of other Nazis became a meme in which the scene is captioned with humorous subtitles about more mundane subjects.

Ganz died of intestinal cancer on February 16.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia

IMDB
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 03:07:51 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2019, 03:13:55 pm »
Bruno Ganz
That guy who played Hitler in the "Hitler finds out..." meme dies at 77

Ganz was one of the most famous actors to come out of Switzerland. He had a few roles in English-language cinema, including in the 2004 remake of The Manchurian Candidate. He had far more work in German-language film, with his most famous role being Der Untergang (Downfall), in which Ganz portrayed Adolf Hitler. In addition to earning widespread praise for his portrayal, a scene from Downfall in which Hitler angrily laments his failure in front of other Nazis became a meme in which the scene is captioned with humorous subtitles about more mundane subjects.

Ganz died of intestinal cancer on February 16.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia

IMDB
Great memes, lots of entertainment in those... RIP, Mr. Ganz, and thanks for all the laughs.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2019, 08:37:03 pm »
Ken Nordine
Spoken-word artist famed for his "word jazz" dies at 98

In the 1950s, at the height of the beatnik movement, Nordine, who had found work in the early television industry as a voice-over artist for commercials, developed a form of storytelling he called "word jazz," a combination of narrative and freeform jazz background by Fred Katz. The approach led to a string of albums and work as a narrator in film, television and radio.

Nordine died of old age February 16.

Obituary from WBEZ

Wikipedia

"What Time Is It?" from the firstWord Jazz album

Offline TomSea

« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2019, 03:04:27 am »
Lee Radziwill: Jackie Kennedy's sister dies aged 85

Radziwill, seen here in 2004, was a friend to artistic celebrities and fashion moguls

Lee Radziwill, the socialite and younger sister of former US first lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, has died at the age of 85, US media report.

Radziwill, who became a fashion icon and counted Andy Warhol and Truman Capote among her friends, died at her home in New York on Friday.

She had careers in acting, writing, and interior design, and was married three times - including to a Polish prince.

Her daughter told the New York Times she had died of natural causes.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47268649

Wikipedia bio

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:07:05 am by TomSea »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2019, 04:31:34 am »
Patrick Caddell, the political pollster who helped send an obscure peanut farmer named Jimmy Carter to the White House, later became disillusioned with fellow Democrats and finally veered to advise supporters of Donald J. Trump, died on Saturday in Charleston, S.C. He was 68.

His death, from complications of a stroke, was confirmed by a colleague, Prof. Kendra Stewart of the College of Charleston.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/obituaries/patrick-caddell-dead.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2019, 04:36:59 pm »

The ecstatic sailor shown kissing a woman in Times Square celebrating the end of World War II died Sunday. George Mendonsa was 95.

Mendonsa fell and had a seizure at the assisted living facility in Middletown, Rhode Island, where he lived with his wife of 70 years, his daughter, Sharon Molleur, told The Providence Journal.

Mendonsa was shown kissing Greta Zimmer Friedman, a dental assistant in a nurse’s uniform, on Aug. 14, 1945. Known as V-J Day, it was the day Japan surrendered to the United States. People spilled into the New York City streets to celebrate the news.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2019, 05:43:30 pm »

The ecstatic sailor shown kissing a woman in Times Square celebrating the end of World War II died Sunday. George Mendonsa was 95.

Mendonsa fell and had a seizure at the assisted living facility in Middletown, Rhode Island, where he lived with his wife of 70 years, his daughter, Sharon Molleur, told The Providence Journal.

