Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 107381 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #1075 on: October 28, 2019, 08:56:23 pm »

Former North Carolina U.S. Senator Kay Hagan dies

RALEIGH, N.C. — Kay Hagan, a former bank executive who rose from a budget writer in the North Carolina Legislature to a seat in the U.S. Senate, died Monday. She was 66.

Hagan died of encephalitis, or brain inflammation, caused by Powassan virus, a rare virus spread from ticks to humans, her former Senate spokeswoman Sadie Weiner said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/28/former-north-carolina-senator-kay-hagan-dies-060172

The Republic is lost.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #1076 on: October 28, 2019, 09:04:43 pm »

Former North Carolina U.S. Senator Kay Hagan dies

RALEIGH, N.C. — Kay Hagan, a former bank executive who rose from a budget writer in the North Carolina Legislature to a seat in the U.S. Senate, died Monday. She was 66.

Hagan died of encephalitis, or brain inflammation, caused by Powassan virus, a rare virus spread from ticks to humans, her former Senate spokeswoman Sadie Weiner said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/28/former-north-carolina-senator-kay-hagan-dies-060172

Cummings, Conyers and now Hagan....bad week for Rats.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1077 on: October 28, 2019, 09:36:52 pm »
Cummings, Conyers and now Hagan....bad week for Rats.
Yeah. Makes you wonder what they knew....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1078 on: October 28, 2019, 09:48:27 pm »
Yeah. Makes you wonder what they knew....
Hey, Hillary ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1079 on: October 28, 2019, 11:57:00 pm »
Yep. Gettin' over on the man! is seen as a plus by some constituents. He wasn't the only one kept in office, at least in part, by that mindset.

@Smokin Joe

He was a rank amateur comparted to JJ and Sharpie.  Sharpie was so slick he lived in a mansion for years,flew all around the world First Class,and never paid any taxes because the government could never prove he had any income.

I have no freaking idea how he got away with this,but he did.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1080 on: October 29, 2019, 03:06:42 am »
Japanese breaking news is reporting Sadako Ogata passed away, she was a UN High Commissioner on Refugees.

Sadako Ogata, first female United Nation High Commissioner for Refugees, dies at 92
Staff Report
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/10/29/national/sadako-ogata-dies/

Then-U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees Sadako Ogata visits Sarajevo, in Bosnia and Herzegovia, in July 1993. | © UNHCR/S.FOA
National / History | Heisei Icons   
Sadako Ogata: Waging peace on war
by Chisato Tanaka

A 1993 photograph of a diminutive, sexagenarian woman surveying the front lines of conflict has left an indelible mark on the international community as a true example of commitment to humanitarian aid.

The woman was Sadako Ogata, a scholar and mother of two, who in 1991 was appointed the first female United Nation High Commissioner for Refugees. It coincided with the end of the Cold War — just two years after Japan began the Heisei Era.

What awaited the chief of the U.N. refugee agency was an eruption of civil conflicts and ethnic cleansing unleashed by the disintegration of the Soviet Union.

Then-U.N. refugees chief Sadako Ogata is welcomed by Rwandan refugees in Congo in February 1995. | © UNHCR/PANOS MOUMTZIS

More at: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/02/14/national/history/sadako-ogata-waging-peace-war/#.XbelZugzaUk

Brookings Institute Bio: https://www.brookings.edu/experts/sadako-ogata/

An interesting individual to find out more on.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1081 on: October 30, 2019, 07:24:33 pm »
Dodgers 3-Time World Series Champion Ron Fairly Passes Away
Ron Fairly had ordinary ability and became an extraordinary player. As a hitter he knew the strike zone, developed a good swing, and became a difficult out . . . he was willing to do whatever he had to do to become the best player he could.---John Roseboro, Dodgers catcher.

In later years Fairly became a much-loved Seattle Mariners broadcaster.

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1082 on: October 31, 2019, 11:03:18 am »
Bernard Slade, 'Partridge Family' Creator and 'Same Time, Next Year' Writer, Dies at 89

Bernard Slade, the Oscar-nominated writer who created The Partridge Family and wrote the enduring romantic comedy Same Time, Next Year for Broadway and the big screen, died Wednesday. He was 89.

Slade died peacefully at his Beverly Hills home from complications of Lewy body dementia, a family rep announced.

In the 1960s and '70s, Slade also developed ABC's The Flying Nun and created NBC's The Girl With Something Extra, two comedies starring Sally Field; created ABC's Love on a Rooftop, featuring Judy Carne, Pete Duel and Rich Little, and CBS' Bridget Loves Bernie, starring David Birney and Meredith Baxter; and served as a story editor and penned 17 episodes for ABC's Bewitched, starring Elizabeth Montgomery.

