Author Topic: Obituaries for 2019  (Read 107031 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Obituaries for 2019
« Reply #1000 on: October 13, 2019, 11:49:01 pm »
I'm telling ya,their astronauts had some serious stones. Especially the first few because nobody really knew if it was going to work or not. Yeah,there was a good chance they could launch a rocket into orbit,but it gets VERY tricky once it is in orbit.

@sneakypete

All astronauts of that era had stones I can only imagine.  The Mercury astronauts know full well about Vanguard's failures when they strapped themselves into capsules atop ICBMs.  What was going through Alan Shepard's mind, parked atop a Redstone, listening to the countdown?  Spam in a Can.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1001 on: October 14, 2019, 01:54:32 am »
@sneakypete

All astronauts of that era had stones I can only imagine.  The Mercury astronauts know full well about Vanguard's failures when they strapped themselves into capsules atop ICBMs.  What was going through Alan Shepard's mind, parked atop a Redstone, listening to the countdown?  Spam in a Can.

@Cyber Liberty

Just look at how far our technology and knowledge of space flight has advanced in such a short length of time. Both of us remember when going into space was just a theory mostly found in second-rate movies. Now there is a company serious about selling tickets to space flights and back,and nobody thinks it is a big deal.

Give it another 20 years,and it will be no more remarkable that a cruise from Europe to America was back in the 40's.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1002 on: October 14, 2019, 02:00:05 am »
@Cyber Liberty

Just look at how far our technology and knowledge of space flight has advanced in such a short length of time. Both of us remember when going into space was just a theory mostly found in second-rate movies. Now there is a company serious about selling tickets to space flights and back,and nobody thinks it is a big deal.

Give it another 20 years,and it will be no more remarkable that a cruise from Europe to America was back in the 40's.

I'm still waiting for my personal jetpack. :pop41:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1003 on: October 14, 2019, 02:14:10 am »
I'm still waiting for my personal jetpack. :pop41:

I want my flying car.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1004 on: October 14, 2019, 02:22:12 am »
Just passing this on, Army Hero MSG Mark Allen has passed away.

Army Hero MSG Mark Allen and Army Deserter Bowe Bergdahl
Posted on June 4, 2014   by mediachecker

“Meet my husband, injuries directly brought to you by the actions of this traitor. He can’t give an account of what went down, because he can no longer speak. Now, which guy is a ‘hero’ again?!? Sick.”

https://mediachecker.wordpress.com/2014/06/04/army-hero-msg-mark-allen-and-army-deserter-bowe-bergdahl/

Msg Mark Allen Death: Mark Allen Obituary, Cause of Death

Published 20 hours ago

on 13th October 2019

By Opeyemi Daramola

Msg Mark Allen Death –  We learnt about the recent death of Mark Allen. This was made known to us through the tributes posted across social medias earlier today.

Please receive our deepest condolence during this period.

However, the family of the deceased don’t want a public notice yet as they wants their own time to grieve.

More: https://360ng.com.ng/msg-mark-allen-death-mark-allen-obituary-cause-of-death/

Yes, this last webpage is from Africa if it matters.... came up in the web search.

https://twitter.com/lloyd4man/status/1183391054839443462

I don't know the specifics of all of this, like I said, passing it on.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1005 on: October 14, 2019, 09:08:38 am »
@sneakypete
@catfish1957

Can't find a link to it now, but I remember an interview with John Glenn where he said something to the effect that most people have no idea how dangerous it was (and still is) to be an astronaut, especially in the early days of the program, but still today.  He said that for all the great scientific minds behind the program and all the state of the art technology, these guys and gals were and are  literally flying by the seat of their pants.  No one can guarantee whether they or the capsule they are flying in will survive the mission.

Astronauts, cosmonauts -- however we feel about the countries they represent -- and believe me, I am no fan of Russia and wasn't of the former Soviet Union -- these men and women are true heroes for risking their lives for the advance of knowledge.
We have seen the sort of events written about in the early days of science fiction, good and bad, (with the exception of FTL travel, verified contact, and teleportation), and the bad include launch accidents, reentry breakups, and malfunctions. The crews of Challenger, Columbia, and the Apollo 1 fire, not to mention the Soviet Casualties (known and not), died in the sort of accidents that were commonly predicted in that fiction.
Those risks were vaguely anticipated, real, and have cost lives. The real triumphs are the instances where they did not (Apollo 13 comes to mind).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1006 on: October 14, 2019, 03:46:47 pm »
K-pop star Sulli found dead aged 25

The K-pop star Sulli has died aged 25.

Police told the BBC the singer's manager found her dead at her home near Seoul, South Korea.

They say they are investigating the cause of her death and are working on the ‎assumption that she may have taken her own life.‎

The star, who had more than five million followers on Instagram, was a former member of the band f(x) until she left in 2015 to focus on her acting career.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-50041130

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1007 on: October 14, 2019, 04:06:11 pm »

@TomSea  I have no idea who she was,and you would have probably had to point a gun at me to get me to listen to a whole song by her,but it is always sad to hear of someone so young with so much promise dying.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1008 on: October 16, 2019, 05:32:38 pm »
Lou Frey, Orlando congressman, radio commentator, dies at 85
Steven Lemongello

Louis Frey Jr., who represented Central Florida in Congress for 10 years, founded a UCF institute for politics and had a long career as a commentator on public radio, died Monday at a hospice center in Winter Springs.

