Author Topic: How December 25 Became Christmas  (Read 1301 times)

rangerrebew

How December 25 Became Christmas
« on: December 26, 2018, 04:29:50 pm »
How December 25 Became Christmas

Andrew McGowan   â€¢  12/25/2018

On December 25, Christians around the world will gather to celebrate Jesus’ birth. Joyful carols, special liturgies, brightly wrapped gifts, festive foods—these all characterize the feast today, at least in the northern hemisphere. But just how did the Christmas festival originate? How did December 25 come to be associated with Jesus’ birthday?

The Bible offers few clues: Celebrations of Jesus’ Nativity are not mentioned in the Gospels or Acts; the date is not given, not even the time of year. The biblical reference to shepherds tending their flocks at night when they hear the news of Jesus’ birth (Luke 2:8) might suggest the spring lambing season; in the cold month of December, on the other hand, sheep might well have been corralled. Yet most scholars would urge caution about extracting such a precise but incidental detail from a narrative whose focus is theological rather than calendrical.

https://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/biblical-topics/new-testament/how-december-25-became-christmas/

Online roamer_1

Re: How December 25 Became Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 06:36:51 pm »
Paganism, same as Easter.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 07:18:28 pm »
The article repeats what I have been taught all my life.
Christmas - Saturnalia
Christmas Tree - Druids would decorate trees (they did not cut them down)
Easter(Eoster goddess) - Spring Fertility Celebration (rabbits/eggs)
Sacrement - Jewish Kiddush (performed every Friday night with wine and bread)
Baptism - Jewish Mikvah (immersion in water is done frequently throughout the year)

When Christianity was new and sought to expand, they simply incorporated whatever the local customs were and 'Christianized' them. You can keep doing whatever it is you do, just say you are doing it for Jesus and it's all good. Thus, Christianity is kind of a mishmash religion composed of elements of several different traditions and cultures. However, from a Christian point of view, this does not necessarily detract from the divinity of Jesus or the central core of the religion. My understanding of Christianity is that it is primarily a 'faith'. The Holidays are just for fun. It doesn't really matter if Jesus was actually born on Christmas. To reserve a day for the celebration of his birth, whenever it was, is enough.

That's my two cents anyway. For what it is worth.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 07:24:04 pm »
Christmas - Saturnalia
Baptism - Jewish Mikvah (immersion in water is done frequently throughout the year)

When Christianity was new and sought to expand, they simply incorporated whatever the local customs were and 'Christianized' them. You can keep doing whatever it is you do, just say you are doing it for Jesus and it's all good. Thus, Christianity is kind of a mishmash religion composed of elements of several different traditions and cultures. However, from a Christian point of view, this does not necessarily detract from the divinity of Jesus or the central core of the religion. My understanding of Christianity is that it is primarily a 'faith'. The Holidays are just for fun. It doesn't really matter if Jesus was actually born on Christmas. To reserve a day for the celebration of his birth, whenever it was, is enough.

Sort of... Protestants eschewed both to begin with. Their adoption of both are rather new.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 07:30:53 pm »
Christmas - Saturnalia

:thumbsup:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline rustynail

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 07:30:57 pm »
Is participating in pagan festivals blasphemy against the Spirit?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 07:32:43 pm »

Not if everyone is nekked.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 07:34:25 pm »

If it were done with knowledge of what one was doing.

But rather, it serves as a distraction from what is true...

Anti-Christ does not mean 'against Christ'. It means 'alternative to Christ'.