Author Topic: Schumer says funding for border wall will never pass, 'not today, not next week, not next year'  (Read 4504 times)

Online mountaineer

There is a difference.  Pres. Trump is trying to keep that promise.  Unfortunately, he should have addressed this issue last year. 
Agreed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
You are knee-jerk emotion when it comes to anything even remotely Trump related.

Great post! 888high58888
Principles matter. Words matter.

Oceander

C'mon, every president makes promises to get elected. Some of them have a cooperative Congress and can make those promises reality. Most don't.

Classic rule of politics - of life generally: don’t promise what you can’t deliver.  Trump apparently thought that dealing with Congress was going to be like wheedling real estate investments out of little old ladies, or enticing apprentices to embarrass themselves on TV, or scam wannabes into paying for Trump University. 

Well, it ain’t.  Those groups are all little league compared to dealing with Congress. 

If he ever bothered to think things through, and pay attention to details, he’d have known that, and would have made his promises accordingly. 

Oceander

There is a difference.  Pres. Trump is trying to keep that promise.  Unfortunately, he should have addressed this issue last year.  I would point out that I think waiting until the last minute is suspect.  Perhaps he felt that the GOP would maintain their majority in both Houses and now realizes that the wall isn't going to happen unless  he is successful in getting funding NOW.

Last refuge of the hopeless:  at least he tried.  Gee, where have we heard that excuse before?  Most of Obama’s two terms, perhaps.  Gosh, Obama’s didn’t get cheap health care for all, but at least he tried. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Classic rule of politics - of life generally: don’t promise what you can’t deliver.  Trump apparently thought that dealing with Congress was going to be like wheedling real estate investments out of little old ladies, or enticing apprentices to embarrass themselves on TV, or scam wannabes into paying for Trump University. 

Well, it ain’t.  Those groups are all little league compared to dealing with Congress. 

If he ever bothered to think things through, and pay attention to details, he’d have known that, and would have made his promises accordingly.

On top of that, he never negotiated the deals, anyway. He just signed off on whatever his lawyers came up with, after discussions. Most of the behind the scenes work involved payoffs to local politicians and unions. That’s why he proposed resurrecting earmarks at one of the televised meetings.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:33:47 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

On top of that, he never negotiated the deals, anyway. He just signed off on whatever his lawyers came up with, after discussions. Most of the behind the scenes work involved payoffs to local politicians and unions. That’s why he proposed resurrecting earmarks at one of the televised meetings.

No, he did a lot of the pitching; the lawyers obviously drew up the legal documents, but Trumpy Bear put on the show to convince the marks to part with their money. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Whatevs one thinks about President Trump, Chuckie is overplaying his hand.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Mexico will pay for it. Wait, maybe not....looks like it depends on your perspective.

Mick Mulvaney says DHS can’t 'spend money from Mexico' for wall: 'We have to get it from the treasury'

Sanders said "we're not asking American taxpayers" for money for the wall and added that "the president has been clear that the USMCA deal would provide additional revenue through the deal that would show that Mexico has paid for the wall."

Moran pushed back, saying: "But trade benefits go to private citizens. They don't go to the United States Treasury."

Mulvaney said that through the new agreement, "American workers are going to do better, the government is going to do better, and you could make the argument that Mexico is paying for it in that fashion."

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/mick-mulvaney-says-dhs-t-spend-money-mexico-135908719--abc-news-topstories.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

Whatevs one thinks about President Trump, Chuckie is overplaying his hand.

We’ll see.  It’s quite possible.  It’s also possible that he has gauged the odds better than Trump; that is not a bad bet given how long he’s been in Congress. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We’ll see.  It’s quite possible.  It’s also possible that he has gauged the odds better than Trump; that is not a bad bet given how long he’s been in Congress.

It is possible, and it's hard to tell if Chuckie can pull it off. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This’ll be fun to watch. 

Of course, if the democrats were really smart about this, they’d budget in $5 billion for the wall, but lard it up with lots of earmarks for spending on various favored unions and other democrat party supporters - pick their fave construction companies - then set a realllllly slow timeline so that at most $500 million has actually been spent by 2020, when they may very well have the votes to terminate the rest of the spending and reappropriate the funds to some other union boondoggle.

