Author Topic: From St. Nicholas to Santa Claus: the surprising origins of Kris Kringle  (Read 1064 times)

rangerrebew

From St. Nicholas to Santa Claus: the surprising origins of Kris Kringle
Santa Claus, Father Christmas, St. Nick—no matter the name, everyone knows the story of this plump, jolly, bringer of gifts. Or do they?

By Brian Handwerk

PUBLISHED December 25, 2018

Any kid can tell you where Santa Claus is from—the North Pole. But his historical journey is even longer and more fantastic than his annual, one-night circumnavigation of the globe.

The progenitor of the modern American Santa was born in the Mediterranean during the Roman Empire, his legend evolved across northern Europe, and he finally assumed his now-familiar form on the shores of the New World. Who is this ancestor of Santa, and how did he change over time? (See "Christmas in July—Inside a Santa Summer Camp.")

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131219-santa-claus-origin-history-christmas-facts-st-nicholas/
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 01:45:10 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Victoria33

Re: From St. Nicholas to Santa Claus: the surprising origins of Kris Kringle
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 02:02:18 pm »
From St. Nicholas to Santa Claus: the surprising origins of Kris Kringle
Santa Claus, Father Christmas, St. Nick—no matter the name, everyone knows the story of this plump, jolly, bringer of gifts. Or do they?
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/12/131219-santa-claus-origin-history-christmas-facts-st-nicholas/
@rangerrebew

My son, the producer/director of documentary films, made a film about St. Nicholas.  Your link goes to National Geographic and I believe he made this film for them.  He went to Turkey where St. Nicholas lived and documented his life and how he helped people and gave gifts to children.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: From St. Nicholas to Santa Claus: the surprising origins of Kris Kringle
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 03:02:02 pm »
@rangerrebew

My son, the producer/director of documentary films, made a film about St. Nicholas.  Your link goes to National Geographic and I believe he made this film for them.  He went to Turkey where St. Nicholas lived and documented his life and how he helped people and gave gifts to children.

@Victoria33 I have to see this! I was watching Santa cam last night on the internet. Me and five million people. I’ll never grow up. Sigh,
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️