Both original versions of Same Time, Next Year starred Ellen Burstyn, who won a Tony in 1975 for her stage performance, then earned an Oscar nomination for best actress. She starred opposite Charles Grodin on Broadway and with Alan Alda in the 1978 feature. Slade's work netted him Tony and Oscar noms as well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bernard-slade-dead-partridge-family-creator-was-89-1251174
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1083 on: October 31, 2019, 11:05:11 am »
Bernard Slade, 'Partridge Family' Creator and 'Same Time, Next Year' Writer, Dies at 89

Bernard Slade, the Oscar-nominated writer who created The Partridge Family and wrote the enduring romantic comedy Same Time, Next Year for Broadway and the big screen, died Wednesday. He was 89.

Slade died peacefully at his Beverly Hills home from complications of Lewy body dementia, a family rep announced.

In the 1960s and '70s, Slade also developed ABC's The Flying Nun and created NBC's The Girl With Something Extra, two comedies starring Sally Field; created ABC's Love on a Rooftop, featuring Judy Carne, Pete Duel and Rich Little, and CBS' Bridget Loves Bernie, starring David Birney and Meredith Baxter; and served as a story editor and penned 17 episodes for ABC's Bewitched, starring Elizabeth Montgomery.

Both original versions of Same Time, Next Year starred Ellen Burstyn, who won a Tony in 1975 for her stage performance, then earned an Oscar nomination for best actress. She starred opposite Charles Grodin on Broadway and with Alan Alda in the 1978 feature. Slade's work netted him Tony and Oscar noms as well.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bernard-slade-dead-partridge-family-creator-was-89-1251174

Wow. This man did The Partridge Family, Same Time Next Year, and The Flying Nun? Impressive!
RIP.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1084 on: October 31, 2019, 02:06:28 pm »

@Gefn

"BODY dementia"??????

WTF????

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1085 on: October 31, 2019, 02:18:55 pm »
Lewy body dementia. It's what killed my father. There are things in the brain called Lewy bodies that get messed up. It's very much like Alzheimer's.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1086 on: October 31, 2019, 02:25:22 pm »
Lewy body dementia. It's what killed my father. There are things in the brain called Lewy bodies that get messed up. It's very much like Alzheimer's.

@mountaineer

Thanks! I had never heard of such a thing,and it still doesn't make any sense to me how a body can have dementia.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1087 on: October 31, 2019, 02:51:19 pm »
@mountaineer

Thanks! I had never heard of such a thing,and it still doesn't make any sense to me how a body can have dementia.
I hadn't heard of it either, @sneakypete

From https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/what-lewy-body-dementia#what

Lewy bodies are named for Dr. Friederich Lewy, a German neurologist. In 1912, he discovered abnormal protein deposits that disrupt the brain's normal functioning in people with Parkinson's disease. These abnormal deposits are now called "Lewy bodies."

Lewy bodies are made of a protein called alpha-synuclein. In the healthy brain, alpha-synuclein plays a number of important roles in neurons (nerve cells) in the brain, especially at synapses, where brain cells communicate with each other. In Lewy body dementia, alpha-synuclein forms into clumps inside neurons, starting in areas of the brain that control aspects of memory and movement. This process causes neurons to work less effectively and, eventually, to die.

So it isn't a body dementia, but the Lewy bodies which cause it.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1088 on: October 31, 2019, 03:27:10 pm »
I hadn't heard of it either, @sneakypete

From https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/what-lewy-body-dementia#what

So it isn't a body dementia, but the Lewy bodies which cause it.

@Smokin Joe

Ok,it's NOT "bodies" as in "corpses",but "bodies" as in "elements". That makes a lot more sense.

I don't want to shock anyone but I am not a research scientist in real life,and I have never even played one on teebee,but to simple old me,this seems to ME to be a vehicle to take science forward to other discoveries,maybe even including a cure for insanity in all it's various forms.

Which,when you think of it,also opens a whole bleeping basket of snakes once you ask yourself in your best Rod Sterling voice "If science can use this technology to cure insanity,can't they also use it to CREATE insanity,and weaponize it?"

Please cue "The Twilight Zone" music.

Thank you,and sleep well tonight.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1089 on: October 31, 2019, 03:56:45 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Ok,it's NOT "bodies" as in "corpses",but "bodies" as in "elements". That makes a lot more sense.

I don't want to shock anyone but I am not a research scientist in real life,and I have never even played one on teebee,but to simple old me,this seems to ME to be a vehicle to take science forward to other discoveries,maybe even including a cure for insanity in all it's various forms.

