Author Topic: Schumer says funding for border wall will never pass, 'not today, not next week, not next year'  (Read 4499 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Schumer says funding for border wall will never pass, 'not today, not next week, not next year'
by Allison Elyse Gualtieri
 | December 22, 2018 01:51 PM

Calling the partial government shutdown the result of a "two-week tantrum" by President Trump, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said the funds for the border wall the president wants will never pass the Senate.

"If you want to open the government, you must abandon the wall, plain and simple," the New York Democrat said in his remarks on the Senate floor. The Senate opened at noon Saturday for a rare session, just days before Christmas.

His Saturday comments echoed those he made Friday to Vice President Mike Pence, one of the administration's negotiators.

Trump and Senate leaders failed to come to an agreement this week that would garner the necessary 60 votes in the Republican-controlled Senate. Negotiations have stalled over $5.8 billion in funding for a border wall, which passed in the House's version of the spending bill Thursday.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/schumer-says-funding-for-border-wall-will-never-pass-not-today-not-next-week-not-next-year
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

This’ll be fun to watch. 

Of course, if the democrats were really smart about this, they’d budget in $5 billion for the wall, but lard it up with lots of earmarks for spending on various favored unions and other democrat party supporters - pick their fave construction companies - then set a realllllly slow timeline so that at most $500 million has actually been spent by 2020, when they may very well have the votes to terminate the rest of the spending and reappropriate the funds to some other union boondoggle. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:28:13 pm by Oceander »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I do not like Chuck.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online mountaineer

I think Chuck pretty much has answered Sarah Sanders' question of whether he hates Trump more than he loves his country.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

I think Chuck pretty much has answered Sarah Sanders' question of whether he hates Trump more than he loves his country.

How so?  It’s just as equally “obvious” that he has reasons for believing that a wall would simply be an expensive white elephant; another Maginot Line that would not accomplish its alleged purpose.  It’s clear too that he thinks Trump is an idiot, but that’s a pretty common, rational, belief. 

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

Yes, he's a vile man. The antithesis of a leader. I'm glad the dems are making it crystal clear they do not think the US needs borders.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline jpsb

How so?  It’s just as equally “obvious” that he has reasons for believing that a wall would simply be an expensive white elephant; another Maginot Line that would not accomplish its alleged purpose.  It’s clear too that he thinks Trump is an idiot, but that’s a pretty common, rational, belief.

FYI, the Maginot Line worked. Germany had to invade Belgium to go around it.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Asked if he meant Trump was using this as a campaign issue rather than seeking a deal, Corker said, "it has to be that."

"It's a spectacle, and candidly, it's juvenile," Corker said. "The whole thing is juvenile."

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/12/23/politics/bob-corker-shutdown-cnntv/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

Yes, he's a vile man. The antithesis of a leader. I'm glad the dems are making it crystal clear they do not think the US needs borders.

Or maybe they think the US needs smarter borders, given that most illegal aliens entered legally on a visitors visa and then simply stayed instead of leaving when they were supposed to.  No wall is going to do anything to stop visa overstays. 

Offline jpsb

Dems care more about protecting illegals then they care about protecting the USA and its' citizens.
Dems are the party of gangs, drugs, human trafficking, rape, murder and crime in general.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Or maybe they think the US needs smarter borders, given that most illegal aliens entered legally on a visitors visa and then simply stayed instead of leaving when they were supposed to.  No wall is going to do anything to stop visa overstays.

That doesn't preclude the need for a wall to stop drug trafficking and human trafficking.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I guess it's only reasonable that we have one Schumer supporter here. 

Oceander

Not a Schumer supporter, I’m just in favor of thinking as opposed to knee-jerk emoting.  And underestimating someone like Schumer is simply stupid.  As Trumpy Bear has now learned.

Oceander

That doesn't preclude the need for a wall to stop drug trafficking and human trafficking.

What makes you think wasting billions of dollars on a wall is going to stop drug trafficking and human trafficking?

France’s Maginot Line didn’t stop the Germans; they simply went around it.  It did, however, suck the oxygen out of the French defense budget.  What makes you think that won’t happen here?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Not a Schumer supporter, I’m just in favor of thinking as opposed to knee-jerk emoting.  And underestimating someone like Schumer is simply stupid.  As Trumpy Bear has now learned.

You are knee-jerk emotion when it comes to anything even remotely Trump related.

Oceander

You are knee-jerk emotion when it comes to anything even remotely Trump related.

Hardly.  I give Trumpy Bear credit for the few things he’s done right, such as withdrawing from the Paris Accord, even though that withdrawal won’t actually take effect until 2020, and I give him credit for doing what McConnell and the Federalist Society told him to do in terms of nominating federal judges. 

Otherwise, he’s a pretty mixed bag, and he’s on course to ranked about as mediocre a president as Bush II was. 

Offline libertybele

Thinking??  As we just witnessed with the recent mob caravan, a physical barrier., i.e., the wall, IS needed.  Not recognizing that we need to secure our borders with a physical barrier, borders on sheer stupidity and lunacy, of which Schumer IS both.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

Thinking??  As we just witnessed with the recent mob caravan, a physical barrier., i.e., the wall, IS needed.  Not recognizing that we need to secure our borders with a physical barrier, borders on sheer stupidity and lunacy, of which Schumer IS both.

Really?  You mean the caravan got into the US?  After all, we don’t have a wall yet, so if the wall is the only thing that will keep illegals out, then they must have gotten in.

Wait a moment, no, they didn’t actually get in, did they?

Offline libertybele

Hardly.  I give Trumpy Bear credit for the few things he’s done right, such as withdrawing from the Paris Accord, even though that withdrawal won’t actually take effect until 2020, and I give him credit for doing what McConnell and the Federalist Society told him to do in terms of nominating federal judges. 

Otherwise, he’s a pretty mixed bag, and he’s on course to ranked about as mediocre a president as Bush II was.

President Trump PROMISED the electorate majority a WALL and that IS what got him elected.  He is trying to keep his promise.  Interesting that you would find fault with that.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Really?  You mean the caravan got into the US?  After all, we don’t have a wall yet, so if the wall is the only thing that will keep illegals out, then they must have gotten in.

Wait a moment, no, they didn’t actually get in, did they?

If you don't think that any of those in the caravan got across you are delusional. 

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
*****rollingeyes*****
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

If you don't think that any of those in the caravan got across you are delusional. 

I never said none got across.  You’re delusional if you think your cherished Wall is going to stop them all.  Did the Maginot Line stop the Germans?

Oceander

President Trump PROMISED the electorate majority a WALL and that IS what got him elected.  He is trying to keep his promise.  Interesting that you would find fault with that.

Maybe he shouldn’t have promised what he couldn’t deliver.  But then again, that’s classic Trumpy Bear:  all bun, no beef.

Online mountaineer

Maybe he shouldn’t have promised what he couldn’t deliver.  But then again, that’s classic Trumpy Bear:  all bun, no beef.
C'mon, every president makes promises to get elected. Some of them have a cooperative Congress and can make those promises reality. Most don't.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

C'mon, every president makes promises to get elected. Some of them have a cooperative Congress and can make those promises reality. Most don't.

There is a difference.  Pres. Trump is trying to keep that promise.  Unfortunately, he should have addressed this issue last year.  I would point out that I think waiting until the last minute is suspect.  Perhaps he felt that the GOP would maintain their majority in both Houses and now realizes that the wall isn't going to happen unless  he is successful in getting funding NOW.