Author Topic: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says U.S. Has 'Allowed Weapons Budget to Explode' but Can't 'Write Laws Pro  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
https://www.newsweek.com/video-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-us-allowed-weapons-budget-explode-cant-write-1273346

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has argued that the United States has witnessed an explosion in military spending, while paradoxically Congress doesn’t have enough money to “write laws properly.”

In a characteristically informal yet politically charged Instagram Live video, the Congresswoman-elect for New York argued what she described as economic austerity had not seemed to affect the country's weapons budget.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
We spend more on welfare than we do on defense.

Our primary fighting rifle is over 50 years old.

We just changed out pistols that are 35 years old models.

Our armor and infantry vehicles were designed in the late 70's.  Our artillery cannons are designs that date back to the 60's.

Military spending is less than 5% of the GDP.

Someone please explain to me how we have an "exploding" weapons budget?  I'd ask Ms. Occasional-Cortex but she wouldn't be able to put together two cognizant sentences on the subject.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Lets get her an appointment to the defense spending/appropriations  panel.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Dexter

Our armor and infantry vehicles were designed in the late 70's.  Our artillery cannons are designs that date back to the 60's.

Someone please explain to me how we have an "exploding" weapons budget?  I'd ask Ms. Occasional-Cortex but she wouldn't be able to put together two cognizant sentences on the subject.

It's absolutely bananas to suggest our military is not incredibly powerful and effective, immeasurably more so than any other fighting force on Earth.

No offense, but your post demonstrates a lack of understanding of this issue. The military also has a lot less horses than it used to. That's because the nature of our military has changed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 06:16:02 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

No offense, but your post demonstrates a lack of understanding of this issue.

Oh shit.  You didn't just go there.  Yep you did. 

Offline Axeslinger

@The Ghost

Don’t worry, it’ll be more quintessential Dex...he spouts some drivel and then gets bitch-slapped with the facts.  He will then stick his fingers in his ears and sing “LaLaLaLaLa I can’t hear you” and then he’ll say he’s right and no one can counter his version.

Rinse, repeat, ad nauseum
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

popcorn?  :2popcorn:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@txradioguy

AND.....,we should still be using the one that was adopted in 1911. They can keep trying to "reinvent this wheel" for another 50 years,but until someone comes up with a raygun,they just ain't going to do any better than the old 1911A1 in 45 ACP.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
It's absolutely bananas to suggest our military is not incredibly powerful and effective, immeasurably more so than any other fighting force on Earth.

The Russians and The Communist Chinese have achieved parity with our forces capability wise.  They greatly outnumber us when it comes to total troop strength.  THEY are in the middle of modernization programs with dollar amounts that would make a Liberal have a stroke if it were tried here.

We lost our superiority edge over the rest of the world thanks to 8 years of Obama.  But it started before that with Clinton and our ability to fight a two front war and have reserves left to plug in other places.

No offense, but your post demonstrates a lack of understanding of this issue.

Really?  What is it that I don't understand that someone of your vast experience in military affairs policy and history that you do?

Enlighten me.

The military also has a lot less horses than it used to. That's because the nature of our military has changed.

Kid...you should really...seriously quit on this one before you get embarrassed.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

AND.....,we should still be using the one that was adopted in 1911. They can keep trying to "reinvent this wheel" for another 50 years,but until someone comes up with a raygun,they just ain't going to do any better than the old 1911A1 in 45 ACP.

No argument from me on that Pete.

Offline mirraflake

Who cares about percentage of GDP.   Military spending is 54% of our annual budget that is insane.  We need to stop being worlds policemen, cut overseas bases and get out of that shithole afghanistan.

Build more defensive  weapons and make it know if you f***k with us we will wipe out out

Dwight  was right. MIC is the devil.. They want perpetual warfare.

@txradioguy

Offline Millee

Offline Dexter

MIC is the devil.. They want perpetual warfare.

Yep.

If we stopped trying to be a global force we could optimize our defense at home and cut the overall cost of our military by an unbelievable amount.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

The Russians and The Communist Chinese have achieved parity with our forces capability wise.  They greatly outnumber us when it comes to total troop strength.  THEY are in the middle of modernization programs with dollar amounts that would make a Liberal have a stroke if it were tried here.

We lost our superiority edge over the rest of the world thanks to 8 years of Obama.  But it started before that with Clinton and our ability to fight a two front war and have reserves left to plug in other places.

Really?  What is it that I don't understand that someone of your vast experience in military affairs policy and history that you do?

Enlighten me.

Kid...you should really...seriously quit on this one before you get embarrassed.

It is simply outrageous and far outside the confines of reality to not acknowledge the enormous difference in strength between our military and any other fighting force on Earth. The Chinese at this point in time are an economic threat, but not a military one. Russia's GDP is the same size as freaking Tokyo.

What you don't understand is that we don't protect ourselves the same way today as we did 50 years ago. The nature of our military has changed. We are more powerful compared to other countries than we have ever been.
-Socrates

Online Wingnut

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Yep.

If we stopped trying to be a global force we could optimize our defense at home and cut the overall cost of our military by an unbelievable amount.

IOW If we had spent less on defense in 1941, Pearl Harbor never would have happened.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Who cares about percentage of GDP.   Military spending is 54% of our annual budget that is insane.  We need to stop being worlds policemen, cut overseas bases and get out of that shithole afghanistan.

Build more defensive  weapons and make it know if you f***k with us we will wipe out out

Dwight  was right. MIC is the devil.. They want perpetual warfare.