Mendonsa was shown kissing Greta Zimmer Friedman, a dental assistant in a nurse’s uniform, on Aug. 14, 1945. Known as V-J Day, it was the day Japan surrendered to the United States. People spilled into the New York City streets to celebrate the news.
Wow. I had no idea either were still around. Imagine knowing one of the most iconic pictures of the end of war contained you. RIP George.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2019, 05:46:14 pm »
Wow. I had no idea either were still around. Imagine knowing one of the most iconic pictures of the end of war contained you. RIP George.
Greta Zimmer Friedman died in 2016.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2019, 05:57:32 pm »
Greta Zimmer Friedman died in 2016.
Maybe now they can talk about that moment and have some laughs about it.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #163 on: February 19, 2019, 01:04:02 pm »
Karl Lagerfeld, pioneering fashion designer, has died
Feb. 19, 2019
Written by Tara John

Karl Lagerfeld, the fashion visionary and creative director of Chanel, has died, the company told CNN Tuesday.
The influential German designer is best known for his work with the French luxury fashion house, along with his prodigious output. He was also the creative director at Fendi and his eponymous label.

Rumors had swirled about his health after he was absent from his Chanel show in late January due to what the company described as tiredness.

Lagerfeld, who transformed Chanel after taking the helm in 1983, was rarely seen without his dark glasses, a silver ponytail and fingerless gloves -- gaining him the reputation as the most recognizable man in fashion.  ... CNN

Satirist Titania McGrath tweets:
Titania McGrath   @TitaniaMcGrath

Karl Lagerfeld has died.
What would be a respectful period of time to wait until we start trawling through his old tweets for any signs of racism or transphobia?
30 minutes, perhaps?
7:10 AM - 19 Feb 2019

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 01:10:39 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2019, 02:10:17 pm »
David C. Horowitz
Consumer affairs reporter known best for his TV series Fight Back! and for his frequent appearances with Johnny Carson dies at 81

(Not to be confused with David J. Horowitz, the unrelated neoconservative commentator, who is still alive.)

Obituary from KNBC, his longtime employer

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2019, 06:22:13 pm »
Karl Largerfeld had one of the world’s most photogenic cats. Choupette. That cat had some life. Anyway, I love Channel even if I could never afford it

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2019, 11:09:47 pm »
Former Dodgers great Don Newcombe dead at 92

The first black pitcher to start a World Series game, in the same year (1949) he won the National League's Rookie of the Year award; and, baseball's all-time first Cy Young Award winner. (Newcombe won the award in its first year, 1956, when it was given to one pitcher across the board instead of one in each league.)

RIP Newk.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2019, 11:24:58 pm »
Former Dodgers great Don Newcombe dead at 92

The first black pitcher to start a World Series game, in the same year (1949) he won the National League's Rookie of the Year award; and, baseball's all-time first Cy Young Award winner. (Newcombe won the award in its first year, 1956, when it was given to one pitcher across the board instead of one in each league.)

RIP Newk.

Damn!  :(

Wikipedia

Career stats

Offline TomSea

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:19:56 pm by TomSea »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2019, 04:32:34 pm »
If anyone hasn't seen it, you absolutely must see Finney as Churchill in "The Gathering Storm".  Easily the best of the Churchill films, and Finney absolutely nailed it.

Thanks for the recommendation, @dfwgator .   :patriot:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2019, 04:56:13 pm »
I liked Peter Tork, but this was and still is my favourite Monkees record . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Applewood

« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2019, 05:19:22 pm »
Back when I was young and stupid, I was so enamored with the Monkees that I once feigned illness to get out of a family event so I could stay home to watch the Monkees.  My mother was not amused. 

Davy Jones was my favorite, but I liked 'em all. 

Rest in peace, Peter Tork.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2019, 05:26:44 pm »
I liked Peter Tork, but this was and still is my favourite Monkees record . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Great song.  Carole King co-wrote that.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2019, 05:56:49 pm »
Back when I was young and stupid, I was so enamored with the Monkees that I once feigned illness to get out of a family event so I could stay home to watch the Monkees.  My mother was not amused. 

Davy Jones was my favorite, but I liked 'em all. 

Rest in peace, Peter Tork.

I remember the monkees but I was a Davy Jones fan too. RIP Peter Tork.