Author Topic: 800,000 government workers may need financial assistance as shutdown continues  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

800,000 government workers may need financial assistance as shutdown continues
NBC News, Dec 28, 2018, Doha Madani

Nonprofit organizations and private companies are working to provide financial assistance to roughly 800,000 people who won't receive regularly scheduled paychecks as Congress failed Thursday to vote on a resolution to end the partial government shutdown.

The Office of Personnel Management, which handles human resources for the government's civilian workforce, advised thousands of employees who won't be paid during government shutdown to reach out to creditors to work out alternative payment schedules.

The office released sample letters Thursday on Twitter to show shutdown workers how to ask for help from mortgage companies and landlords.

"As we discussed, I am a Federal employee who has recently been furloughed due to a lack of funding of my agency," one sample letter reads. "Because of this, my income has been severely cut and I am unable to pay the entire cost of my mortgage, along with my other expenses."

A fact sheet compiled by Senate Democrat staffers estimated roughly 420,000 federal employees would still be required to work without pay, while an additional 380,000 would be sent home, or furloughed, without pay. In the past, government employees have usually received back pay at the end of shutdowns.

More:  https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/800-000-government-workers-may-need-financial-assistance-shutdown-continues-n952416

Offline andy58-in-nh

The phrase "800,000 government workers" rather succinctly explains the nature of the problem.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Right_in_Virginia

380,000 non-essential personnel.  Here's the funding for the wall on the Southern AND Northern borders.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline skeeter

Here in California government employees can just ask their relatives back in the home country send them a care package until its over.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The Federal payday is today.  The next one is the 14th.  The only financial crisis right now is in the fevered imagination of the left.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mountaineer

Give me a break.  When I was a state employee (MO), we were paid once a month. These people,  who earn more than their private sector counterparts,  can't budget?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline berdie

The Federal payday is today.  The next one is the 14th.  The only financial crisis right now is in the fevered imagination of the left.

That's what I thought.

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
The phrase "800,000 government workers" rather succinctly explains the nature of the problem.

Bingo!

Offline EdJames

• Certified Trump Realist
380,000 non-essential personnel.  Here's the funding for the wall on the Southern AND Northern borders.

Bingo! **2

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Non essential "workers" doing meaningless work making sure unconstitutional meaningless regulations are followed at 40-50% more than a private sector employee makes who actually produces something of value- well cry me a river.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline mountaineer

Just think if the department of education were eliminated -and how much wall could be built with that funding.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Don't these shutdowns always end up being a paid vacation for the ones who don't work and double pay for the ones who do?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Just think if the department of education were eliminated -and how much wall could be built with that funding.
Just think if that wall were built, how much more education money there would be to educate legal Americans. Maybe we we wouldn't constantly be harangued for more and more and more education dollars while seeing less actual educating.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Give me a break.  When I was a state employee (MO), we were paid once a month. These people,  who earn more than their private sector counterparts,  can't budget?
Exactly. If the rest of us are supposed to endure the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, like the oil patch going dead after a boom--for a couple of years sometimes--you'd think those on a steady paycheck would put a little away for a rainy day. They can budget, with a predictable income, and include savings in the package.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

Just think if that wall were built, how much more education money there would be to educate legal Americans. Maybe we we wouldn't constantly be harangued for more and more and more education dollars while seeing less actual educating.

:bigsilly:

No wall is going to stop visa overstays, and right now they constitute 40% of all illegals. 

Offline Victoria33

It is sad those here are dumping on government workers.  Eight hunred thousand people took a job, have done their work and won't get paid.  These are workers with families, just like you.  One man's wife died and he won't get a pay check today, and can't put a headstone at her grave.

Trump had a letter put on line so workers can print a letter to give to their mortgage company, their power company, others, to tell them they are not getting paid. Trump only thinks of himself and his family, and no one else.  He said workers without their paycheck are Democrats - that means he doesn't care if they die.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:00:06 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Axeslinger

It is sad those here are dumping on government workers.  Eighty thousand people took a job, have done their work and won't get paid.  These are workers with families, just like you.  One man's wife died and he won't get a pay check today, and can't put a headstone at her grave.

Trump had a letter put on line so workers can print a letter to give to their mortgage company, their power company, others, to tell them they are not getting paid. Trump only thinks of himself and his family, and no one else.  He said workers without their paycheck are Democrats - that means he doesn't care if they die.
@Victoria33
Well this is about six different threads where you are whining about the shutdown being entirely trumps fault and those poor, poor non-essential workers not getting paid.  You can feel free to stop stating the same drivel again and again.  We get your point...you’re wrong but we get it.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Axeslinger

Exactly. If the rest of us are supposed to endure the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, like the oil patch going dead after a boom--for a couple of years sometimes--you'd think those on a steady paycheck would put a little away for a rainy day. They can budget, with a predictable income, and include savings in the package.

@Smokin Joe
ESPECIALLY (!!!) knowing that they are vulnerable to the whims of politics at any time!

But, the vast majority of them are liberal democrats so logic, self reliance and responsibility aren’t their strong suits
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Victoria33

@Victoria33
Well this is about six different threads where you are whining about the shutdown being entirely trumps fault and those poor, poor non-essential workers not getting paid. 

I posted this morning on TWO threads about the shutdown.  Threads are here for our comments.  Put me on ignore and you won't see them.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 02:15:24 pm by Victoria33 »

Oceander

@Victoria33
Well this is about six different threads where you are whining about the shutdown being entirely trumps fault and those poor, poor non-essential workers not getting paid.  You can feel free to stop stating the same drivel again and again.  We get your point...you’re wrong but we get it.

Didn’t Trump say on national TV that he would be happy to accept full responsibility for a shutdown?  He bought it; he owns it. 

Offline Axeslinger

Didn’t Trump say on national TV that he would be happy to accept full responsibility for a shutdown?  He bought it; he owns it.
@Oceander

Don’t necessarily disagree w that.  Disagree w the notion about those poor poor NON-ESSENTIAL workers being so abused by this.  First:  if they’re NE, they shouldn’t have jobs to begin with.  Second: they should be bright enough to know that this is a possibility. 

Offline mountaineer

I find it interesting that the Dems aren't being "credited" with the lion's share of responsibility for this shutdown. The administration side has offered to give a little on the wall funding demand, but the Dems refuse even to play ball.

Edit to add: What was I thinking? Nancy Pelosi desperately needed some "down time" in Hawaii before taking the reins of the House.  And some spa time.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 03:13:36 pm by mountaineer »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

Yep!   888high58888
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Text of the message I left for my Congressman and Senators this morning on their websites:

WHY do we have even one "non-essential" government employee much less 380,000 of them???
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien