Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 106391 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #850 on: September 14, 2019, 12:27:44 am »
That was a performance on Solid Gold.  Solid Gold had a lot of bad lip synching.  Maybe this one is better?  From the David Letterman show in 1988:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Much better! Now can you find one without Paul Shaffer making piano faces? :0012:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #851 on: September 16, 2019, 12:02:50 am »
I just got a breaking news flash that Ric Ocasek died in New York tonight at the age of 75.

Really bummed. I loved and still love The Cars.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Ric-Ocasek-Cars-Singer-Dead-in-NY-at-75-560430391.html

Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Ric Ocasek, lead singer of the rock band The Cars, died Sunday in New York at age 75.
Police said they received a call around 4 p.m. for an unconscious male at a townhouse on East 19th Street. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Law enforcement sources confirmed the deceased was Ocasek
Ocasek and his band were inducted into the Rock Hall in 2018. The institution described the band as "hook-savvy with the perfect combo of new wave and classic rock."
The band had 13 top-40 singles, and Ocasek went on to a successful producing career after The Cars broke up in the late 1980s.
He was also known for his long-running marriage to the Czech supermodel Paulina Porizkova. She announced their separation in 2018 after 28 years of marriage.
They listed the 19th Street residence for sale earlier this year for more than $15 million.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:03:59 am by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

« Reply #852 on: September 16, 2019, 12:12:58 am »
Thanks @Gefn   first Eddie Money, now Ric Ocasek.  Scary to realize that these guys are in my age bracket. 

Rest in peace, Ric Ocaskek.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #853 on: September 16, 2019, 12:13:18 am »
I'm very sorry to hear that.  Very tragic, I wouldn't have expected that. Prayers for Ric Ocasek.

Yes, I know a number of their songs, they have had a lot of radio play, so, that's two well known rockers dead in 3 days.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #854 on: September 16, 2019, 12:24:04 am »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #855 on: September 16, 2019, 12:29:26 am »
so, that's two well known rockers dead in 3 days.
Which probably means a third is coming.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #856 on: September 16, 2019, 12:57:05 am »
Which probably means a third is coming.
Not this guy. He'll last forever.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #857 on: September 16, 2019, 12:59:29 am »
Still my favourite song by the Cars . . .

The Cars, "Drive"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

RIP Ric Ocasek

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #858 on: September 16, 2019, 01:41:14 am »
Yikes. The Cars were essential listening cruising the strip back in the day. Didn't realize Ocasek was even that old.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #859 on: September 16, 2019, 02:46:49 am »

This was the very first album I ever bought with my own money.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #860 on: September 16, 2019, 04:22:27 am »
Well shit.  RIP Ric.  "Drive" was not my fav, but i really liked  " Moving in Stereo" and "Good Times Roll"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #861 on: September 16, 2019, 12:14:42 pm »

If you’re a guy and don’t associate this Fast Times scene with Moving In Stereo, you’re either too young or gay.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #862 on: September 16, 2019, 12:27:37 pm »

If you’re a guy and don’t associate this Fast Times scene with Moving In Stereo, you’re either too young or gay.

Phoebe Cates and maybe the most replayed (slow-mo) 10 seconds in cinematic history.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #863 on: September 16, 2019, 11:02:13 pm »
Heart disease killed Ric Ocasek, lead singer of The Cars, according to medical examiner

Ric Ocasek, lead singer of The Cars, died from cardiac arrest that was brought on by heart disease, authorities said Monday.

The Office of Chief Medical Examiner of the City of New York formally listed the rocker's cause of death as "hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease" with a contributing factor of emphysema, a disease regularly associated with smokers.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/heart-disease-killed-ric-ocasek-lead-singer-cars-according-medical-n1055106

Offline skeeter

« Reply #864 on: September 16, 2019, 11:34:51 pm »
Phoebe Cates and maybe the most replayed (slow-mo) 10 seconds in cinematic history.

Immediately followed by 10 more seconds of every 17 year old boy's absolute worst nightmare. It was an eighties classic, as were the Cars.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #865 on: September 16, 2019, 11:36:06 pm »
Heart disease killed Ric Ocasek, lead singer of The Cars, according to medical examiner

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/heart-disease-killed-ric-ocasek-lead-singer-cars-according-medical-n1055106

@Applewood

Call me a pessimist,but I am guessing being 75 had something to do with it,too.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #866 on: September 16, 2019, 11:37:47 pm »
Immediately followed by 10 more seconds of every 17 year old boy's absolute worst nightmare. It was an eighties classic, as were the Cars.

