Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106393 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2019, 07:04:31 pm »
One of the best monster movies and versus the other genre, Wolfman, Frankstein, the Mummy and so on, the only bad thing about the Creature from the Black Lagoon was there was only one made. These others had kind of a series on them, even if some admittedly are not that stellar.

I always wished they had an additional movie,  the Creature was made in 1954, so a late entry compared to the others.

I did see that episode.
Actually, there was another https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048554/ (Revenge of the Creature from The Black Lagoon 1955)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2019, 09:11:09 pm »
Godspeed Ms Adams! I can't say how many times my granddaughter and I watched The Creature ... (her favorite movie as a kid), and what fond memories that has given me. My wife has probably seen every episode of Murder, She Wrote as well.

I remember her from “Murder She wrote” I also remeber her playing a girlfriend of Jim Hutton in “Ellery Queen”. I’ve seen every episode of Murder she wrote.

Rip Ms Adams
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:11:56 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2019, 09:13:30 pm »
Dick Miller
Ubiquitous B-movie fixture dies at 90

Miller began his film acting career as a regular actor in low-budget films by Roger Corman, and for his first seven years, he only appeared in Corman's films. This eventually expanded to a 100-film career, as several of Corman's protégés, including Joe Dante (who worked Miller into every single film he directed) and Jonathan Kaplan, hired Miller for their own films. As a running gag, several of Miller's characters all shared the name "Walter Paisley." He secured some smaller bit parts in films by bigger-name directors like Martin Scorsese, James Cameron and Steven Spielberg over the course of his career as well.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB

Was this the guy from “The Twilight Zone” who was sent to the cornfield and became a jack in the box? It’s driving me crazy

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2019, 09:28:13 pm »

Was this the guy from “The Twilight Zone” who was sent to the cornfield and became a jack in the box? It’s driving me crazy

According to the Wiki entry, the character that happened to was Dan Hollis, played by Don Keefer; his IMDB entry is here.
Let it burn.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2019, 09:32:16 pm »
Thanks forgot about IMDb.

@Ghost Bear

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2019, 09:50:44 pm »
Thanks forgot about IMDb.

@Ghost Bear

You're welcome!  happy77

For what it's worth, Dick Miller played the pawn shop clerk in "The Terminator" with Arnold Schwarzenegger:

Sorry...
Let it burn.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2019, 03:22:24 pm »
Henry A. Jaume Sr. Obituary
Henry A. Jaume, Sr. Age 65, Passed away on Sunday, February 3, 2019 at 1:00 P.M. Determined not to watch Super Bowl LIII. He was a native of New Orleans, Veteran of the U.S. Army, Police Officer with the Kenner Police Department and Jefferson Parish Sheriff's office. He is also past master of Arthur M. Retif Lodge 473. Henry was the life of the party wherever he went. He was charismatic, with a great sense of humor and quick wit. He always made us laugh. He loved being with his family having Easter Crawfish boils and New Year's eve fireworks, going to the Saints game and traveling in his Tiffin Motor Home with wife and loyal fur buddy Hank. He is the son of the late Melba Dies Bourgeois and Charles Jaume. Sr. He is survived by his wife and Soulmate Carey Lambert Jaume. His children, Jason C. Jaume, Sr., Shane Woodward (Geri), Jessica Jaume, Amanda Ochoa (Dominic), Henry A. Jaume, Jr. (Jessica), 11 grandchildren and 6 Great Grandchildren. The Family will receive friends and have a Masonic Service Tuesday February 5 from 4 P.M. to 8 P.M at Jacob Schoen & Son Funeral Home 3827 Canal Street, New Orleans. A mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Wednesday February 6 at 9:30 A.M. at St. Anthony of Padua 4640 Canal Street. Interment private. ARRANGEMENTS BY JACOB SCHOEN & SON FUNERAL HOME. Condolences may be left at www.schoenfh.com.
Published in TheNewOrleansAdvocate.com from Feb. 4 to Feb. 6, 2019

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theneworleansadvocate/obituary.aspx?n=henry-a-jaume&pid=191451628&fhid=4708
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2019, 03:16:28 am »
Israeli-American Rabbi Yechiel Eckstein dies at 67
Eckstein raised over $1.3 billion, and until his death raised more than $140 million a year, mostly from Evangelicals, to assist Israel and the Jewish people.
By Jeremy Sharon
February 6, 2019 18:03
https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Israeli-American-Rabbi-Yechiel-Eckstein-dies-at-67-579891

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2019, 04:28:20 pm »
I just read on Bookface Bob Massie ("The Property Guy" on Fox businesss) died of cancer.  No details yet.

