Author Topic: Shutdown Fears Abound, Despite Temporary Reprieve  (Read 296 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Shutdown Fears Abound, Despite Temporary Reprieve
« on: December 11, 2018, 12:50:00 am »
Shutdown Fears Abound, Despite Temporary Reprieve
Roll Call, Dec 10, 2018, Paul M. Krawzak

President Donald Trump signed a continuing resolution into law Friday that would change the expiration date of the stopgap measure enacted before the midterm elections to Dec. 21. But he wasted little time in taking aim at Democratic leaders for “playing political games” on border security funding, even as he prepares to sit down with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi of California and Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer of New York in the Oval Office Tuesday.

While many lawmakers are publicly expressing confidence a shutdown will be avoided, aides speaking on condition of anonymity said there is a widespread fear that the talks will collapse and lead to a shutdown.

The two sides are at loggerheads over Trump’s request for $5 billion in funding for a border wall. Schumer has drawn the line at the $1.6 billion in wall construction funds that Trump initially requested in his fiscal 2019 budget. The Senate's Homeland Security bill contains $1.6 billion for border security. The House version  contains nearly the $5 billion Trump requested informally in a meeting with Republicans this summer, which has skipped the formal budget amendment process but has been reinforced in private documents submitted to lawmakers.

Making matters tougher for both chambers, the White House is asking for additional dollars in late-stage requests that appropriators cannot accommodate without busting the spending caps agreed to in February; or cutting elsewhere within the bills they have already put forward; or declaring some of the money an “emergency” that shouldn't count towards the budget caps. That includes more money for wildfire suppression and a new $190 million ask to help care for unaccompanied minor children detained after crossing the border, for instance.

More:  https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/shutdown-fears-temporary-reprieve

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Shutdown Fears Abound, Despite Temporary Reprieve
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 02:30:02 am »
Many years ago I spent a long morning fixing fence with my brother and father.  When the dinner bell (lunch in some quarters) rang we got on our horses and headed for the house. As was usual, the horse my brother was riding bolted so my brother just hit him as hard as he could between the ears with the hammer he still had in his hand.  The horse went down like he had been shot and my father was screaming at my brother "you're going to kill that damned horse!"  My brother instantly replied "well he ain't worth nothing like he is!"

That's EXACTLY how I feel about the fed gov at this point so they can shut it down and leave it down for all I care!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 02:36:16 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Shutdown Fears Abound, Despite Temporary Reprieve
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 02:33:57 am »
My life will go on if the shut down happens. Who gives a shit and why would I care?.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.