@txradioguy

You have a link to back that up.

And Ike was warning us about Communism...not our own country.

Offline Dexter

IOW If we had spent less on defense in 1941, Pearl Harbor never would have happened.

There are things to be learned from the past, but we must also be careful not to live in it.
-Socrates

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Yep.

You do realize don't you that when we pull back from our position in the world the enemy advances?

Just look at what happened under 8 years of Obama.  What Clinton's absolute neglect of the military brought us on September 11th?

Or farther back...what Carter's neglect of the military brought about in the Middle East...that being radical Islamic terrorism funded and supported by the Mad Mullah's in Iran.

The days of this country being a Wilsonian isolationist island in a sea of constant chaos died in the flames at Pearl Harbor.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
There are things to be learned from the past, but we must also be careful not to live in it.

You're too dense that the Dems that have tried to live in the past have created the world chaos we have today.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
It is simply outrageous and far outside the confines of reality to not acknowledge the enormous difference in strength between our military and any other fighting force on Earth.

What is outrageous is that you actually believe that vapid nonsense.

We have only 10 divisions left in the Army.  None in Europe and none in Korea.  Russia has more front line troops waiting on the Russian Ukrainian border to invade the country than we have in all of the European Command.

And while we've been using 30 year old Tech...Putin has been spending the money he extorts from Western Europe via state run companies like Gazprom to modernize his forces from rifles to rockets.

He's getting ready to go to war with us while we have politicians trying to tie monetary increases in the defense budget to spending increases in welfare.

China is doing the same thing in the Pacific.  Not to mention they run both ends of the Panama Canal...a vital military shipping lane for our Navy.

The Chinese at this point in time are an economic threat, but not a military one. Russia's GDP is the same size as freaking Tokyo.

If they aren't a military threat how do you explain what they're doing in the Pacific?  They're claiming as home territory islands and reefs that are in other countries territorial waters...500 miles from their own coast.  And they are building deep water ports and runways long enough to support long range bombers.

Both are totalitarian nations where the state runs the industry so talking about Russia's GDP compared to Japans is moot.  Russia can dump more money into defense than will ever show up on a balance sheet.  That's the way it's always been with them.  Same with China.

What you don't understand is that we don't protect ourselves the same way today as we did 50 years ago. The nature of our military has changed. We are more powerful compared to other countries than we have ever been.

The nature of the threat has changed too genius.  We are NOT more powerful anymore than our adversaries.  We are at parity with them at best.

And isolationist anti military types like yourself with zero actual military knowledge won't be happy until they are more powerful than us.

Online berdie

You're too dense that the Dems that have tried to live in the past have created the world chaos we have today.

Myself...I want the best and the most advanced equipment that can be provided for our military.  That's where I would appreciate my tax dollars to go.

I remember reading that when we went into Iraq our guys didn't have flak jackets.  WTH??

Offline Dexter

You do realize don't you that when we pull back from our position in the world the enemy advances?

Just look at what happened under 8 years of Obama.  What Clinton's absolute neglect of the military brought us on September 11th?

Or farther back...what Carter's neglect of the military brought about in the Middle East...that being radical Islamic terrorism funded and supported by the Mad Mullah's in Iran.

The days of this country being a Wilsonian isolationist island in a sea of constant chaos died in the flames at Pearl Harbor.

I think a global military presence increases the likelihood of us being attacked by terrorists. That's mostly what they're pissed off about. We do not have a uniformed and organized enemy to fight. Your position doesn't make any sense to me. We will not be at more risk by focusing on our defense at home and leaving the rest of the world to deal with its own business. If another Hitler happens we can have that discussion at that time, but currently there are no threats like that. I think the major governments of the world no longer have anything to gain by going to war with each other. The cost is too great.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 12:28:47 am by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

What is outrageous is that you actually believe that vapid nonsense.

We have only 10 divisions left in the Army.  None in Europe and none in Korea.  Russia has more front line troops waiting on the Russian Ukrainian border to invade the country than we have in all of the European Command.

And while we've been using 30 year old Tech...Putin has been spending the money he extorts from Western Europe via state run companies like Gazprom to modernize his forces from rifles to rockets.

He's getting ready to go to war with us while we have politicians trying to tie monetary increases in the defense budget to spending increases in welfare.

China is doing the same thing in the Pacific.  Not to mention they run both ends of the Panama Canal...a vital military shipping lane for our Navy.

If they aren't a military threat how do you explain what they're doing in the Pacific?  They're claiming as home territory islands and reefs that are in other countries territorial waters...500 miles from their own coast.  And they are building deep water ports and runways long enough to support long range bombers.

Both are totalitarian nations where the state runs the industry so talking about Russia's GDP compared to Japans is moot.  Russia can dump more money into defense than will ever show up on a balance sheet.  That's the way it's always been with them.  Same with China.

You are out of your mind if you think Russia and China would even stand a chance against us in an actual war. For somebody that knows so much about our military you seem to underestimate its power quite a lot. I'm sure China and Russia could beat plenty of countries in a war, but not us. No way. Putin is not going to declare war on us or the EU.

And isolationist anti military types like yourself with zero actual military knowledge won't be happy until they are more powerful than us.

I've been working for and with the military for nearly 12 years now.

The nature of the threat has changed too genius. 

Yes, exactly. The threat is in economics. We need to be afraid of China's economy taking over the world, not its military.
-Socrates