Frey was best known in later years as a political commentator with former Democratic state Rep. Dick Batchelor at WMFE-90.7 FM public radio. The duo first appeared together on WUCF-TV in 1996 before moving to radio for their show “The Notebook” in 1998, according to WMFE.

They later appeared on a continuing segment on the show called “Intersection” from 2007 until 2016.

Read more at: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-lou-frey-obituary-orlando-20191015-inp3aejk3vfh5gjjwiw5gu5oxe-story.html

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1009 on: October 16, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »
Steve Cash
Harmonica player and songwriter for the Ozark Mountain Daredevils dies at 73

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Obituary from SavingCountryMusic.com

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1010 on: October 16, 2019, 09:51:16 pm »
George Chambers, bassist/vocalist with the Chambers Brothers. RIP Pops. You guys made some excellent music . . .

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1011 on: October 17, 2019, 09:35:38 am »
The next news cycle will have a lot of tributes:

Elijah Cummings, esteemed longtime Baltimore congressman, has died at 68

Representative Elijah Cummings, of Baltimore, died early Thursday at the age of 68, his office said.

Cummings died at Johns Hopkins Hospital at 2:45 a.m. from "complications concerning longstanding health challenges," his office said.

He hadn't returned to work after having a medical procedure that he said would only keep him away for about a week, The Baltimore Sun pointed out.

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Rep. Cummings chairs House Oversight Committee hearing on Trump Administration immigration policy on Capitol Hill in Washington

Read more at: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elijah-cummings-esteemed-longtime-baltimore-congressman-died-68-today-2019-10-17/

wikipedia

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1012 on: October 17, 2019, 09:41:27 am »
Ron Ely: Tarzan star's wife stabbed to death by their son

The wife of Ron Ely, star of the 1960s Tarzan TV series, was stabbed to death by their son at their California home on Tuesday evening, say police.

Officers called to the Santa Barbara house found Valerie Lundeen Ely, 62, dead with "multiple stab wounds".

Authorities said police cornered 30-year-old Cameron Ely outside the home, deemed him a threat and shot him dead.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50074653

Ron Ely

He was born in Hereford Texas, see article.  It sounds like the series was on only in 1966. Also, it appears he has written some novels as well.

A very tragic situation when one ever hears of a child killing one of their parents.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:42:50 am by TomSea »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1013 on: October 17, 2019, 10:55:45 am »
Sad story about Mrs. Ely and their son.  I do remember the Ron Ely and the Tarzan series.  Had a teenage crush on Ely and wondered what happened to him after the series ended.  Terrible thing to happen to what seemed like a stable family, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors?  May God comfort Mr. Ely and the rest of his family. 

Offline verga

« Reply #1014 on: October 17, 2019, 01:21:47 pm »
The next news cycle will have a lot of tributes:

wikipedia
Prayers for his family.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1015 on: October 17, 2019, 02:30:55 pm »
Ron Ely

He was born in Hereford Texas, see article.  It sounds like the series was on only in 1966. Also, it appears he has written some novels as well.

A very tragic situation when one ever hears of a child killing one of their parents.

@TomSea

Gee,I wonder how this tragedy happened?

Let's see,here. Spoiled mama's boy that went to Harvard and was a quarterback on their football team after graduating from the most exclusive prep school in the nation,and then goes on to live at home with his mama with no career and no job. Then the selfish SOB murders his mother,tells the cops his father was the murderer,and ends up "suiciding by cop" to leave his father and sisters with that grief to bear for the rest of their lives.

It's almost enough to make me wish hell were real. It IS real for all practical purposes for his father and sisters,and will remain real for the rest of their lives.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1016 on: October 17, 2019, 02:52:23 pm »
@TomSea

Gee,I wonder how this tragedy happened?

Let's see,here. Spoiled mama's boy that went to Harvard and was a quarterback on their football team after graduating from the most exclusive prep school in the nation,and then goes on to live at home with his mama with no career and no job. Then the selfish SOB murders his mother,tells the cops his father was the murderer,and ends up "suiciding by cop" to leave his father and sisters with that grief to bear for the rest of their lives.

It's almost enough to make me wish hell were real. It IS real for all practical purposes for his father and sisters,and will remain real for the rest of their lives.

@sneakypete

Ok, where did you get your information that Cameron Ely was a spoiled mama's boy ho lived at home with no job?  Didn't see that in the article. 

You are right, though, that this tragedy has created a private hell for Mr. Ely and the rest of his family. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1017 on: October 17, 2019, 03:22:11 pm »
@sneakypete

Ok, where did you get your information that Cameron Ely was a spoiled mama's boy ho lived at home with no job?  Didn't see that in the article. 

