Author Topic: How stereo was first sold to a skeptical public  (Read 515 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
How stereo was first sold to a skeptical public
« on: December 12, 2018, 07:42:58 pm »
https://phys.org/news/2018-12-stereo-sold-skeptical.html

How stereo was first sold to a skeptical public
December 12, 2018 by Jonathan Schroeder And Janet Borgerson, The Conversation

When we hear the word "stereo" today, we might simply think of a sound system, as in "turn on the stereo."

But stereo actually is a specific technology, like video streaming or the latest expresso maker.

Sixty years ago, it was introduced for the first time.

Whenever a new technology comes along – whether it's Bluetooth, high-definition TV or Wi-Fi – it needs to be explained, packaged and promoted to customers who are happy with their current products.

Stereo was no different. As we explore in our recent book, "Designed for Hi-Fi Living: The Vinyl LP in Midcentury America," stereo needed to be sold to skeptical consumers. This process involved capturing the attention of a public fascinated by space-age technology using cutting-edge graphic design, in-store sound trials and special stereo demonstration records.

More at URL above...

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: How stereo was first sold to a skeptical public
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »
Interesting article with an RCA video from the 50's. The narrator comes on strong and wows us with lots of big technical words!

I recall in the late 50's a "demonstration" that I remember as broadcast by the Walt Disney show (on which Walt still appeared back in those days!).

Viewers were instructed to use a radio. They were requested to set the radio to one side of the tv a few feet away, and tune to a certain station. Then, a simultaneous broadcast of music was made, with one channel being broadcast over the tv, and the other via the radio.

It actually worked!

This must have persuaded my dad (a carpenter), because he built his own set of speaker cabinets and bought Heathkit amplifier and tuner kits to connect to 'em!