Author Topic: Difficult App To Find?  (Read 2237 times)

Offline mrclose

Difficult App To Find?
« on: January 17, 2019, 10:53:23 pm »

Unless you are an Instapaper user, this will be hard to explain/ask for.

Instapaper is a type of bookmarking site.

You know the routine, Click on a button on your toolbar to save a web page.

What I am looking for is something similar to the other tool/button provided by Instapaper.

Clicking on the Instapaper Text button allows you to 'transform' a web page into clean text, eliminating all of the other cr@p that pops up on the page!

The problem with Instapaper text is it doesn't work when you post the 'clean page' link to forums or even to email recipients.

You can post the 'clean' link but when someone clicks on it, they still get the original page and all the cr@p that goes with it!

The first image below is an image of the two buttons on my toolbar.

This is the link to the 'unclean' (lol) page that I used for display purposes...

https://www.ranker.com/list/all-washington-redskins-quarterbacks/ranker-nfl

Because a 'clean link' doesn't work for others ...
This is a screenshot of the same page using Instapaper Text ...

I didn't post the complete 'clean' page image because there were a lot of quarterbacks listed in a long column on the page but you can get an idea from the shortened image.

Hopefully, with all of my rambling, you will understand what kind of tool I am looking for?

If I knew exactly how to word search it in Google, I could probably find one.

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Re: Difficult App To Find?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 02:24:07 am »
What is the clean link's address? If it points to your instapaper account, then maybe you would have to be logged on to see it?
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline mrclose

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 08:38:06 pm »
What is the clean link's address? If it points to your instapaper account, then maybe you would have to be logged on to see it?

@Snarknado

That's the problem that I want to overcome.

If I click on the 'clean link' as another user, I get sent to a login page.

I have to login to see the page.

If I login, I get the 'clean' page but that doesn't help if I want a 'clean' page to share with others.

The clean page link is below.

https://www.instapaper.com/text?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ranker.com%2Flist%2Fall-washington-redskins-quarterbacks%2Franker-nfl
~ Self

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 09:09:09 pm »
I think the sharing features are primarily, and maybe only, intended to work with users who have access to the account, e.g. a collaborative project team, or with devices like Kindles that can be set up to access the account and download content for offline viewing. Considering the minefield of international copyright laws, I wouldn't be surprised if taking it beyond personal use could have some legal risks...
---

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 09:23:48 pm »
@mrclose

Your app merely seems to be taking advantage of the [Print...] feature...

To see what I mean, simply get on the original source page and attempt to print the page. In my case, I simply went to [Print...] in the options (the triple-dot in the top right) in Chrome, selected the pdf option, and waited for the print preview to load... which is a close similarity to your demonstration screenshot.

If that is the case, you can indeed print the thing to pdf and then post the pdf file to the web and link it...

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 09:45:00 pm »
It looks like instapaper allows modification and annotation of the page's content. Of course you can do that with a pdf also, but either way, posting full documents publicly without regard to fair-use guidelines could be an issue. It seems pretty clear that it could easily violate the spirit if not the letter of TBR's TOS e.g....
---

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 01:14:23 am »
It looks like instapaper allows modification and annotation of the page's content. Of course you can do that with a pdf also, but either way, posting full documents publicly without regard to fair-use guidelines could be an issue. It seems pretty clear that it could easily violate the spirit if not the letter of TBR's TOS e.g....

That's right... Sorry, I was not even thinking of intention... just analyzing the problem...  :shrug:

Offline mrclose

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 05:07:46 pm »

@Snarknado

Doesn't violate the fair use act!

Look closer.

At the top of the 'clean' page you can see ... ranker.com · by Ranker NFL

This holds true for every 'cleaned' page.
(All credited)

I don't know if Instapaper's stripping out the paid ads are a violation though?
~ Self

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 06:19:11 pm »
Seems like a gray area - I don't know if instapaper creates a copy of the original content or just saves the link along with your markups. For example, suppose you've accessed content that's behind a paywall, or even just requires user registration or whitelisting - instapaper should not allow you to distribute content in a way that circumvents any access conditions put in place by the original content provider...
---