Author Topic: Apple picks Texas for $1B site  (Read 901 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Apple picks Texas for $1B site
« on: December 13, 2018, 03:33:58 pm »
Apple picks Texas for $1B site
By John Bowden - 12/13/18 10:07 AM EST

Apple announced Thursday that it will open a new campus in Austin, Texas, where it estimates about 15,000 jobs will be created across a variety of fields including engineering and finance.

The tech giant said in a statement that it would spend $1 billion to build the campus in north Austin, at a location less than a mile from existing Apple facilities.

A 133-acre facility will initially employ 5,000 workers, the company said, adding that the planned expansion is predicted to make Apple the largest employer in the city.

“Apple is among the world’s most innovative companies and an avid creator of jobs in Texas and across the country,” Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) said in a statement. “Their decision to expand operations in our state is a testament to the high-quality workforce and unmatched economic environment that Texas offers."

more
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/421190-apple-picks-texas-for-1b-site
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Apple picks Texas for $1B site
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:37:38 pm »
Austin gets a little weirder now.

Just returned from Seattle where daughter lives.  We do not want that, believe me.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline the_doc

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:55:37 pm »
Austin gets a little weirder now.

Just returned from Seattle where daughter lives.  We do not want that, believe me.

Property taxes are already high in Austin.  15,000 new folks at Apple will probably increase the total population by 50,000 to 75,000 over the next decade, thereby driving up housing tax valuations and making it hard to afford living there for folks who are already comfortably settled in.  (The higher property values are great if you want to sell and move away, but most Austinites will not want to move.)

A fair number of home owners in Austin were praying that Amazon would not choose Austin.  Well, that worked out, but they won't like the news about Apple.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 02:41:40 am »
This will make Austin even more expensive, liberal, and unbearable. So glad I left.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 03:01:53 am »
This will make Austin even more expensive, liberal, and unbearable. So glad I left.

Me too, @austingirl!