Author Topic: PICKING A GUN FOR AGING, WEAKER OR IMPAIRED HANDS  (Read 1890 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
PICKING A GUN FOR AGING, WEAKER OR IMPAIRED HANDS
« on: December 16, 2018, 02:31:48 am »
A number of people have conditions that impair hand strength or function, some folks are just old and some folks just don’t have much hand strength to begin with.

It goes without saying – but will get mentioned anyway – that a person who cannot safely handle or operate a firearm has no business with one.

With that said, the ravages of time spare few people, leading some folks to eventually need a different carry gun or don’t find too many carry guns to their liking. Now, some conventional wisdom actually applies, but some definitely does not, depending on circumstances.

What are the factors that can make a gun harder to operate for a person?

Dimensions are one aspect; the smaller the pistol, the more fine motor control is needed. Sheer grip strength is also required for grip and to actuate the slide, if using a semi-automatic. Recoil is also a factor, as even moderate calibers such as .45 ACP can eventually become a bit much for extended practice sessions.

As a result, the standard sort of carry gun becomes a little less viable.

For instance, snubbie revolvers can become a little more problematic. The smaller trigger guard and double-action trigger can become a little harder to operate. Additionally, the recoil of a compact, light-weight pistol can be unpleasant. Shooting .38 Special from a Model 10, old Police Positive or GP100 is easy. From an Airweight J-frame or LCR…it can get a bit livelier.

Since practice is a necessary component of defensive shooting skills, you need to have a gun you can practice with. A lightweight snubbie may not be the best option in this instance, but that will be down to the individual; for some people, it may be perfect.

Then again, there are plenty of round-butt models on medium frames available for concealed carry as well. For those that prefer a wheelgun, K-frame compacts and Ruger SP101 pistols are likely a better option.

Today’s wildly popular polymer striker pistols are fantastic, as you can get them as large or small as one likes. They’re reliable, they’re accurate, and they’re everywhere. However, the hitch there is that the striker firing mechanism requires stiffer recoil springs, making the slide harder to operate for those with declining or otherwise not ample grip strength.

In this regard, a compact or even subcompact hammer-fired semi-auto is more sensible. Some are purpose-built to require less strength to actuate the slide. Springfield Armory’s XD-E pistol was designed with easier operation in mind, as is S&W’s Shield 380 EZ, which are both excellent carry pistols.

It may also help to step down in caliber. Some folks prefer .45 ACP, but as time wears on, it can beat up the wrists. Same goes for 10mm, for .357 Magnum and so on. Going down to 9mm can make practice sessions on the range a bit easier…and as a side benefit, cheaper!

https://dailycaller.com/2018/12/15/ccw-weekend-picking-a-gun-for-aging-weaker-or-impaired-hands/
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Meldrew

Re: PICKING A GUN FOR AGING, WEAKER OR IMPAIRED HANDS
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 02:58:12 am »
In this regard, a compact or even subcompact hammer-fired semi-auto is more sensible. Some are purpose-built to require less strength to actuate the slide. Springfield Armory’s XD-E pistol was designed with easier operation in mind, as is S&W’s Shield 380 EZ, which are both excellent carry pistols.

I do a little part-time work at a local gun store. We sell a LOT of Shield EZ's both to ladies and older folks.  They really are easier to live with and in 380 are plenty capable at short, defensive distances. 

Mini-rant:  Much of the reason folks have trouble racking the slide on a semi auto is that they are doing it wrong.  One hand on the slide and one hand on the grip pushing against each other across the chest will usually get the job done.  Many still try to use 2 fingers on the slide then wonder why they can't move it.  Duh... /rant

It may also help to step down in caliber. Some folks prefer .45 ACP, but as time wears on, it can beat up the wrists. Same goes for 10mm, for .357 Magnum and so on. Going down to 9mm can make practice sessions on the range a bit easier…and as a side benefit, cheaper!

Anecdotal of course but I am seeing what's beginning to look like a resurgence of interest in 22 magnum.  I've sold 3 or 4 Ruger LCR's in 22mag this week alone to older ladies (70+) that are died in the wool revolver people but want something easier than daddy's 38spl.  Not exactly a man stopping powerhouse round perhaps but certainly better than the proverbial sharp stick and much more likely to enable the old girls to place multiple rounds on target than larger calibers. 

Good thread - thanks @txradioguy !
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 02:59:14 am by Meldrew »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:37:16 am »
Anecdotal of course but I am seeing what's beginning to look like a resurgence of interest in 22 magnum.  I've sold 3 or 4 Ruger LCR's in 22mag this week alone to older ladies (70+) that are died in the wool revolver people but want something easier than daddy's 38spl.  Not exactly a man stopping powerhouse round perhaps but certainly better than the proverbial sharp stick and much more likely to enable the old girls to place multiple rounds on target than larger calibers.