Story on Fox News:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/bob-massi-real-estate-attorney-fox-news-legal-analyst-dead
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:29:22 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2019, 07:45:48 pm »
Baseball loses a giant . . .

Reports: Frank Robinson, Hall of Famer and MLB's first black manager, dies at 83

Baseball Hall of Famer Frank Robinson died Thursday after battling a long illness, according to MASN in Baltimore. He was 83 years old.

Known for his elite talent and intense demeanor, Robinson became a central figure in advancing Major League Baseball’s integration of black players after Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier in 1947.

Robinson exploded on the scene in 1956 and for the next six decades established a legacy that’s second to none. That includes becoming MLB’s first black manager in 1974.

On the field, Robinson was a history maker as well. After signing with the Cincinnati Reds in 1953, he faced a tough road filled with racist taunts and death threats. It’s a road Robinson not only overcame, but conquered en route to producing one of the greatest careers in MLB history.

Robinson is still the only player to win MVP in both leagues, earning National League honors with the Reds in 1961 and the American League award with the Baltimore Orioles in 1966. At age 20, he was voted NL Rookie of the Year after hitting a then rookie-record 38 home runs. He went on to make 14 All-Star game appearances, and currently ranks tenth on the all-time home run list with 586 . . .
He had a wicked sense of humour, too. Once on the Baltimore team bus, as it approached a junkyard, Robinson hollered for the driver to stop---so less-than-sure-handed outfielder Curt Blefary could pick out a new glove.

Robinson was also at the plate for one of the most infamous hours in Phillies history---Cincinnati rookie Chico Ruiz stealing home off Philadelphia pitcher Art Mahaffey, who was so startled by Ruiz's break that his pitch sailed away from Robinson, who was himself shocked at the steal attempt---for the only run of a Reds win that started the notorious Phillies ten-game losing streak that helped cost them a pennant they seemed to have in the bank.

Robinson was also the first manager of the Washington Nationals when they began playing in D.C.

RIP.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:47:48 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2019, 08:19:35 pm »
Frank Robinson, Rest In Peace, definitely know who he was.

For a time being, the Orioles were the winningest sports franchise around, so they say, those days are long gone but I think it kept up even to the early '80s. It's all in the details as well I guess, between trophies or just straight wins. I'm not sure how it is measured and I can't find anything on it right off.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2019, 08:21:56 pm »
Baseball loses a giant . . .

Reports: Frank Robinson, Hall of Famer and MLB's first black manager, dies at 83
He had a wicked sense of humour, too. Once on the Baltimore team bus, as it approached a junkyard, Robinson hollered for the driver to stop---so less-than-sure-handed outfielder Curt Blefary could pick out a new glove.

Robinson was also at the plate for one of the most infamous hours in Phillies history---Cincinnati rookie Chico Ruiz stealing home off Philadelphia pitcher Art Mahaffey, who was so startled by Ruiz's break that his pitch sailed away from Robinson, who was himself shocked at the steal attempt---for the only run of a Reds win that started the notorious Phillies ten-game losing streak that helped cost them a pennant they seemed to have in the bank.

Robinson was also the first manager of the Washington Nationals when they began playing in D.C.

RIP.

Wikipedia

Player stats

Managerial stats

Offline Applewood

« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2019, 08:36:27 pm »
Another baseball great gone.  Rest in peace, Mr. Robinson. 

Thanks for the funny story, @EasyAce

Offline TomSea

« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2019, 09:04:36 pm »
I just read on Bookface Bob Massie ("The Property Guy" on Fox businesss) died of cancer.  No details yet.

Story on Fox News:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/bob-massi-real-estate-attorney-fox-news-legal-analyst-dead

RIP, I think I watched some of his shows.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2019, 09:08:39 pm »

Sorry...