@Oceander

For once we are in agreement. I am in fact surprised they didn't jump right on it. I can only conclude that Trump has them so steamed they are more focused on hurting him than they are helping themselves. Assuming of course that such a thing is even possible.

Up-Chuckie has chosen this as his hill to politically die on,so I hope Trump manages to pull this one out of his hat. Going to be hard with the RINO's seeing a lot of their kickback money disappear,but I hope it is still possible.

We either control our borders or admit we no longer have a country and just give up pretending.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I think Chuck pretty much has answered Sarah Sanders' question of whether he hates Trump more than he loves his country.

Wrong question. His country is Israel.

Online mountaineer

Wrong question. His country is Israel.
If Schumer truly cared about Israel, he probably wouldn't be a Democrat.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Not a Schumer supporter, I’m just in favor of thinking as opposed to knee-jerk emoting.  And underestimating someone like Schumer is simply stupid.  As Trumpy Bear has now learned.

@Oceander

Underestimating Trump is GOOD,and underestimating Up-Chuck is stupid?

Uh,huh. Gotcha.

Oceander

@Oceander

For once we are in agreement. I am in fact surprised they didn't jump right on it. I can only conclude that Trump has them so steamed they are more focused on hurting him than they are helping themselves. Assuming of course that such a thing is even possible.

Up-Chuckie has chosen this as his hill to politically die on,so I hope Trump manages to pull this one out of his hat. Going to be hard with the RINO's seeing a lot of their kickback money disappear,but I hope it is still possible.

We either control our borders or admit we no longer have a country and just give up pretending.

It isn’t a binary either/or.  The wall, even if it was 100 feet high and 100 feet deep along the entire border with Mexico, and lined with guards with orders to shoot to kill, it wouldn’t stop most illegal immigration. 

And the country got on quite well for about 100 years with porous borders, and nobody seriously thought the US was not a sovereign country because of that. 

Oceander

@Oceander

Underestimating Trump is GOOD,and underestimating Up-Chuck is stupid?

Uh,huh. Gotcha.

Who’s underestimating Trumpy Bear?  The democrats seem to have him dialed in pretty well. 

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Chuckie says a lot of things.

Usually opening the windows and hosing the room with a can of Glade will get rid of most of his stench.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I never said none got across.  You’re delusional if you think your cherished Wall is going to stop them all.  Did the Maginot Line stop the Germans?

@Oceander

Yes.

Oceander

@Oceander

Yes.

Really?  So that invasion of France in WWII, and the pictures of Hitler in front of the Eiffel Tower, that was all fake news?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Oceander

You really are a well-programmed little robot,aren't you,comrade?

Oceander

@Oceander

You really are a well-programmed little robot,aren't you,comrade?

:bigsilly:

Ran out of stupid things to post?  Why don’t you explain to all of us how the Maginot Line prevented the Nazis from invading France. 

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If Schumer truly cared about Israel, he probably wouldn't be a Democrat.

@mountaineer

What is the name of your home planet?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
It isn’t a binary either/or.  The wall, even if it was 100 feet high and 100 feet deep along the entire border with Mexico, and lined with guards with orders to shoot to kill, it wouldn’t stop most illegal immigration. 

And the country got on quite well for about 100 years with porous borders, and nobody seriously thought the US was not a sovereign country because of that.

@Oceander

Wrong on both counts.

Oceander

@Oceander

Wrong on both counts.

Actually, I’m totally correct on both counts.  How do you think most illegals get here?  They come in on a visitors visa and then overstay the visa.  How on Earth is a wall along the Mexican border going to stop people from Poland who fly here on a visitors visa, land at JFK in New York, and then overstay the visa?

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
I never said none got across.  You’re delusional if you think your cherished Wall is going to stop them all.  Did the Maginot Line stop the Germans?

The Germans went around it.

IF, it had been Complete they wouldn't have.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com