@Applewood

The news report said he was 30 and lived at home,so I did a web search using his name and there was zero information about him after his Harvard graduation.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #1018 on: October 17, 2019, 03:27:15 pm »
Legendary country music host/DJ Bob Kingsley passes away at the age of 80 one week after announcing he’d been diagnosed with bladder cancer.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1019 on: October 17, 2019, 03:40:38 pm »
@Applewood

The news report said he was 30 and lived at home,so I did a web search using his name and there was zero information about him after his Harvard graduation.

@sneakypete

Yes, I saw that Cameron Ely was 30 and lived at home, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is a "mama's boy."  My brother lived at home till he married  when he was in his 50s.  He worked for the local electric company and contributed toward household expenses.  Don't think that would qualify him for "mama's boy" status.  In fact, if you dared to call him a "mama's boy," you would be walking funny and singing soprano.

As for not finding anything online about Cameron Ely -- well, he might be someone who doesn't leave an internet footprint.    I know one guy in real life who is like that and he had a career (now retired).  Some people just don't like the internet, don't use it and scrupulously avoid having anything about themselves available online.  Not sure how the guy I know does it though since the federal government in particular is very good about splashing our personal information all over the internet.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1020 on: October 17, 2019, 03:44:36 pm »
@sneakypete

Yes, I saw that Cameron Ely was 30 and lived at home, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is a "mama's boy."  My brother lived at home till he married  when he was in his 50s.  He worked for the local electric company and contributed toward household expenses.

@Applewood

How long ago was this? Times have changed. So have people.

As for not finding anything online about Cameron Ely -- well, he might be someone who doesn't leave an internet footprint.    I know one guy in real life who is like that and he had a career (now retired).  Some people just don't like the internet, don't use it and scrupulously avoid having anything about themselves available online.   

And that applies to how many 30 year olds you know that went to exclusive prep schools and were Harvard quarterbacks?

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1021 on: October 17, 2019, 04:03:24 pm »

@Applewood

How long ago was this? Times have changed. So have people.

My brother married in 1995.  But I guess you may be correct that a lot of young people today are still living with Mom and Dad.  Some may be the stereotypical "living in Mom's basement" types, but I've read that a number of young people live with their folks for other reasons.  This may depend on where these young people live.  If where they live has an unusually high cost of living, they may live with Mom and Dad because it is cheaper than renting an apartment.   Some stay with Mom and Dad because they want to marry and living at home helps them save for that event.  Some actually want to pay off that student loan they took out when they went to college.  Again, I wouldn't call these individuals "Mama's boys."   

And that applies to how many 30 year olds you know that went to exclusive prep schools and were Harvard quarterbacks?

Well, it's true that the younger generation is generally hooked on the internet.  But since I didn't know Cameron Ely, I don't know whether he would be one of those.

You might be right about Cameron Ely.  I don't know.  There may be other factors we aren't considering as to why he lived at home and why he may or may not have been working.  Could have been a deadbeat.  Could have also had a chronic illness that prevented him from working.  Could have had a substance abuse problem.    Could have been his parents wanted him at home to help out in some way.  I just don't know.

Point is, since I don't know what really was going on in the Ely house, I don't want to speculate or jump to conclusions.  Just going to call this a terrible tragedy, pray for the souls of Mrs. Ely and her son, and for the comfort of Mr. Ely and his family.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:05:15 pm by Applewood »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1022 on: October 17, 2019, 04:19:33 pm »
Legendary country music host/DJ Bob Kingsley passes away at the age of 80 one week after announcing he’d been diagnosed with bladder cancer.
For those who don't know who Bob Kingsley is...

He is country music's equivalent of Casey Kasem. In fact, it was Kasem's company Watermark who launched his show (first known as American Country Countdown and then Country Top 40). Kingsley started out as producer in 1972 then became host in '78, staying as a countdown host for the next 41 years.

Toward the end, though, the CMA decided they wanted more female representation and, when Kingsley announced his leave of absence, they decided to take over the show with all-women hosts. Which is kind of a sad way to end a career, to be honest... and Kingsley wanted to come back but obviously can't now.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1023 on: October 17, 2019, 04:30:53 pm »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1024 on: October 17, 2019, 04:44:14 pm »
Jack Van Loan, Vietnam POW and Five Points legend, dies at 87

Jack Van Loan, an Oregon native and fighter pilot who spent six years in the infamous Hanoi Hilton as a prisoner of war in Vietnam and then served for 20 years as executive director of the Five Points Association in Columbia, has died. He was 87.

“He was a mentor, a colleague, a co-chair and a friend to me,” former Five Points Association executive director Merritt McNeely posted on Facebook. “More than that, he was a true American hero and he loved and fought for Five Points like no one else. Rest In Peace my friend, Jack.”

Mayor Steve Benjamin said city flags will be flown at half staff this week in Van Loan’s honor.

See more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article236233133.html

Jack Van Loan - Super Sabre Society

More reading:

On Colin Kaepernick

Hero and Friend

BTW, one of the articles says he campaigned with McCain, both in the Hanoi Hilton together?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:46:12 pm by TomSea »