@Meldrew do you think in this day and age of the tacti-cool era of 9mm 15 round pistols and the "must have" AR15 style rifle...that popular is actually drowning out functional?

IMHO at bad breath distances...a rapid succession of well placed .22LR hollow points can do as much damage as one or two 115gr 9mm or a 230gr .45 if your objective is to stop the intruder/attacker from advancing any further than they already have and giving the yourself the opportunity to escape the situation.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 02:03:55 pm »
@Meldrew do you think in this day and age of the tacti-cool era of 9mm 15 round pistols and the "must have" AR15 style rifle...that popular is actually drowning out functional?

@txradioguy Unquestionably yes.  I've often stood across the counter from someone who definitely wants a certain gun but can't really tell you why - they just want it (that's fine btw but seems misguided).  This is especially obvious with younger males and Glock fans.  It seems that only arthritis or decades of experience can overcome the marketing-driven need for tactical "perfection" for many shooters. Inexperienced shooters and most women seem more openminded about their carry choices but they too will often make a choice based solely on the recommendation of a relative or friend (e.g. youngish woman buying a 38 snubbie because daddy thinks it's a good idea.)

Fortunately we live in a time of many good choices thus giving folks plenty of alternatives when they finally figure out what they really want.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 03:07:49 pm »

IMHO at bad breath distances...a rapid succession of well placed .22LR hollow points can do as much damage as one or two 115gr 9mm or a 230gr .45 if your objective is to stop the intruder/attacker from advancing any further than they already have and giving the yourself the opportunity to escape the situation.

@txradioguy

Being able to put a bullet where you want it is MUCH more important than the caliber. Put a 22 short through an eye socket and the person you shot is no longer a threat to you or anyone else.

I normally carry a 9 shot 22 LR revolver with the rear sights removed unless I am going to a big city nearby. Then I carry my 5 shot 44 Special with the 3 inch barrel,no rear sight, and bobbed hammer. Primarily because I am more likely  to "meet" fools who confuse barrel size with lethality,and my FIRST goal is to NOT have to shoot anyone if that is even remotely possible. City thugs tend to be ignorant about anything they don't see on teebee or rap videos,so chances are I would have to go ahead and kill those fools if I were carrying my 22. The big hole in the 44 barrel just MIGHT scare them to the point I don't have to shoot.

But make no mistake about it. If I am convinced that I have no other option than to shoot,there will be at least one dead body left laying around as I consider my "step 2 options".
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 03:19:25 pm »

@txradioguy

I have to disagree. Yes,several 22 LR hollowpoints in the torso will undoubtedly kill an attacker. Eventually. When being attacked your goal is NOT to "kill the attacker",it is to "stop the attack so YOU  don't get hurt."

What good does it do you to have the attacker die three days later in the hospital if he has already killed you?

The advantage to large caliber bullets like 45 ACP's is that you can get by with sloppy aim to a certain extent because of the damage they do when a hit is made pretty much anywhere. Plus,of course the obvious advantage of having an opponent staring down the big hole in the barrel might prevent having to shoot at all. Which is really the ideal situation because it avoids  having to hire a lawyer and spending your life savings to stay out of jail.

22LR's will work as well as 45 ACP rounds at close range,but bullet placement becomes MUCH more important. The good news is since they are closer,it's easier to put a few rounds into the attackers brain,and that will end the ball game as surely as an artillery strike.

Having said all this,I would not recommend a 22 caliber handgun as the primary self-defense handgun for most people because most people have never been in a gunfight,and will panic and just blast away. In cases like this it is MUCH better to have a 45 ACP on the off chance that one round hits the attacker.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 03:31:58 pm »
My grandpa had a saying. If you can't hit em once with a 44, hit em twice with a 22. Confidence and accuracy are what count. If flinching is a problem a good .22 is the answer.

When I was a youngin my favorite pistol was a long barreled .22 Smith and Wesson automatic. You could drive tacks with it. Easy to operate even for smallish hands.
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 04:55:11 pm »
My grandpa had a saying. If you can't hit em once with a 44, hit em twice with a 22. Confidence and accuracy are what count. If flinching is a problem a good .22 is the answer.

When I was a youngin my favorite pistol was a long barreled .22 Smith and Wesson automatic. You could drive tacks with it. Easy to operate even for smallish hands.

@Idaho_Cowboy

A Ruger 22 is also a good pick if you can remember to NOT completely disassemble it for cleaning. I've put a few back together for people that made that mistake.

Best things about one other than their insane accuracy is they resemble a German Luger,something most thugs have seen in movies,and will be afraid of. Plus it is large enough to be an actual Luger,so most will probably never even notice the small bore. It is also insanely reliable.