Author Topic: What we should require of the dependent homeless  (Read 5274 times)

Offline berdie

Re: What we should require of the dependent homeless
« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2018, 11:18:22 pm »
What we shouldn't require of the dependent homeless

Some things are ridiculously stupid to require someone to do in order to reclaim a normal life and get out of homelessness, heres some of those things

1. We shouldnt require that a homeless person be exploited or coerced. Some evil folks love taking advantage of a persons powerlessness while they are homeless and believe it or not some of these street prowlers that target homeless people are famous sports and rock stars and politicians. Truth is, its easy to coerce someone who has nothing and it shouldnt happen, especially if all they want to do is work and reclaim a decent life.

2. We shouldn't require that homeless person be a member of a religious crowd, a political party or any other organization in order to leave the street. If they want to work for money and are willing to pay their taxes, thats all they need right there. Making them financially independent is the goal, not increasing their emotional dependency and complicating their lives with additional activities that eat up their precious time. Time that can be used looking for work and working.

Anyone got anything to add?

I am of the belief that they need to want to be helped. That is my first requirement. There is a lot of help available...if you want it badly enough.

Sometimes living with no retsrictions or demands is very attractive. Maybe a lot of those folks don't want those restrictions..   

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2018, 01:04:08 am »
I see a problem with all these solutions, everyone(almost) is making the assumption that all of the homeless are unhappy living as they do. The reality is that there a large segment of the mentally ill who by choice refuse to take medications or live in a facility, then there are those that live on the streets because they just don't want to live by societies rules. Until, and the liberals and ACLU will never let it happen, we again institutionalize the mentally ill who are incapable of living on their own, and we take the "free spirits' off the streets whether they like it or not, those two segments will never leave the streets on their own.

We'll see how much more people will take of their parks , shopping centers and neighborhoods being taken over by drug users, drunks and pedophiles before they tell the liberals to go to hell. In O.C. when they cleared out the homeless encampment along the 57 Fwy, there were not many there that weren't there by choice. I know of a Church that had off ices and facilities not far from there that had a no question asked food bank, clothing, showers and laundry facilities(I know because the company I worked for built them) free for the homeless and poor along with job assistance. There are a ton of churches of all denominations in the area offering assistance.............if people actually want it.

Offline Skeptic

• Loyal q stomper.
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2018, 04:45:43 am »
"bookmark"

Members do that so it's easier to spot participated threads or those of interest.

Okay.

Sometimes living with no retsrictions or demands is very attractive. Maybe a lot of those folks don't want those restrictions..

Being poor with no money is more restricting than working and earning money. Depending on others is more restricting than depending on yourself. You can easily observe this without having to go through it yourself. Standing on a corner with a sign seems extremely restricting, don't you think? Not to mention dangerous and shameful.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:56:31 am by Skeptic »
I won't accept.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2018, 11:18:45 am »
Wow.   I can't believe what I'm reading. If you're homeless, get a bank account?  It takes money to open a bank account and for many accounts if you don't maintain a particular balance you are charged.  Most homeless people don't have the money to open account nor maintain a balance -- they use the money to eat and survive!

@libertybele

No kidding. Just TRY to open a bank account without a mailing address.

Not to mention trying to cash a check or write a check and have it accepted if you look and smell like a typical homeless person.

Then try to keep it open without making regular deposits. If you are homeless,where are you going to get the money to do this since when you do have money,you end up paying too much for a room for one night so you can get clean and sleep comfortably.

The ironic thing is it can cost more to be homeless than to have a small apartment or room rented. The problem the homeless have is getting together enough money at one time for a months rent in advance and a security deposit. Not to mention getting the electricity and water turned on if it's not a furnished apartment. Yeah,they typically spend more than this each month for fast food,stuff like peanut butter and jelly from stop and robs,and an occasional motel room,but they are spending today's money today,and not saving anything because they don't earn much and it costs more to live like that.

Ever try to find a job when you have no mailing address,no transportation,and are barefoot because you have no shoes? I have,and it's not easy. Especially since people in that position normally have a bit of an attitude after being rejected over and over.

Get a state ID, birth certificate, etc.  -- again that all takes $$ --- money that is spent on survival on the streets.

HOW can you get a state ID without an address for them to mail it to? How can you receive your birth certificate in the mail if you have no mailing address?