I'd never seen this before...mildly interesting.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #115 on: February 07, 2019, 09:43:49 pm »
Another baseball great gone.  Rest in peace, Mr. Robinson. 

Thanks for the funny story, @EasyAce
@Applewood
Frank Robinson started the kangaroo court in the Oriole clubhouse in 1969 (yes, that's future Mets and Orioles manager Davey Johnson pleading before Hizzoner):

And under his guidance the O's kangaroo court took the accumulated fines on the season and, after the season, instead of tossing a team party like a lot of teams do with their kangaroo court fines, the Orioles donated the money to Cincinnati catcher Pat Corrales---whose wife died that season while giving birth to their fourth child.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 09:46:14 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2019, 09:59:09 pm »

Sorry...

I'd never seen this before...mildly interesting.
@TomSea
I remember that game very well.

It was actually of a piece for Robinson as a manager---he always looked for any little edge, any little break, on behalf of a little psychological warfare.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2019, 10:05:40 pm »
I thought Frank Robinson was a fairly renown slugger.  @EasyAce

Triple Crown in '66? I did not know this though, it makes sense if so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Robinson

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #118 on: February 07, 2019, 10:15:58 pm »
I thought Frank Robinson was a fairly renown slugger.  @EasyAce

Triple Crown in '66? I did not know this though, it makes sense if so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Robinson
Robinson was a renowned hitter in his playing days; it got him into the Hall of Fame. (He's still the only player ever to win Most Valuable Player awards in both leagues.)

He was also baseball's first black manager and got to manage sixteen major league seasons.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2019, 02:49:22 am »
John Dingell, Jr.
Michigan Democrat who spent almost 60 years in Congress dies at 92

Dingell ascended to Congress following the death of his father John Dingell, Sr.; between the two of them, someone named "John Dingell" represented suburban Detroit from 1932 until John Jr. retired after the 2014 elections. A relic of his father's Roosevelt-era New Deal politics, Dingell was pro-union and in favor of expanding the welfare state, while at the same time one of the Democratic Party's most staunch Second Amendment defenders, at one point serving on the board of the NRA.

Obituary from Politico

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 02:53:05 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2019, 03:00:38 am »
John Dingell, Jr.
Michigan Democrat who spent almost 60 years in Congress dies at 92

Dingell ascended to Congress following the death of his father John Dingell, Sr.; between the two of them, someone named "John Dingell" represented suburban Detroit from 1932 until John Jr. retired after the 2014 elections. A relic of his father's Roosevelt-era New Deal politics, Dingell was pro-union and in favor of expanding the welfare state, while at the same time one of the Democratic Party's most staunch Second Amendment defenders, at one point serving on the board of the NRA.

Obituary from Politico

Wikipedia

Oh well. How 'bout them Hawkeyes?
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2019, 03:17:40 am »

Radio Host Dead at 49 After Being Struck by Amtrak Train

Conservative talk radio host Michael “Doc” Thompson was killed by an Amtrak train on Tuesday.

Thompson, 49, was struck while jogging along the train tracks in Haltom City, Texas, The Dallas News reported. Wireless earbuds were found at the scene of the accident. It’s not yet clear if they belonged to the radio host.

https://newsbreakinglive.com/2019/02/07/radio-host-dead-at-49-after-being-struck-by-amtrak-train/

This is shocking, happened two days ago...

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2019, 04:51:30 am »

This is shocking, happened two days ago...

Sometimes stupid not only hurts, it will kill you dead.  I am very failure with that area. We had to cross those tracks that ran North South parallel to Hwy 377 to get anywhere from I-35W. 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2019, 05:04:16 am »
Sometimes stupid not only hurts, it will kill you dead.  I am very failure with that area. We had to cross those tracks that ran North South parallel to Hwy 377 to get anywhere from I-35W.

Yeah but you crossed those tracks and didn't run down them with earbuds blasting. I liked Docs show but this has Darwin Award written all over it.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2019, 05:20:01 am »
Yeah but you crossed those tracks and didn't run down them with earbuds blasting. I liked Docs show but this has Darwin Award written all over it.

I am surprised it was an Amtrak Train that kilt him.  There are at least 30 BSNF trains running up and down those tracks.   I should mention that corridor is a Quiet Zone. No Train whistles allowed.   It is very possible this dumbass never knew what hit him.