Author Topic: Stormy in a teacup — campaign finance case against Trump is laughably weak  (Read 3160 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

No.  It is not.

I'm not sure how to interpret that.

Offline RoosGirl

Where did I say anything about grabbing it?

Don't like words being put in your mouth, or dicks in your hand, or dicks in your mouth, or whatever?

Offline Frank Cannon

Don't like words being put in your mouth, or dicks in your hand, or dicks in your mouth, or whatever?

Top Notch.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
No.  He did it to protect his wife and marriage.  Do campaign finance laws say a candidate can't use his own money in this way?

I'm stunned how it's completely flipped 180. In the past using anything but your own money for something like that would be a violaton, and certainly wouldn't require disclosure.

Your teenage kid is acting up and out of control, so you send him to an all-boys school in the middle of nowhere Switzerland to keep him out of the media, with your own money, but don't report it. Violation?

You start eating at a swanky restaurant to rub shoulders with the power people to enhance your visibility though you never discuss politics. All with your own money, but don't report it. Violation?

Your wife has some plastic surgery done to look better in front of the cameras. You pay for it with your own money, but don't disclose it. Violation?
The Republic is lost.

Oceander

I'm stunned how it's completely flipped 180. In the past using anything but your own money for something like that would be a violaton, and certainly wouldn't require disclosure.

Your teenage kid is acting up and out of control, so you send him to an all-boys school in the middle of nowhere Switzerland to keep him out of the media, with your own money, but don't report it. Violation?

You start eating at a swanky restaurant to rub shoulders with the power people to enhance your visibility though you never discuss politics. All with your own money, but don't report it. Violation?

Your wife has some plastic surgery done to look better in front of the cameras. You pay for it with your own money, but don't disclose it. Violation?

You totally - and intentionally - miss the point. 

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
It isn’t laughably weak.  It’s a matter of whether a jury can be convinced - or not - that the expenditure was made to influence the campaign.  There is a rather elaborate set of tests that are applied, and at the end of the day, it comes down to what the jury believes. 

There is a much tighter relationship between the payments here and the campaign-related purpose than there was in the John Edwards case.

That doesn’t mean that Trump is lost; it’s entirely possible that a jury would not believe the requisite connection existed when it’s given all the facts, but it does mean that this is a legitimate possibility that should be taken seriously by those who support the president.

IMO it is laughably weak.

What isn't laughably weak is how slimy and sleazy it is.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
You totally - and intentionally - miss the point.

No I haven't. I've ran campaigns. I understand campaign finance. This is a completely new standard for candidates that I've never heard of.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 11:39:01 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline aligncare

No I haven't. I've ran campaigns. I understand campaign finance. This is a completely new standard for candidates that I've never heard of.

I’m still waiting to hear what some fudged loan applications Cohen submitted for his failing taxi business had to do with Russian collusion or Donald Trump?

And I’ve yet to hear a good explanation of why we got a special counsel in the first place, other than for hounding Trump out of office based on nothing more than the bureaucracy’s dislike of the voters choice in president.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
And I’ve yet to hear a good explanation of why we got a special counsel in the first place, other than for hounding Trump out of office based on nothing more than the bureaucracy’s dislike of the voters choice in president.

You’ve heard it and likely many times, but chose to ignore it.

"There is a Russia investigation without a dossier. So, to the extent the memo deals with the dossier and the FISA process, the dossier has nothing to do with the meeting in Trump Tower. The dossier has nothing to do with an e-mail sent by Cambridge Analytica. The dossier really has nothing to do with George Papadopoulos' meeting in Great Britain.

"It also doesn't have anything to do with obstruction of justice. So, there is going to be a Russia probe even without a dossier,"Gowdy said.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline aligncare

"There is a Russia investigation without a dossier. So, to the extent the memo deals with the dossier and the FISA process, the dossier has nothing to do with the meeting in Trump Tower. The dossier has nothing to do with an e-mail sent by Cambridge Analytica. The dossier really has nothing to do with George Papadopoulos' meeting in Great Britain.

"It also doesn't have anything to do with obstruction of justice. So, there is going to be a Russia probe even without a dossier,"Gowdy said.

Okay, Gowdy, now answer the question, why is there a Russia investigation and more importantly, why has it morphed into a roving investigation.

Don’t bother. I know the answer: show me the man and I’ll find you the crime.

Great. We’ve become the reincarnation of the Soviet Union.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:52:49 pm by aligncare »

Offline Frank Cannon

Wow. Gowdy quotes. He is easily one of the stupidest people in the House. Nothing he has ever said comes to fruition. His investigations are like watching an Inspector Clouseau movie. He sounds like a used appliance salesman.

Offline edpc

Wow. Gowdy quotes. He is easily one of the stupidest people in the House. Nothing he has ever said comes to fruition. His investigations are like watching an Inspector Clouseau movie. He sounds like a used appliance salesman.

If Trey is one of the stupidest people in Congress, then Nunes is the king of them all. It was his choice to put Gowdy in charge of reviewing material for the investigation, due to his experience as a prosecutor. Regardless of him being the source of the quotes, those incidents still occurred and warrant the investigation.

Offline aligncare

I thought criminal investigations investigate crimes. Is collusion a crime? If not, why was the special counsel appointed? And even if it were a crime, what specific evidence that Trump had colluded triggered the special counsel statute?

....because, here we are, at a point where we’re looking at a second tier lawyer for Trump who filed fraudulent information to obtain a business loan for his failing taxicab business and squeezing him to sign any statement, saying any shit just to save his ass from long jail time.

So, where’s the beef?

It’s a cabal, folks. It’s right in front of your faces, a cabal initiated by friends of Hillary in the Obama administration.

Offline edpc

Yes, collusion is a crime. People are charged and convicted quite often by its other name – conspiracy. You may also recall SDNY prosecutors, in their investigation separate from Mueller’s, said Cohen was not particularly reliable or cooperative. Given that, corroborating witness and information provided the involvement of ‘Individual-1.’

Offline edpc

“As a part of the agreement, AMI admitted that it made the $150,000 payment in concert with a candidate’s presidential campaign, and in order to ensure that the woman did not publicize damaging allegations about the candidate before the 2016 presidential election,” according to a press release issued by the Southern District of New York.

-snip-

“AMI further admitted that its principal purpose in making the payment was to suppress the woman’s story so as to prevent it from influencing the election,” the press release read.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/tabloid-publisher-involved-trump-hush-money-payment-reaches/story?id=59779050

Offline Hoodat

I don't recall any of this coming up when Ted Kennedy paid off the Kopechne family.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline RoosGirl

I don't recall any of this coming up when Ted Kennedy paid off the Kopechne family.

Wrong political party.

Offline DB

Stormy and teacup don't belong in the same sentence.

Offline edpc

Wrong political party.

Trump should’ve stayed registered as a Democrat, as he was at the time off his dalliances with McDougal and Daniels.