Author Topic: Hydrogen fuel is back in the picture  (Read 1326 times)

rangerrebew

Hydrogen fuel is back in the picture
« on: December 19, 2018, 05:56:07 pm »

Features Technology 12 November 2018
Hydrogen fuel is back in the picture

As the price of renewable energy drops and storage technologies mature, hydrogen fuel is drawing fresh attention. Bianca Nogrady reports.

Jorgo Chatzimarkakis was refuelling his hydrogen fuel-cell car at one of the 50-plus refuelling stations scattered around Germany when a Tesla driver, who was recharging his own car, approached.

The man was excited to see a hydrogen-powered car in action, and was brimming with questions. Chatzimarkakis, who is secretary general of Hydrogen Europe, was happy to answer them, and the two talked for several minutes.

But by then, the hydrogen car was fully refuelled, while the Tesla driver still faced a long wait while his battery recharged.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/hydrogen-fuel-is-back-in-the-picture

Offline thackney

Re: Hydrogen fuel is back in the picture
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 08:27:27 pm »
My experience working with hydrogen in refineries convinces me it is a stupid and inefficient energy storage medium.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:19:04 pm »
My experience working with hydrogen in refineries convinces me it is a stupid and inefficient energy storage medium.

Seems a bit volatile?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 01:21:51 pm »
Seems a bit volatile?

Also irreducibly expensive. Using hydrogen as a fuel is a idiocy not even exceeded by photovoltaic and wind power

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 01:32:07 pm »

After 30 years of dealing with Hydrogen "auto-ignition" issues in the petrochemical industry, I don't think Joe Q Public understands those implications
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 02:15:00 pm »
Seems a bit volatile?

The low specific gravity results in a lot of wasted heated created during compression to get a volume down to a useful size.  They are now starting to use 10,000 psi carbon fiber tanks to get a decent range out of a hydrogen fuel vehicle.

Hydrogen is such a small molecule it takes a higher degree of finish than normal piping threads and flanges.  Otherwise you get a leaky system.

Also hydrogen causes entitlement of normal steel type requiring a more expensive alloy to have a decent life expectancy on the pipe and equipment.

The safety issue following a leak is hydrogen has a huge range of flammability concentrations.  Where methane and gasoline have a rather narrow range (most combinations are either too rich or too lean to ignite), hydrogen will ignite over a very large range.

http://www.wermac.org/safety/safety_what_is_lel_and_uel.html
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 02:33:39 pm »
The low specific gravity results in a lot of wasted heated created during compression to get a volume down to a useful size.  They are now starting to use 10,000 psi carbon fiber tanks to get a decent range out of a hydrogen fuel vehicle.

Hydrogen is such a small molecule it takes a higher degree of finish than normal piping threads and flanges.  Otherwise you get a leaky system.

Also hydrogen causes entitlement of normal steel type requiring a more expensive alloy to have a decent life expectancy on the pipe and equipment.

The safety issue following a leak is hydrogen has a huge range of flammability concentrations.  Where methane and gasoline have a rather narrow range (most combinations are either too rich or too lean to ignite), hydrogen will ignite over a very large range.

http://www.wermac.org/safety/safety_what_is_lel_and_uel.html
10,000 psi tanks?  Yeah, they do look like little bombs tucked under the hood.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington