Author Topic: WV: Former Moundsville Mayor Admits To Selling Drugs  (Read 1667 times)

Offline mountaineer

WV: Former Moundsville Mayor Admits To Selling Drugs
« on: December 15, 2018, 12:13:02 pm »
Former Moundsville Mayor Admits To Selling Drugs
Staff Reports
Wheeling Intelligencer
Dec. 15, 2018
MOUNDSVILLE — A former mayor has pleaded guilty in federal court to charges that he distributed the narcotic oxycodone, also known as Percocet, in Marshall County.

Kevin Mark Simms, 63, of Moundsville, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Wheeling to one count of distribution of oxycodone. Simms admitted to selling the drug in Marshall County in October 2017. He faces up to 20 years in prison and a fine of $1 million, although the actual sentence can vary depending on prior criminal history.  ...

In October 2015, Simms was arrested on a DUI causing injury charge stemming from a near head-on collision with another vehicle on W.Va. 86.

At the time of the crash, Simms told deputies he was taking oxycodone for dental work.  ...
Pretty sure that I recently read that one of the contributors or "gateways" to the so-called opioid crisis is dentists overprescribing the drug. I'm about to have a painful medical procedure and already have filled my oxycodone Rx for 40 pills. Maybe the doctor should have prescribed a lesser amount, at least to start.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

Re: WV: Former Moundsville Mayor Admits To Selling Drugs
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:15:01 pm »
Former Moundsville Mayor Admits To Selling Drugs
Staff Reports
Wheeling Intelligencer
Dec. 15, 2018Pretty sure that I recently read that one of the contributors or "gateways" to the so-called opioid crisis is dentists overprescribing the drug. I'm about to have a painful medical procedure and already have filled my oxycodone Rx for 40 pills. Maybe the doctor should have prescribed a lesser amount, at least to start.  :shrug:

That's a rather generous prescription.  These days, a patient is lucky to get ten pills.  Are you sure your doctor is not one of those overprescribers?  LOL

Seriously, I hope the procedure goes well and you don't need all those pills.  I've had opioids and hated the way they made me feel.  They didn't really ease the pain, but they made me so loopy, I didn't care.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 06:03:55 pm »
I'm taking them only at bedtime.  Really,  the pain isn't too bad. I can't understand why doctors and dentists are so quick to prescribe opioids.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 06:25:40 pm »
When I broke my ankle back in 1998, a doctor insisted I get a scrip for a combination of oxy and Tylenol because "the pain might get worse later."  Well, really, the pain was manageable, but my Mom, God rest her soul, nagged me into taking them anyway.  After feeling like my head was filled with cotton, I said the H with this.  If I needed pain relief, I just took OTC Tylenol. 

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 02:32:33 am »
When I broke my ankle back in 1998, a doctor insisted I get a scrip for a combination of oxy and Tylenol because "the pain might get worse later."  Well, really, the pain was manageable, but my Mom, God rest her soul, nagged me into taking them anyway.  After feeling like my head was filled with cotton, I said the H with this.  If I needed pain relief, I just took OTC Tylenol. 

I had a similar experience several years ago when I needed about half a mouth’s worth of serious dental work.  I took the prescribed painkiller once, and did not like the way it made me feel, so I managed it with OTC ibuprofen after that.  It still hurt, but it was manageable, and I didn’t feel fuzzy-headed.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 03:47:21 am »
The story that goes around in the media is that people suffer an injury or illness that causes pain, the doctor prescribes opioids and the patients become hooked.  But I think many of those who do get hooked really don't have any pain at all.  These are people who are looking for a high and with opioids they can get that high legally from a pharmacy (instead of from some possibly shady and dangerous dealer) and if they are insured or on Medicaid, they might have to pay little to nothing for it.  These are the ones who have made life difficult for people with terminal illness or chronic, debilitating pain who legitimately need an opioid to make it through the day.  I feel bad for those who do need the opioids.  Thanks to the abusers and the unscrupulous medical professionals who have become their dealers, those with a legitimate need for these drugs are having a difficult time getting them. 

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 04:25:48 am »
   Many valid points in your post @Applewood and I speak as a former addict.  One year into the obummer Administration he directed his FDA to cut down on Benzo's abuse (Valiums/Xanax) I wasn't worried cause I didn't take those, I just dated women who did, it was painful for all involved.  6 months later he came after the opioids, the VA cut me OFF. I continued to purchase my subsistence on the street, relatively cheap, for a couple of years but the people I was dealing with begat the question of my pain level and returned me to sanity, I quit.  I take too much Tylenol ES but all in all I'm a much happier camper now.

PS:  My Dr. has seen my MRI's and would give me opioids if I asked him and I may in the future. The only addiction that scares me these days is my cigarette habit.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.