Author Topic: Trump Just Achieved What Every President Since Nixon Had Promised: Energy Independence  (Read 619 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump Just Achieved What Every President Since Nixon Had Promised: Energy Independence
Investor's Business Daily, Dec 7, 2018

Last week, the U.S. exported more oil than we imported, for the first time in 70-plus years. And it happened not because of decades of federal "energy policies," but despite them.

Since Richard Nixon was in the White House, presidents have pushed national energy plans that, they said, would reduce the country's dependence on foreign oil. These plans all had one thing in common — they all assumed that increased domestic oil production couldn't solve the problem.

Instead, from Nixon on down, Republican and Democratic presidents declared that the only way to achieve energy independence was through some combination of strict conservation measures and "alternative" forms of energy.

[…]

Then President Donald Trump took office and announced a radical departure from 50 years of received energy "wisdom." In a speech to the Energy Department months after taking office, he said that for decades leaders peddled the myth of energy scarcity. Most of it is self-imposed, he said. What the country needs, he said, isn't "alternative" energy, or new austerity measures. It's a government that "promotes energy development." Trump listed actions he was taking to lift federal impediments to energy production.

Lo and behold, Trump was right.

Read more:  https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/energy-independence-trump/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Our energy independence was made clear in Trump's capitulation to Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi, the paean tweet, thanking them for increased production, and groveling for them to do more.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Our energy independence was made clear in Trump's capitulation to Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi, the paean tweet, thanking them for increased production, and groveling for them to do more.

What do you think Trump should have done about Khashoggi?  There was no way to find out what really happened and no proof.  It wasn't capitulating... it was real world actions, but if you want to go to war with Saudi about that Khashoggi guy, I suggest you grab up a rifle.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
What do you think Trump should have done about Khashoggi?  There was no way to find out what really happened and no proof.  It wasn't capitulating... it was real world actions, but if you want to go to war with Saudi about that Khashoggi guy, I suggest you grab up a rifle.

I’d try to explain it to you, but you’ve readily demonstrated today, on other threads, you’re painfully allergic to knowledge. There’s ample evidence of the communications, leading up to the murder. Since you seem to have the time, try reading about it.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I would not credit Trump with the new-found energy independence.  I give the credit for that to the inventive instincts of the Capitalist system that were under attack for the eight years prior to January 20, 2017.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

I don't see that he's achieved energy independence at all.  When we become independent of foreign oil from the M.E. then, I'd say that's an accomplishment.  That hasn't happened.  We're still bringing it in.  When we are dependent only on U.S. oil, then that will be something to celebrate.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.