Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106356 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 12:40:32 pm »
Carol Channing
Film and stage actress dies at 97

Channing is considered one of Broadway's most legendary performers. She originated the role in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes later taken by Marilyn Monroe in film. She briefly replaced Gracie Allen as the comic sidekick of George Burns in the late 1950s. Her biggest and most famous role was that of the title character in Hello Dolly! in 1964, following that up with a nearly as well-known turn as the title flapper in the film version Thoroughly Modern Millie, which in turn was succeeded by a thoroughly surreal turn in the drug comedy Skidoo.

Her persona was self-consciously camp, with large glasses, big hair and copious lipstick to accentuate her naturally large lips.

She continued to perform throughout her life, dying less than a month before what would have been her 98th birthday. She attributed her long life to picky eating and being a teetotaller.

Obituary from HuffPost

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2019, 01:24:17 pm »
Farewell, Dolly.

RIP
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2019, 05:37:58 pm »
When I was in my teens, my aunt took me to see Miss Channing  perform and that is when I became a real fan of hers.  She was absolutely marvelous.  Rest in peace, Miss Channing.

Sorry...

Offline verga

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 10:25:28 pm »
She was an amazing performer
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2019, 03:12:59 pm »
Whitey Shafer
Country songwriter known for collaborations with Lefty Frizzell, Moe Bandy and George Strait dies at 84

Sanger D. Shafer first rose to prominence as a songwriter in the 1970s when he signed with Acuff-Rose Music. He had modest success in the 1970s writing songs for Lefty Frizzell, but he perhaps made his biggest impact in the 1980s, after a string of bad divorces prompted him to write "All My Exes Live in Texas," a huge hit for George Strait. Riding the boom in the late-80s taste for traditional country sounds, Shafer wrote another country chart-topper for Strait, "Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind," then penned one for Keith Whitley, "I Wonder Do You Think of Me." He continued to write hit songs into the 1990s.

Shafer died January 12.

Obituary from WFAA

Wikipedia

"All My Exes Live in Texas" as performed by George Strait

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2019, 04:43:18 pm »
Navajo Code Talker Alfred K. Newman dead at 94

Alfred K. Newman, one of the last surviving Navajo Code Talkers, died at the age of 94 on Sunday in New Mexico.

Newman, who used his native language to outsmart the Japanese in World War II by helping to create an uncrackable code, died at a nursing home in Bloomfield, New Mexico.

“Navajo Code Talker Alfred Newman was a hero, and he stood amongst giants,” tribal President Russell Begaye told the Arizona Republic. “We will be forever grateful for his contributions and bravery, as well as that of each and every one of our Navajo Code Talkers. They are national treasures.”

More

Wikipedia

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2019, 04:49:42 pm »
Mason Lowe
Top-20 ranked pro bull rider dies at 25 from injuries sustained during a PBR event

Lowe, originally from Exeter, Missouri, was ranked at number 18 in the world when, during a ride on the bull Hard Times in a PBR event January 15, he fell off the bull, which proceeded to stomp on Lowe's chest, killing him.

Obituary from KCNC

PBR stats

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2019, 06:01:52 pm »
Mason Lowe
Top-20 ranked pro bull rider dies at 25 from injuries sustained during a PBR event

Lowe, originally from Exeter, Missouri, was ranked at number 18 in the world when, during a ride on the bull Hard Times in a PBR event January 15, he fell off the bull, which proceeded to stomp on Lowe's chest, killing him.

Obituary from KCNC

PBR stats

ANY agressive contact between the rider and the bull,the bull wins,and you have to physically see one move yourself in real life to gain any understanding of how fast something that big and strong can move. It is a guarantee that you WILL do the best you can do to outrun one,and that you will die tired if you ever try.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2019, 09:06:43 pm »
Eli Grba, the Original Angel, dies at 84

Eli Grba, the first player to throw a pitch for the Angels, died Monday night in Florence, Ala., after a three-month battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 84.

Grba, a bespectacled pitcher with a penchant for partying and a competitive spirit, was known as the Original Angel. With the opening selection of MLB’s first expansion draft in December 1960, Angels general manager Fred Haney made Grba the first addition to the Angels’ inaugural roster.

“I’m a trivia question until I die,” Grba said in a 2011 television interview. “I’m the first guy that’s ever been drafted — and the first Angel. You know, that’s kind of nice.”

