Author Topic: Gov. Abbott’s property tax reform plan calls for $1.3B from state in 2020  (Read 889 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Allie Morris and Andrea Zelinski 12/12/2018

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott said Wednesday state lawmakers will ultimately decide how to fund his plan to limit how much local school districts can raise each year in property taxes. But Abbott suggested oil and gas tax revenue could help cover the projected loss of over $3 billion in school tax money by 2023.

“There have been dozens of funding strategies already identified,” Abbott said at a chamber of commerce event in Austin, though he didn’t name any others. “Because there’s going to be different pieces of the puzzle that fit together, I think it’s best left to the House and Senate and their members.”

Abbott made property tax reform a centerpiece of his re-election campaign, first floating the 2.5 percent tax cap in January. It would restrict how much local school districts can raise in property taxes each year to pay for daily operation costs such as teacher salaries and school supplies.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/texas_legislature/article/Gov-Abbott-s-property-tax-reform-plan-calls-13461925.php

Offline Frank Cannon

You can solve this problem easily. Make it illegal for this tax money to be used on anything but education. No more mega sports stadiums for high school kids.....

When high school football season kicks off in three weeks, more brand new stadiums will open around Texas.

Last season, Katy ISD caused a stir when they opened the $70.3 million Legacy Stadium – which is the most expensive high school football stadium in the state. Cy-Fair ISD's Berry Center cost $80 million in 2006, but it also includes a 9,500-seat arena and 456-seat theater to go along with the football stadium.

This season, a new stadium that will rival Katy's is set to open in McKinney. It's slated to cost $69.9 million, but since the finishing touches still are being put on the stadium, there isn't a final cost yet put on the construction.

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Most-expensive-high-school-football-stadiums-Texas-13145194.php
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:40:45 pm by Frank Cannon »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
At least in my County, seems Tax Appraisal and Assessors District has a "hard on" for our community. There are already mandated caps on percentage increases, but it sure the hell doesn't stop them from arbitrarily raising property values.

Local sham at its best to screw the rich.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You can solve this problem easily. Make it illegal for this tax money to be used on anything but education. No more mega sports stadiums for high school kids.....

When high school football season kicks off in three weeks, more brand new stadiums will open around Texas.

Last season, Katy ISD caused a stir when they opened the $70.3 million Legacy Stadium – which is the most expensive high school football stadium in the state. Cy-Fair ISD's Berry Center cost $80 million in 2006, but it also includes a 9,500-seat arena and 456-seat theater to go along with the football stadium.

This season, a new stadium that will rival Katy's is set to open in McKinney. It's slated to cost $69.9 million, but since the finishing touches still are being put on the stadium, there isn't a final cost yet put on the construction.

https://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/article/Most-expensive-high-school-football-stadiums-Texas-13145194.php

I agree with you 100%.  But do you think I would publicly say it?  Not really into thick petroleum products, feathers, and short rides on a pole.  The mania this state has for the HS pigskin is not a myth.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
You've got that right.

My youngest played baseball and the baseball fields and stadiums, were not as fancy as the football stadiums. Even then though there were drastic differences between poorer school districts and the richer ones. When you get down to it, the playing fields are pretty much the same. The grass may be better on the fancy fields, but the game is the same.

My oldest son was a varsity wrestler all 4 years.  Down here in Texas, there's no money thrown around for wrestling.

There definitely should be stadium construction limits.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

But Abbott suggested oil and gas tax revenue could help cover the projected loss of over $3 billion in school tax money by 2023.

I really hate it when one describes other peoples' money as your loss.

Slowly we are going down the path of declaring all money earned the property of the state.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

At least in my County, seems Tax Appraisal and Assessors District has a "hard on" for our community. There are already mandated caps on percentage increases, but it sure the hell doesn't stop them from arbitrarily raising property values.

Local sham at its best to screw the rich.

I agree, if they have to cap the taxes, they'll just raise the property value to cover it.
My property taxes this year jumped 10%, in Fort Bend country.

Also, the oil and gas revenue will cover it.........until it doesn't.

We've been down this road a time or two.