Author Topic: Loctite adhesives  (Read 3588 times)

Oceander

Re: Loctite adhesives
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 07:27:07 pm »
All glue sucks, basically. It only works if it's some non-stress point, like an aesthetic feature.

A good structural repair involves drilling, mending plates, bolts, wingnuts, washers, hose clamp, soldering (a proper solder joint), or welding of some kind.

Glue will inevitably fail, I basically never use it. One caveat, liquid nails seems to work good for construction type repairs.

Better than glue:

Even on wood?

Online corbe

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 08:05:26 pm »
 :bigsilly:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 08:41:57 pm »
Even on wood?

Wood glue is fine for aesthetics, but for a structural repair, only screws, bolts, etc. will do.

I don't trust glue.

Oceander

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2018, 09:00:25 pm »
Wood glue is fine for aesthetics, but for a structural repair, only screws, bolts, etc. will do.

I don't trust glue.

Not true.  It depends on how the joint will be loaded. In most cases, it is the wood, not the glue, that fails. 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2018, 09:00:41 pm »
Glues have come a long ways from horse hide, fish, milk, and flour glues.

Many glues now are stronger than the objects they are joining.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2018, 09:04:46 pm »
If you can't trust glue, you can't trust plywood, glulam beams, composite aircraft, and many other things in common use today.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2018, 09:20:14 pm »
If you can't trust glue, you can't trust plywood, glulam beams, composite aircraft, and many other things in common use today.

Right. They use "duct" tape on aircraft all the time. I think it is referred to as speed tape. But tape all the same.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2018, 09:45:49 pm »
Glues have come a long ways from horse hide, fish, milk, and flour glues.

Many glues now are stronger than the objects they are joining.

Even Titebond or Elmer's... A wood joint properly clamped is stronger than the wood is. pin nailing is just to keep it till the glue dries.

Online corbe

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2018, 09:48:31 pm »
  My 'X' sniffed a lot of Glue, she swears by its therapeutic properties.

Me, I like to huff gasoline, premium, when I'm not aggravating the Trumpers here.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2018, 09:50:15 pm »

Me, I like to huff gasoline, premium, when I'm not aggravating the Trumpers here.

You a natural blonde?

Asking for a friend.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online corbe

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2018, 09:56:15 pm »
               NO, I think my Hair Stylist is also 'sniffing Glue'.

Online corbe

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2018, 10:01:20 pm »
   Isn't it great that @Skeptic don't give a $hit that we temporarily hijack his/her Thread.
   Believe me I looked, there are no (safe) meme's regarding Trump/Melanie and glue/adhesives.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2018, 10:30:07 pm »

Did she marry this guy?

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2018, 10:51:48 pm »
   Isn't it great that @Skeptic don't give a $hit that we temporarily hijack his/her Thread.
   Believe me I looked, there are no (safe) meme's regarding Trump/Melanie and glue/adhesives.

There is so much glue just in this one picture it damn near resinates with them all--Loctite, Titebond, Contact, Guerilla...