@skeeter

What happened? I don't think I watched 3 movies from around 1965 to 1990 something,so I missed it.  Probably haven't seen more than a dozen since then,and all but two were streamed.

Didn't watch tv,either.

Ahhh,for the good old days,when I had an actual life to live!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:38:45 pm by sneakypete »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #867 on: September 16, 2019, 11:49:51 pm »
@skeeter

What happened? I don't think I watched 3 movies from around 1965 to 1990 something,so I missed it.  Probably haven't seen more than a dozen since then,and all but two were streamed.

Didn't watch tv,either.

Ahhh,for the good old days,when I had an actual life to live!

The Pheobe Cate's scene was imagined by Judge Rheinhold's character, and she walked in on him in the bathroom while he was, well, acting out.

Anyway, back to the obits thread.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:50:54 pm by skeeter »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #868 on: September 16, 2019, 11:58:49 pm »
The Pheobe Cate's scene was imagined by Judge Rheinhold's character, and she walked in on him in the bathroom while he was, well, acting out.

Anyway, back to the obits thread.

@skeeter

I suspect she has been the star of a LOT of similar "brain videos".

Offline Applewood

« Reply #869 on: September 17, 2019, 12:05:28 am »
@Applewood

Call me a pessimist,but I am guessing being 75 had something to do with it,too.

@sneakypete

For many of these rockers, making it into their 70s is something of a rarity

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #870 on: September 17, 2019, 01:24:09 am »
@sneakypete

For many of these rockers, making it into their 70s is something of a rarity

@Applewood

Making it THROUGH the 70's was an accomplishment in itself for most of them.

I sure wish Janis had been one of the ones that made it. I can still get chills when I hear her voice on a recording.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #871 on: September 17, 2019, 01:57:35 am »
@Applewood

Making it THROUGH the 70's was an accomplishment in itself for most of them.

I sure wish Janis had been one of the ones that made it. I can still get chills when I hear her voice on a recording.

@sneakypete

Yeah.  Janis.  Hendrix too -- amazing guitar player.  But so many of them died young because of irresponsibility and bad choices.  The ones who got clean (or stayed clean), took responsibility -- they survived. 

What is sad is that these young artists today -- many of them haven't learned from the bad choices Janis and Hendrix made.  So many of them are dying young.  There was a local  rapper here named Mac Miller.  Was really making his mark.   Then last year he overdosed -- dead at 26.   Last week, there was a celebration to mark the anniversary of his death.  I guess the event was comforting to his family and friends, but the concept of celebration struck a wrong chord with me.  What was there to celebrate?  A guy who had it all (or it was coming his way) who blew it all by killing himself with drugs.  Is that something to celebrate?  What does this say to his young fans?  That  it's wonderful to make bad choices and end up dead way too young?

I mourn the death of Ric Ocasek -- and that of Eddie Money a few days before -- but I am grateful these guys have passed from natural causes after a full life, not from any irresponsible behavior of theirs at a young age.

Offline Millee

« Reply #872 on: September 17, 2019, 02:36:44 pm »
Cokie Roberts, veteran journalist, political commentator and author, dead at 75, ABC says citing family

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/cokie-roberts-veteran-journalist-political-commentator-and-author-dead-at-75-abc-says-citing-family

Offline musiclady

« Reply #873 on: September 17, 2019, 02:40:32 pm »
Cokie Roberts, veteran journalist, political commentator and author, dead at 75, ABC says citing family

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/cokie-roberts-veteran-journalist-political-commentator-and-author-dead-at-75-abc-says-citing-family

Was she sick?  Or is this unexpected?
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #874 on: September 17, 2019, 03:00:35 pm »
@musiclady

A bit more detail here:

Legendary ABC News political journalist Cokie Roberts dies at age 75

Legendary ABC News political journalist Cokie Roberts has died due to complications from breast cancer on Tuesday. She was 75 years old.
…
Born on December 27, 1943, Roberts was the daughter of longtime U.S. Representatives Hale Boggs and Lindy Boggs, who won her husband's seat when he died in a plane crash. Together they represented New Orleans for 46 years. Through them, Cokie got a front-row seat to politics.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/legendary-abc-news-political-journalist-cokie-roberts-dies-at-age-75/ar-AAHqKJC?ocid=spartanntp