Author Topic: 'World's largest robot' operational as Pilbara driverless rail goes live  (Read 566 times)

rangerrebew

'World's largest robot' operational as Pilbara driverless rail goes live
Hamish Hastie
By Hamish Hastie
28 December 2018 — 2:39pm

Pilbara iron ore giant Rio Tinto has completed the rollout of its automated Pilbara rail network.

The $1.3 billion rollout has taken just eight months.

The miner got approval from the national rail safety regulator to test "the world's largest robot" in May and conducted its first fully loaded automated mine-to-port rail journey in July.

It has gradually stepped up the number of heavy-haul journeys, with more than 1 million kilometres now travelled autonomously.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/world-s-largest-robot-fully-operational-in-the-pilbara-as-rail-network-goes-live-20181228-p50omh.html

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: 'World's largest robot' operational as Pilbara driverless rail goes live
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 01:10:15 am »
From the article:
"The trains are controlled by the company's remote operations centre in Perth. ...
Autohaul locomotives are fitted with on-board cameras that are constantly monitored from the operations centre."

It sounds like the locomotive controls can be manipulated from a remote location if necessary, with the ability to "see" the tracks ahead (and perhaps sides and rear as well) on remote video.

I wonder how many grade crossings there are on that line, and how many towns the trains pass through. My guess is -- next-to-none, or none at all.

BTW, the engines in the pic at the source article were built by GE (probably in Erie, PA).