Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106341 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 02:58:26 pm »
W. Morgan Sheppard
Actor known as Blank Reg on Max Headroom and for recurring roles in the Star Trek franchise dies at 86

Sheppard also, in his later years, portrayed Santa Claus several times, including in a Hallmark movie and in the animated limited series Prep & Landing. He had a prolific career in film and television bit roles and as a voice actor, spanning from 1962 until shortly before his death, and, as a classically trained Shakespearean actor, also appeared on stage.

Obituary from the Daily Mirror

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:21 pm »
Mary Kay Stearns
Television's first sitcom star dies at 93

In the late 1940s, as television was just beginning to become a mass medium, Stearns and her husband Johnny, both Broadway actors, were hired by the Du-Mont Television Network for a new comedy for their fledgling network. They secured the sponsorship of Anacin, who was skeptical of the medium, expecting the series debut to be seen by only about 200 people. Through a free giveaway promotion, they soon realized that the viewership was instead in the tens of thousands.

Mary Kay and Johnny proved to be one of Du-Mont's first and biggest hit series. The show was a roughly fictionalized version of their own lives, with their son and friends playing themselves and the couple writing all of their own scripts. The show would eventually get some episodes aired on the bigger networks NBC and CBS.

Unfortunately for posterity purposes, Mary Kay and Johnny was largely forgotten by the 1970s, and its program archive was mostly discarded; other than a few clips and a single full episode, none of which have made it to the Internet yet, the remainder of the series was last known to be sitting at the bottom of the East River or Upper New York Bay since the tapes were dumped there in 1975. Thus, bigger names with longer reputations on film and radio, such as Lucille Ball, Gracie Allen and Betty White would overshadow Mary Kay. The couple largely stopped performing after the 1950, further contributing to the rarity.

Johnny died in 2001. Mary Kay died November 17, but her death was not reported until January 2019.

Obituary from Deadline/MSN

Wikipedia

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 09:24:23 pm »
Mary Kay Stearns
Television's first sitcom star dies at 93

In the late 1940s, as television was just beginning to become a mass medium, Stearns and her husband Johnny, both Broadway actors, were hired by the Du-Mont Television Network for a new comedy for their fledgling network. They secured the sponsorship of Anacin, who was skeptical of the medium, expecting the series debut to be seen by only about 200 people. Through a free giveaway promotion, they soon realized that the viewership was instead in the tens of thousands.

Mary Kay and Johnny proved to be one of Du-Mont's first and biggest hit series. The show was a roughly fictionalized version of their own lives, with their son and friends playing themselves and the couple writing all of their own scripts. The show would eventually get some episodes aired on the bigger networks NBC and CBS.

Unfortunately for posterity purposes, Mary Kay and Johnny was largely forgotten by the 1970s, and its program archive was mostly discarded; other than a few clips and a single full episode, none of which have made it to the Internet yet, the remainder of the series was last known to be sitting at the bottom of the East River or Upper New York Bay since the tapes were dumped there in 1975. Thus, bigger names with longer reputations on film and radio, such as Lucille Ball, Gracie Allen and Betty White would overshadow Mary Kay. The couple largely stopped performing after the 1950, further contributing to the rarity.

Johnny died in 2001. Mary Kay died November 17, but her death was not reported until January 2019.

Obituary from Deadline/MSN

Wikipedia
@jmyrlefuller
What happened to the DuMont network archive was a crime---a successor network, likely Metromedia (which evolved in due course into Fox), dumped just about all the DuMont kinescopes into New York's East River. It's believed that only 350 of DuMont's 20,000+ television episodes survive, mostly involving Jackie Gleason's Honeymooners sketches from his original Cavalcade of Stars show (from which CBS ultimately hired him for the original Jackie Gleason Show), but also involving items from the personal archives of Gleason and other DuMont stars such as Dennis James and possibly the family of Ernie Kovacs. (The same thing, unfortunately, was done with several thousand transcription discs of vintage network radio programs, especially Procter & Gamble's destruction of over three thousand transcription discs of radio legend Vic & Sade after World War II. Two hundred Vic & Sade episodes survived that destruction and can be heard today, but you wonder what Procter & Gamble wasn't thinking as opposed to what Johnson Wax and Carnation were thinking when they allowed just about everything from a quarter century of Fibber McGee & Molly [the show's latter-year 15-minute semi-serial-style episodes survived, I believe, by way of "Fibber McGee" actor Jim Jordan himself] to survive.)

Until CBS and Time Warner closed down the WB and UPN networks to create the CW in their stead, the DuMont network was the only American television network ever to shutter.

RIP Ms. Stearns. Your place in broadcast history is secure. But it might have been nice to see your show.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:26:58 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 09:24:59 pm »
Your avatar is so apropos in this category,  @jmyrlefuller          :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 10:59:16 pm »
Verna Bloom, Actress in ‘Animal House,’ ‘High Plains Drifter,’ Dies at 80

Verna Bloom, who appeared in “Animal House” and worked with the likes of Martin Scorsese, died Jan. 9 in Bar Harbor, Maine, her rep confirmed to Variety. She was 80 years old.

The cause was complications of dementia, her family stated.

More

Wikipedia

IMDb

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 11:15:14 pm »
Ah...Marion Wormer from Animal House. A fun part.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 11:54:34 pm »
Your avatar is so apropos in this category,  @jmyrlefuller          :laugh:
It's why I chose it. Toward the end of last year I got several messages from the staff here asking me "So, you're doing the obituary thread again this year, right?"

So yeah, I'm the board's resident Grim Reaper now.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2019, 09:35:59 pm »
RIP, M'am, until y'all meet again.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 09:45:02 pm »

Yep! First R rated movie I ever saw
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 09:53:35 pm »

Cucumbers.... Oh my!   
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 09:54:11 pm »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 10:00:35 pm »
 tri22
With Mozart
Not sure of your reference there....
"A summer place" is playing when she arrives at the Delta House. 

