Author Topic: Russian propagandists targeted African Americans to influence 2016 US election  (Read 693 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Russian propagandists targeted African Americans to influence 2016 US election
Jon Swaine

Russian online propagandists aggressively targeted African Americans during the 2016 US election campaign to suppress votes for Hillary Clinton and help Donald Trump, according to new research.

Analysts found that Russian operatives used social media to “confuse, distract, and ultimately discourage” black people and other pro-Clinton blocs from voting, using bogus claims such as Clinton receiving money from the Ku Klux Klan.

Black turnout declined in 2016 for the first presidential election in 20 years, according to the US census bureau, falling to less than 60% from a record high of 66.6% in 2012. Exit polls indicated that black voters strongly favoured Clinton over Trump.

Read more at: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/17/russian-propagandists-targeted-african-americans-2016-election

I'm watchful of propaganda but no one should let mere social media affect them so superficially.  And that's about all I've ever seen of these tricks, social media posts.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I'm watchful of propaganda but no one should let mere social media affect them so superficially.  And that's about all I've ever seen of these tricks, social media posts.

From what I saw (actual ads and FB pages), the Russians targeted everyone including gun owning conservatives. They played the gender card, the racist card, the gaystopa card, the gun grabber card. They may of actually worked to elect Hillary more than Trump in that the left has more hot button butt hurt issues to choose from.

Did they run race baiting ads, absolutely, but they ran other dividing ads also.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 10:12:59 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline skeeter

Is there no end to Russian mischief? Why can't they be like the chicoms, who watch in awe the American electoral system in action from a respectful distance?