Author Topic: Blow flies helped exonerate a woman of murder 17 years after the fact  (Read 575 times)

rangerrebew

Blow flies helped exonerate a woman of murder 17 years after the fact

Or rather, a lack thereof.
Gail Anderson/The Conversation December 13, 2018

On Jan. 2, 2018, Kirstin Blaise Lobato, who was charged and convicted of murder, walked free from a Nevada prison due entirely to forensic entomology.

Forensic entomologists study the insects colonizing a dead body to estimate how long they have been active on the body and infer time of death. What was so unusual in Lobato’s case was not the presence of insects, but rather the absence of insects on the body.

Yet neither defence nor prosecution lawyers queried this absence, an oversight that led to Lobato’s 16-year incarceration.

https://www.popsci.com/blow-flies-overturned-wrongful-conviction

Offline Victoria33

Re: Blow flies helped exonerate a woman of murder 17 years after the fact
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:27:39 pm »
@rangerrebew

Now, Ranger rock hound, you and I are friends.  Did you read that article?  When I read how the homeless man was cut up and an 18 yr. old girl supposed to have done it, how could you put such a gruesome "mind"picture on here - what is "imagined" cannot be wiped away.  Due to her age and the way the man was cut up, I would have done more investigation before arresting, trying, sending her to prison for many years.
Thanks for the article, but it is gruesome.