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 10:31:58 pm »
tri22Not sure of your reference there....

That's Percy Faith, right?   :cool:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 10:34:45 pm »
That's Percy Faith, right?   :cool:
@DCPatriot
That's the version.

Though my own favourite Percy Faith recording is still the version of this that New York CBS used as theme music for The Late Show, The Late Late Show, and (for a decade, anyway, at 4 p.m.) The Early Show . . .

Sorry...

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 10:41:33 pm »
@DCPatriot
That's the version.

Though my own favourite Percy Faith recording is still the version of this that New York CBS used as theme music for The Late Show, The Late Late Show, and (for a decade, anyway, at 4 p.m.) The Early Show . . .

Sorry...

LOL!  Seems I recall snips of that being played during Tom & Jerry, or Bugs Bunny or Yosemite Sam.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 10:41:40 pm »
tri22Not sure of your reference there....

The guy who played Kroger in Animal House was Mozart in that movie.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 10:45:28 pm »
LOL!  Seems I recall snips of that being played during Tom & Jerry, or Bugs Bunny or Yosemite Sam.

And Mash

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 10:59:11 pm »
The guy who played Kroger in Animal House was Mozart in that movie.

Oh!  LOL...   

Snowflake's would ban this today.  Bunch of Homo's! 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 11:39:35 pm »
Cause of death not indicated.
Steve Buscemi’s wife, Jo Andres, filmmaker and choreographer, dies age 65
By Kathleen Joyce | Fox News

Emmy Award-winning actor Steve Buscemi’s wife, Jo Andres, has died at the age of 65.  A source close to the family confirmed her death to Fox News.

The two wed in 1987 and have one son, Lucian, E! News reported.

Andres was a choreographer, filmmaker and artist. She gained prominence with her “film/dance/light performances,” her website stated.  ... More at FOX
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2019, 12:01:47 am »
Pat Boone's Wife of 65 Years, Shirley, Dies: 'I've Parted with My Better Half for a Little While'
Joelle Goldstein
20 hrs ago

Shirley Boone, the wife of legendary 1950’s singer Pat Boone, has died. She was 84.

Shirley passed away peacefully on Friday morning at the pair’s home in Beverly Hills after suffering complications from vasculitis, which she had contracted less than a year ago.

In her final moments, Shirley was surrounded by her husband of 65 years and the couple’s four daughters, Cherry, Lindy, Debby and Laury, all of whom were by her bedside singing hymns to her as she passed.

Following her death, Pat, 84, told PEOPLE that he intended to meet his longtime love again someday because, as he put it, she just changed addresses.

“We lived a wonderful, blessed life together for 65 years. I’ve parted with my better half for a little while… but we don’t die, we just move on to another place, and today was moving day,” Pat said of his high school sweetheart. “She’s changed her address is all and moved to a different mansion that I expect to join her in one day.” ...
More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2019, 05:35:41 pm »
Bob Kuechenberg
Six-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman and member of the undefeated '72 Dolphins dies at 71

🐬67
Kuechenberg's number with the Dolphins

Beginning his career with the Chicago Owls of the Continental Football League, Kuechenberg, who attended Notre Dame, signed with the Dolphins in 1970. He would stay with the Dolphins for the next 14 seasons, racking up six Pro Bowls and two Super Bowl championships. Remarkably, Kuechenberg only averaged one holding penalty per year for his entire career.

He has been repeatedly nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame (eight times in a row at one point) but has never been inducted. A staunch conservative, Kuechenberg refused to visit the White House in 2013 when Obama invited the team.

Kuechenberg died January 12. No cause of death was stated.

Obituary from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Wikipedia

NFL stats

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2019, 06:01:34 pm »
Bob Kuechenberg
Six-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman and member of the undefeated '72 Dolphins dies at 71

🐬67
Kuechenberg's number with the Dolphins

Beginning his career with the Chicago Owls of the Continental Football League, Kuechenberg, who attended Notre Dame, signed with the Dolphins in 1970. He would stay with the Dolphins for the next 14 seasons, racking up six Pro Bowls and two Super Bowl championships. Remarkably, Kuechenberg only averaged one holding penalty per year for his entire career.

He has been repeatedly nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame (eight times in a row at one point) but has never been inducted. A staunch conservative, Kuechenberg refused to visit the White House in 2013 when Obama invited the team.

Kuechenberg died January 12. No cause of death was stated.

Obituary from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Wikipedia

NFL stats

My favorite all-time Dolphins player.  RIP Kooch!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2019, 06:30:08 pm »
"Beginning his career with the Chicago Owls of the Continental Football League"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Owls

I've read up on the other leagues before, I was not aware of this "Continental Football League".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Football_League

That's interesting.

In our prayers and thoughts, Bob Kuechenberg.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:36:02 pm by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:01 pm »
Former Yankees pitcher and coach Mel Stottlemyre dies at 77

Mel Stottlemyre, who pitched for the New York Yankees for 11 seasons and won five World Series titles as a pitching coach for the Yankees and the Mets, died Sunday in Seattle after battling cancer for almost 20 years. He was 77.

Stottlemyre's wife Jean told the New York Times that he died as a result of complications of multiple myeloma, a type of blood cancer . . .

Stottlemyre's first attention came as a rookie in 1964, when he was called up in August and won nine of twelve decisions down that stretch to abet the Yankee comeback pennant, beat Bob Gibson in Game Two of that World Series, then was the Yankees' best pitcher mostly during their lost decade to come until shoulder issues ruined him.

RIP.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:57:43 pm by EasyAce »