The one that surprised me the most is your advice to LIE!!  Seriously??

Oh,hell YEAH! Lying is your most valuable survival tool if you are homeless and broke.

Do I know how to operate a piece of machinery? Of course I do! Even if I have never seen it before in my life.

Do I have transportation? Of course I do! I have a friend that will drop me off on his way to work. The same friend that lets me sleep in his spare bedroom until I can get on my feet.

Do I have any physical injuries or illnesses that might limit my movement or ability to work? Of course not! I am in perfect health and physical condition!

If you DON'T  lie you will stay homeless forever.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2018, 11:24:52 am »
One other factor, many, many of these people are receiving SSDI to support their addictions.

@Sanguine

Which removes their incentive to do anything but get high and take a nap.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2018, 11:26:11 am »
You think it glows in the dark?

@Sanguine @Frank Cannon

I think Frank glows in the dark.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2018, 11:27:33 am »
?? How do they qualify for SSDI if they've not worked?

@libertybele

You didn't know that addiction is now considered to be  a handicap?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2018, 11:29:54 am »
?? How do they qualify for SSDI if they've not worked?

@libertybele

The same way illegal aliens qualify for free stuff. I can't remember the names of any of the programs right now,but there are various programs out there to provide free stuff for virtually anybody BUT healthy people who want to work.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2018, 11:45:39 am »

@berdie

When I was really sick with Agent Orange infections while living in Denver,I would walk to the closest Manpower office on the days when I was able to work. Sucked at first,but once they get to know you and understand you are not an addict or a drunk and can be trusted,you get the good jobs like driving trucks.

I almost always got offered a permanent starting position by the end of the day,but had to turn them down because I had days I could work,and days I couldn't do anything. Jobs like Manpower are probably THE ideal way for someone homeless to get back on their feet IF they live in a big city. The people there don't care if you are homeless or not. All they care about is "can I send you out on a job and not lose the contract?". Show up on time and work hard,and you are golden. They will even hold the good jobs for you if they know you are coming,and those are the jobs that allow a potential employer to judge your attitude and mental state,and to consider you for a full-time job without going through the whole song and dance of filling out applications that are tossed when they see you have been out of work for a while. They already KNOW you have been out of work for a while and have already decided to hire you when they make the offer. No worries about not having a car,not having a telephone,etc,etc,etc. You have already showed up for work there on time several times,sober and wearing clean clothes with a good work attitude,and that is really all they care about.

I ended up with a machine shop job from working Manpower once I got semi-healthy again and could show up for work every day. I was initially hired as day labor to sweep floors,haul trash,and do anything else that needed to be done,but made it known I also knew how to run a milling machine and an engine lathe.

Anyhow,there was a couple that showed up for work at the local Manpower office pretty much every day. Clean clothes,clean body,and no obvious mental problems. Probably in their mid-20's,and renting a room in a boarding house somewhere. Both were well-spoken,seemed healthy,and never showed up drunk or high,so I asked them one day why they didn't just get regular full-time jobs and an actual apartment. They told me they liked the freedom of day labor. They could work every day if they wanted,and then take off for a week to hitch-hike or take a bus to a concert they wanted to go to in another state,and were free to just stay there if they wanted because they took everything they owned with them when they went.

Kind of an ideal lifestyle as long as you are young and healthy,but I told them "It's going to suck all the air out of your universe if you ever get injured or seriously ill because one day you are going to wake up and discover Manpower jobs are your ONLY option,and no longer a choice."

They were genuine hippies,not like the ones you see on tv,so I doubt that anything I said to them made any difference in the way they lived or thought.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 11:54:30 am by sneakypete »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2018, 03:32:53 pm »
@Sanguine

Which removes their incentive to do anything but get high and take a nap.

Exactly.  Think of that - alcoholics getting paid to be alcoholics. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2018, 04:56:24 pm »
Stop taxing production and income. tax consumption instead (less food, medical, and modest housing.)
Lower regulation and licensing bars, and reduce the troubles put upon employers in order to make hiring more attractive.

More than anything, the cost of government has to be cut to a proper level (less than a quarter of what we have now, hopefully a tenth of GNP), and the debt weight on the dollar needs to be paid, so the dollar has value again.

The very government you adore is the garrote upon the neck of Americans.

888high58888

All this, and address the mental health issue.