Author Topic: Where hurricanes can't reach and tornados can't land  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
Where hurricanes can't reach and tornados can't land
« on: December 30, 2018, 06:00:30 pm »
What are the states that wind doesn't exist?
I won't accept.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Where hurricanes can't reach and tornados can't land
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 07:08:09 pm »

In an altered "state" of consciousness.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 07:43:03 pm »
None.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 10:35:08 pm »
   Floods affect me in the Texas Hill Country more than anything and I'm relatively safe at 978ft above msl.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 01:50:48 am »
Where wind doesn't exist? Not in any U.S. state. Probably not anywhere on this planet, for that matter. Wind is a basic element of the atmosphere: if you have difference in temperature, you end up with wind.

But if you want no hurricanes and no tornadoes, your best bet is probably Washington State. The cold currents keep hurricanes well south. Ocean influences and windward mountains ensure that it's far more difficult to form tornadoes.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 02:58:19 am »
Though they still have wind events.

Pacific Northwest windstorm

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pacific Northwest windstorms, sometimes colloquially known as Big Blows,[1] are extratropical cyclones which form in the Pacific basin, and affect land areas in the Pacific Northwest of the United States and British Columbia, Canada. They form as cyclonic windstorms associated with areas of low atmospheric pressure that track across the North Pacific Ocean towards western North America. Deep low pressure areas are relatively common over the North Pacific. They are most common in the winter months. On average, the month when most windstorms form is December.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 12:14:43 pm »
Though they still have wind events.

And liberals.  Lots and lots of liberals.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 12:17:29 pm »
And liberals.  Lots and lots of liberals.
No wonder they believe in global warming with all that hot air....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 03:13:37 am »
Where wind doesn't exist? Not in any U.S. state. Probably not anywhere on this planet, for that matter. Wind is a basic element of the atmosphere: if you have difference in temperature, you end up with wind.

But if you want no hurricanes and no tornadoes, your best bet is probably Washington State. The cold currents keep hurricanes well south. Ocean influences and windward mountains ensure that it's far more difficult to form tornadoes.

Washington just had a tornado that destroyed more than a dozen homes.  We have an average of 2 a year, though rarely much damage.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 03:18:50 am »
Washington just had a tornado that destroyed more than a dozen homes.  We have an average of 2 a year, though rarely much damage.

I imagine this place without wind is probably very cold.
I won't accept.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 04:10:07 am »

Nope.  WA  has a vert temperate climate, extremes dont happen, rarely touching the teens in the dead of winter nor upper 90s in Summer at least in western WA, but winter will get you lots of rain, and a few wind storms with just an occasional snow fall. Now the mountains is a different story with 16 feet of snow possible.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 04:27:13 am »
The only place on Earth that is without wind is under the ocean, and even they have currents (which is a type of wind). However, there is a place where the streets have no name. Bono has been there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXKFbOTQ1HQ
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 04:55:08 am »
A place with no wind. Why would anyone want that. What would wave a Flag, fly a kite, blow away stagnant smelly air, provide comfort on a hot summer day.
 Now if you are looking for states with less chances of damaging tornadoes, yes the NW  or Alaska is it, but we are not without damaging wind storms, earthquakes, and remembering 1980 volcanos.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 02:06:04 pm »
I did some looking and that indeed is one of the lowest rates of tornadoes in the nation.

New England is the only other area of the country with less, but I suspect part of that is simply because they're so geographically small. Tornado touchdowns are like throwing at a dartboard, and a bigger state under the same conditions is going to have more of them than a tiny state like Rhode Island.

New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 02:10:33 pm »
Population density may affect reporting in some states as well. Parts of Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas could have tornadoes no one even sees.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 02:11:35 pm »
The Appalachian hills have few tornadoes. We have lots of wind. Gusts up to 50mph happen frequently in the winter but we usually avoid extremes.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 10:13:53 pm »
I just learned that tornados form ground up, so I guess that makes the title of this thread moot.
I won't accept.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 10:28:00 pm »

Too much wind can do the same. The Rockies are pretty free of tornadoes, because the wind shear is crazy in the mountains - In some forty years here, I have only seen two, and both of those were water spouts over the big lake - and died close to shore. Conditions where a tornado could survive to touch down would have to be literally perfect.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 11:56:53 pm »
I just learned that tornados form ground up, so I guess that makes the title of this thread moot.

It was moot before it got started.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 12:19:56 am »
If you want to know where most strong tornadoes (F5) hit, it is North Alabama. Some triangle in North Bama has the most tornadoes per year in the space allotted. Lets just say, I would not care to live on Sand Mountain. Alabama also claims the most tornado deaths...

https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/04/alabama_is_bulls-eye_for_stron.html

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:22:01 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 12:39:59 am »
   Floods affect me in the Texas Hill Country more than anything and I'm relatively safe at 978ft above msl.
@corbe
@mystery-ak 

You know I live in Texas also.  Years ago, it was so hot, I looked for a cool place in the United States and was going to pack a bag and go there; I seriously was.  THERE WAS NO COOL PLACE IN THE U.S. AT THAT TIME.  I was surprised I had no place to go - turned down the air conditioner and didn't go out unless it was important.