More

Wikipedia

Career stats

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 11:16:15 pm »
ANY agressive contact between the rider and the bull,the bull wins,and you have to physically see one move yourself in real life to gain any understanding of how fast something that big and strong can move. It is a guarantee that you WILL do the best you can do to outrun one,and that you will die tired if you ever try.
That's what makes 'rodeo clown" an important and dangerous job. Those guys have saved a lot of riders, through distracting the bull, or direct action (moving injured riders, helping them get untangled from their rig, etc..)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:03 pm »
A lot of them coming in today.

John C. Bogle
Founder of the trillion-dollar Vanguard Group dies at 89

Born into a family that lost everything to the Great Depression, he secured a scholarship to an elite private academy at the end of World War II and parlayed that into attendance at Princeton University. In 1975, after botching a merger at his previous employer, he founded the Vanguard Group. Built on a model of client ownership, the company eventually ballooned to a $5 trillion value. Because of the structure of the company, Bogle himself had a net worth of about 0.002% of that, less than $100 million.

He preached a very conservative, broad-based, "buy-and-hold" approach to investing and saving. He is credited with inventing the "index fund" that follows particular stock indexes, as well as for lowering the cost of overhead required to invest in the stock market.

Beleaguered by health problems his entire life, including a heart attack at age 31, Bogle received a heart transplant at 65. He died at age 89.

Obituary from CNBC

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:23:19 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2019, 02:47:12 am »

Germs bassist Lorna Doom reportedly dies at 50

Bassist Lorna Doom (Teresa Ryan) of the legendary LA punk band the Germs has reportedly died at the age of 50. Her passing was confirmed via Facebook by former Germs drummer Don Bolles.

“Lorna” was all Bolles wrote in a Facebook post, later adding in the comments, “she left this mortal coil today around 1.”

------

Don't remember her but remember The Germs. RIP.
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2019, 04:35:45 pm »
Bradley Bolke
Voice actor dies at 93

Bolke's career flourished mostly in the 1960s and early 1970s. Aided by his brother Dayton Allen, he mainly secured minor and supporting roles in shows like Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales (Chumley the Walrus), Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev on the comedy album The First Family, and an elf named Jangle Bells in the TV special The Year Without a Santa Claus.

Obituary from MSN

Wikipedia

IMDB

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2019, 11:05:29 pm »
Turk Schonert
Backup quarterback turned NFL assistant coach dies at 62

🐅15
Schonert's jersey number with Cincinnati

Schonert was a backup quarterback who spent nine seasons in the NFL, most of them with the Cincinnati Bengals, where he was a member of the Bengals' two Super Bowl-losing teams. Despite poor individual statistics (nearly twice as many interceptions as touchdowns), his win-loss record in the 12 games he started was a respectable 7-5.

Schonert spent much of the next two decades as an assistant coach in the NFL, working as a quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator to mixed success. His lone head coaching job was in the UFL, coaching the Sacramento Mountain Lions during the team's last, financially-strapped season in 2012.

Schonert died January 17, two days after turning 62.

Death notice from Pro Football Talk

Wikipedia

NFL stats
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:07:37 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2019, 09:28:18 pm »
Glen Wood
Co-founder of the longest-running racing team in NASCAR dies at 93

Wood, along with his brother Leonard, established Wood Brothers Racing in 1950. Notable for being staunch loyalists to Ford Motor Company, all of their vehicles to date have been Fords. Himself a competent, although never elite, driver, he spent 12 years on the NASCAR Grand National circuit (1953 to 1964) and his company has continued to field cars in the top-level series ever since (the number 21 was long associated with the company), known for their expertise in fast pit stops. In addition to their long track record in NASCAR, they also served as a pit crew for the winning entry in the 1965 Indianapolis 500, their only appearance in that race. Notable racers in the number 21 car over the years included David Pearson, Neil Bonnett, Kyle Petty, Morgan Shepherd, Michael Waltrip, Elliott Sadler, Ricky Rudd, Trevor Bayne, Ryan Blaney and most recently Paul Menard.

Wood is a member of the NASCAR Hall of Fame and was named one of the sport's 50 Greatest Drivers (despite his mediocre personal record) of its first 50 years in 1998. Wood died January 18 of old age-related diseases.

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wood Brothers Racing on Wikipedia

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2019, 07:06:33 pm »
Boo
Internet celebrity dubbed the "world's cutest dog" dies at 12

The Pomeranian with a short haircut quickly earned a reputation as the World's Cutest Dog, having tens of millions of followers on social media.

