Author Topic: Home made sausage - recipes?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Home made sausage - recipes?
« on: December 15, 2018, 10:16:42 pm »
Mother-in-laws boyfriend invited the wife an I over to make sausage.  Never did that before so I figured that would be a good prepper skill to add to my list. 

HAD A BLAST (the beer helped)!

Now I want to make my own.  I have a grinder / extruder, smoker, dehydrator and a place to source my pork shoulder from.  I even have access to some wild meets (dear, elk, antelope, buffalo, etc) ... just missing a good recipe.

The wife is looking for a good sweet Italian sausage, I am more into hearty (sage, garlic, rosemary, etc.)

Any Freeper favorites?

Offline corbe

Re: Home made sausage - recipes?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:35:32 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:02:15 pm »
No videos, please.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 11:06:12 pm »
Check out the AC Legg brand seasonings on Amazon.  I got the pork sausage (breakfast) seasoning and like it quite a lot.  They make a lot of other flavoring blends though.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 12:05:22 am »
Boudin

Ingredients

• 1½ pounds duck, venison, beef, pork, whatever
  • ½ pound liver
  • ½ pound pork fat
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 2 poblano peppers, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 6 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4 tablespoons kosher salt
  • ½ teaspoon Instacure No. 1 (if you are going to smoke)
  • 3 to 5 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
  • 2 cups cooked white rice (long-grain is best)
  • 1 cup parsley, chopped
  • 1 cup green onions, chopped
  • Hog casings

Instructions

• Chop the meats, liver and fat into chunks that will fit in the grinder. Mix the meats, liver and fat with the onion, celery, poblano peppers and garlic, then the salt, curing salt (if using) and either the Cajun seasonings or the spice mix you made from this recipe. Put it all in a lidded container and set in the fridge at least an hour, and up to a day.
  • Put the contents of the container into a large pot and pour in enough water to cover everything by an inch or two. Bring to a simmer and cook gently until everything is tender, at least 90 minutes and up to 3 hours. Strain the cooking liquid (you'll need it later) and spread the meat, fat and veggies out on a sheet pan to cool.
  • When everything is cool enough to handle, grind it through the coarse die (6.5 mm) on your grinder. You can also hand chop everything.
  • Put your meat mix into a large bowl and add the cooked rice, parsley and green onions. Mix well, and add up to 4 cups of the reserved cooking liquid. Mix this for 3 to 5 minutes so you make a more cohesive mixture to stuff into a casing. You now have boudin.
  • You can just shape the mixture into balls and fry them (they're awesome), or use your boudin as stuffing for something else, like a turkey. Or you can case it. Stuff the boudin into hog casings, and while you're doing it, get a large pot of salted water hot -- not simmering, just steaming. You want the water to be about 165ºF to 170ºF. Poach the links for 10 minutes, then serve. If you are not serving them right away, no need to poach the links yet.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 02:22:11 am »
I had a coworker who would often bring his smoked boudin to work to share.
So I started smoking it myself. I never made my own boudin myself.

I found these smoking instructions:

Smoked Boudin

https://www.smoking-meat.com/june-2009-smoked-boudin-recipe

Boudin is usually placed in just a little water and heated up that way or thrown on the grill – that is how you heat it up quick. As with all things smoked, it requires patience but you soon learn that the wait is worth it.

Smoke goes with boudin much like it goes with ribs.. after experiencing it that way you just don't want to eat it any other way.

Assuming you have found some boudin and purchased some.. prepare it by opening the package and brushing on a little EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) onto each one. If you want to live on the wild side you can sprinkle on a little rub. I usually don't add anything to the kind I buy.

Get the smoker going and once it is perking along at about 225 degrees F, place the boudin
directly on the grate and close the lid.

About once every hour, brush on some fresh EVOO and close the lid again.

After about 3 hours the boudin can be removed from the smoker and served.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 02:28:16 am »
So . . . you went to a sausage party?
I stand with Roosgirl.