Which,when you think of it,also opens a whole bleeping basket of snakes once you ask yourself in your best Rod Sterling voice "If science can use this technology to cure insanity,can't they also use it to CREATE insanity,and weaponize it?"

Please cue "The Twilight Zone" music.

Thank you,and sleep well tonight.
The answer, of course, is yes. All knowledge is a two edged sword, or the term "evil genius" wouldn't have been coined. Like power, it is something which can be benevolent, neutral, or malevolent, depending on who wields it.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1090 on: November 02, 2019, 07:00:33 pm »
Survivor Contestant Rudy Boesch Dies at 91 After Long Battle with Alzheimer's Disease

Rudy Boesch, one of the first contestants to ever appear on Survivor, has died after a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease, PEOPLE confirms. He was 91.

Boesch, a former Navy Seal, was cast on the inaugural season of the long-running reality show in 2000. Then 72, Boesch finished the season in third place and quickly became a fan favorite due to his lovably cantankerous persona.

“Ours was an interesting bond, Dear Rudy! You and I helped open minds and undermine predjudces [sic]. While your time here has passed, you will remain loved and iconic, dear friend!” Boesch’s closest Survivor ally Richard Hatch tweeted.

https://people.com/tv/survivor-contestant-rudy-boesch-dies/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1091 on: November 02, 2019, 08:02:38 pm »
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Star Brian Tarantina Dead at 60: He 'Had Been Ill Lately,' Rep Says

Brian Tarantina, the actor known for his role in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, has died, PEOPLE confirms. He was 60.

At about 12:40 a.m. on Saturday morning, officers with the New York Police Department received a call about an unconscious person in a Manhattan apartment, a spokesperson with the department confirmed to PEOPLE.

Authorities arrived at the scene to discover Tarantina lying on his couch, and emergency medical services responded and officially pronounced him dead. The New York City medical examiner’s office will determine his official cause of death.

https://people.com/tv/brian-tarantina-dies-age-60/

Offline berdie

« Reply #1092 on: November 02, 2019, 08:11:51 pm »
Survivor Contestant Rudy Boesch Dies at 91 After Long Battle with Alzheimer's Disease

Rudy Boesch, one of the first contestants to ever appear on Survivor, has died after a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease, PEOPLE confirms. He was 91.

Boesch, a former Navy Seal, was cast on the inaugural season of the long-running reality show in 2000. Then 72, Boesch finished the season in third place and quickly became a fan favorite due to his lovably cantankerous persona.

“Ours was an interesting bond, Dear Rudy! You and I helped open minds and undermine predjudces [sic]. While your time here has passed, you will remain loved and iconic, dear friend!” Boesch’s closest Survivor ally Richard Hatch tweeted.

I watched the first season of this show to see what it was about. Never watched another because it was depressing.

But I remember this guy...he was a tough old coot.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1093 on: November 02, 2019, 08:16:12 pm »

I watched the first season of this show to see what it was about. Never watched another because it was depressing.

But I remember this guy...he was a tough old coot.

And a Navy Seal  :patriot:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1094 on: November 02, 2019, 10:03:44 pm »

@Gefn

He retired from the Navy in 1990 after 45 years of continuous service.

The fact that he was allowed to continue to serve for 45 years is a VERY good sign of how highly the Navy thought of him. That is practically unheard of for enlisted men.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #1095 on: November 02, 2019, 10:09:30 pm »
@sneakypete he was a really interesting guy when he was on ‘Survivor”

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1096 on: November 03, 2019, 08:13:13 pm »
I don't watch enough TV to know who this fellow is or was, but here's another actor dying from drugs.
Brian Tarantina of ‘The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ dead from suspected overdose at 60
By Tina Moore and Craig McCarthy
November 3, 2019

Actor Brian Tarantina, known for his portrayals of Jackie in “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” and Bootsy in “Gilmore Girls,” died in his Hell’s Kitchen apartment early Saturday in an apparent drug overdose, police sources told The Post.

The 60-year-old  was found unresponsive just before 12:45 a.m. Saturday, according to cops. ...  NY Post

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1097 on: November 03, 2019, 08:45:41 pm »
I don't watch enough TV to know who this fellow is or was, but here's another actor dying from drugs.

@mountaineer

I have no idea who that guy was and never saw him in anything,but ain't 60 a little old to be overdosing? Most people have grown up a long time before that age.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1098 on: November 03, 2019, 10:11:50 pm »
I have no idea who that guy was and never saw him in anything,but ain't 60 a little old to be overdosing? Most people have grown up a long time before that age.
My first thought,  too.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #1099 on: November 04, 2019, 01:51:22 am »
@mountaineer

Yeah, most people who are going to OD don't take 60 years to figure it out... **nononono*

C S Lewis