Boo died January 18 of what its owners suspected was broken heart syndrome stemming from the recent death of Boo's brother.

Obituary from People magazine

Wikipedia

Offline berdie

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2019, 10:26:37 pm »
I had never heard of him before today.  But I have to admit he's cute as all get out.  Died pretty young for a dog that small.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2019, 06:01:27 am »
I had never heard of him before today.  But I have to admit he's cute as all get out.  Died pretty young for a dog that small.
Somebody says Boo to you for 12 years, eventually it's gonna get ya! At 12 he was at the low end, they generally live 12-16 years. Still that seems short for a small breed. My Mastador is an old man going on eleven, but then he's a big dog 150 pounds.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2019, 09:52:45 am »
The movie 'Argo' portrayed Tony Mendez.

‘Argo’ spy Tony Mendez who smuggled U.S. hostages out of Iran dies aged 78 following battle with Parkinson's and Ben Affleck who played him in the movie dubs him 'a true American hero'

Former spy Tony Mendez died Saturday after a battle with Parkinson's disease
    The 25-year CIA veteran left behind his wife Joanna and son Jesse
    His work inspired the 2012 film Argo starring Ben Affleck
    He smuggled six State Department employees out of Tehran during the 1979-1981 hostage crisis in Iran by posing as an Irish filmmaker with his crew
    Affleck paid tribute to Mendez in a tweet calling him 'a true American hero'

Tony Mendez, the spy who inspired the 2012 thriller movie Argo, passed away Saturday after a battle with Parkinson's disease. he is seen here in a photo from the 80s

Published: 01:09 EST, 20 January 2019 | Updated: 01:55 EST, 20 January 2019

Read more at: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6611817/Ben-Affleck-pays-tribute-Tony-Mendez-Argo-spy-dies-aged-78-following-Parkinsons-battle.html   

Sorry...

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2019, 05:42:37 pm »
Somebody says Boo to you for 12 years, eventually it's gonna get ya! At 12 he was at the low end, they generally live 12-16 years. Still that seems short for a small breed. My Mastador is an old man going on eleven, but then he's a big dog 150 pounds.
My German shorthair pointer, Lola, died last June . . . at age 20, four years longer than her breed is known at maximum to live.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2019, 09:23:29 pm »
My German shorthair pointer, Lola, died last June . . . at age 20, four years longer than her breed is known at maximum to live.
You were blessed to have those extra years of companionship and obviously lavished her with love  and care that she stayed the extra years. My old man is not quite a giant breed being only half English Mastiff but he looks like a giant next to most Labradors. he is starting to have more joint issues with arthritis and I count each day as special.

There is nothing quite like the relationship and love between a dog and it's human.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2019, 09:37:36 pm »
Boo
Internet celebrity dubbed the "world's cutest dog" dies at 12

The Pomeranian with a short haircut quickly earned a reputation as the World's Cutest Dog, having tens of millions of followers on social media.

Boo died January 18 of what its owners suspected was broken heart syndrome stemming from the recent death of Boo's brother.

Obituary from People magazine

Wikipedia

In all fairness, the ancient dogs from 10,000 years ago would laugh at dogs like Boo..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline berdie

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2019, 12:04:00 am »
Somebody says Boo to you for 12 years, eventually it's gonna get ya! .

That's the truth!!

My SIL had a black cat named Boo that escaped on Halloween.  She walked thru a new neighborhood calling for him. She was afraid the neighbors were going to call the people in the while coats on her. 88finger point

Offline verga

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2019, 06:55:45 pm »

That's the truth!!

My SIL had a black cat named Boo that escaped on Halloween.  She walked thru a new neighborhood calling for him. She was afraid the neighbors were going to call the people in the while coats on her. 88finger point
We had two Lab Cocker mixes. One was named Boo after the Lobo Song: Me and you and a dog named Boo, the other was named Jake after the Hoyt Axton song: Della and he dealer and a dog named Jake.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2019, 11:56:56 am »
Maxine Brown of the Browns has passed on.

"The Three Bells" was there most well-known hit.

Sorry...

Country Music Hall of Famer Maxine Brown Russell of The Browns dead at 87
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2019/01/21/country-music-hall-famer-maxine-brown-russell-browns-died/2640920002/

That song to me, was always one of those very unique types of songs, nothing really sounded like it. It was adapted from a French song which Edith Piaf performed. It's true true origins, I'm unsure about.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:04:58 pm by TomSea »