Author Topic: Fifth Coldest October/November On Record In The US  (Read 10458 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Fifth Coldest October/November On Record In The US
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2018, 01:31:09 pm »
They were fixing the data up until thrn, why would a few news articles that only a handful of inconsequential people remember stop them?  There's a pretty common sense approach to tell whether they are telling the truth. Ask yourself, has their story changed? Is what they are claiming is happening ever changed?  Have any of their prediction come to fruition?

I think it's possible that scientists fudged some numbers in an attempt to get people to believe what they believe. I could see a scientist making an end justifies the means decision like that. I don't think it would continue unopposed though. I also don't think they secretly believe the opposite of what they are telling you.

I've been thinking about it and maybe there's something to what religious types say about science being a religion too. Scientists understand how much bigger than them science really is. No one person will ever understand all of it, or even most of it. The best they can do is try to be aware of how much they don't understand. I have faith in climate scientists.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2018, 01:41:31 pm »
I think it's possible that scientists fudged some numbers in an attempt to get people to believe what they believe. I could see a scientist making an end justifies the means decision like that. I don't think it would continue unopposed though. I also don't think they secretly believe the opposite of what they are telling you.

I've been thinking about it and maybe there's something to what religious types say about science being a religion too. Scientists understand how much bigger than them science really is. No one person will ever understand all of it, or even most of it. The best they can do is try to be aware of how much they don't understand. I have faith in climate scientists.

If what they were telling us is correct they wouldn't need to fudge the numbers.  There is no place in science for data fixing and once that was discovered the whole subject should have been laughed into extinction until they coukd prove without a doubt the information they were presenting was above reproach. But things have been allowed to continue; someone(s) has an agenda and it's not scientific integrity.

If your client discovered you were screwing with data to make things look worse than they are to get them to believe what you wanted them to you would be fired, and perhaps sued.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2018, 01:52:20 pm »
If what they were telling us is correct they wouldn't need to fudge the numbers.  There is no place in science for data fixing and once that was discovered the whole subject should have been laughed into extinction until they coukd prove without a doubt the information they were presenting was above reproach. But things have been allowed to continue; someone(s) has an agenda and it's not scientific integrity.

Sometimes it's not easy to explain why you think you're right to people that lack years of education and experience.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:03:52 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2018, 02:27:47 pm »
Sometimes it's not easy to explain why you think you're right to people that lack years of education and experience.

Easy is beside the point. It does not prove an excuse to embellish data to explain to them.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »
Easy is beside the point.

I think it's relevant, but...

It does not prove an excuse to embellish data to explain to them.

You are correct.
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2018, 03:12:56 pm »

Oh, good.  At least you understand the difficulty we are having in getting through to you.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2018, 07:08:57 pm »
They were fixing the data up until thrn, why would a few news articles that only a handful of inconsequential people remember stop them?  There's a pretty common sense approach to tell whether they are telling the truth. Ask yourself, has their story changed? Is what they are claiming is happening ever changed?  Have any of their prediction come to fruition?

Is the outcome always that we need to give them a lot more money ASAP?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2018, 06:55:43 am »
Well that's a load of manure right there. They have to lie to the people because their truth isn't really true. If what they believed was true, they wouldn't have to lie or make things up. There are always people that believe they know what is best and that others are just to ignorant to understand. In the thirties and forties there was this short little guy in Germany, since the sixties it's the liberals/democrats here in America with things like 'Silent Spring' and The China Syndrome, and who can forget 'It Takes a Village'idiot

Offline DB

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2018, 07:14:07 am »
I got a master's degree in cyber security after doing 4 years in the military in a communications MOS. I get paid to break through security systems so they can be made better. Nothing I do is directly related to climate science. I know quite a lot about computer science.

And you think you do this better on weed?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2018, 03:35:28 pm »
And you think you do this better on weed?

It helps me focus.
-Socrates

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2018, 07:47:16 pm »
Global Warming is causing Global Cooling!
Look, these guys made a bet (because they have no idea) on 'warming'.
Nobody really knows. Now they are just trying to cover their ass.

If it is hot, They are right. If it is cold, They are right. If you take a crap tonight, They are right.
No matter what the hell happens, They are right!

I like to say weather. That really gets the "climate change" people going! 

Good post!   :thumbsup:

Offline thackney

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2018, 12:35:19 pm »
It helps me focus.

It helps you pretend you are focusing.

https://mashable.com/article/does-weed-help-you-focus/#_RxN.3uJXPqI

...While stoners may roll their eyes at the stereotyping, science, it seems, is on the police department's side. Weed impairs our ability to think, organize, and pay attention, studies have shown. And it's not usually associated with productivity and motivation.

Yet, some users feel more focused, even productive, after consuming or smoking weed — even though there's no scientific evidence cannabis acts upon the motivational circuits in our brains....'

...The notion that cannabis can promote productivity or focus on any task, however mundane, is "unlikely," Andrei Derbenev, an associate professor of physiology at Tulane University's School of Medicine, said over email. This has been studied, and consistently shows the opposite effect.

"Actually, most of the research on cannabis and motivation shows no effect, or if anything, reduced motivation," John Salamone, a psychopharmacologist at the University of Connecticut, said over email. The same goes for attention and focus, he noted....

Cannabis use and cognitive dysfunction
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3221171/

...The general impression supported by many studies is that cannabis causes cognitive decline, particularly with long-term usage. Majority of studies have suggested a significant cognitive decline in cannabis abusers compared to non-abusers and healthy controls.[8–10] A report by Bartholomew et al.[11] suggested that cannabis use has a detrimental effect on prospective memory ability in young adults but users may not be aware of these deficits. Cannabis is known to produce substantial acute effects on human cognition and visuomotor skills. Many recent studies additionally revealed rather long-lasting effects on basic oculomotor control, especially after chronic use.[12] Even so, it is still unknown to what extent these deficits play a role in everyday tasks that strongly rely on an efficient saccade system, such as reading.

Cannabis has a negative impact on cognition; however, the current body of research literature does not provide evidence of significant, long-term effects due to cannabis use. Several acute effects are noted and some are suggestive of negative mental health consequences.[13] Evidence from both animal and human studies suggests that the severity of the effects of cannabis use on cognitive development is dependent on the age when cannabis use begins.[14] One possible explanation is that those who begin cannabis use early in adolescence are more likely to become heavily dependent....
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:45:50 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2018, 01:25:22 pm »

https://mashable.com/article/does-weed-help-you-focus/#_RxN.3uJXPqI

Cannabis use and cognitive dysfunction
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3221171/

To be fair, he didn't say what it helped him focus on.  I'm guessing it's getting righteous snack foods from the Hoggly Woggly.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2018, 01:26:13 pm »

No.

The fact is the relationship between ADHD and marijuana use is probably just too varied and personalized to find clearly definable groups who use and who don’t use. At least anecdotally, many patients with ADHD mention its positive impact on focus as part of the draw in using it.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-distracted-couple/201502/adhd-and-weed-what-s-the-draw

It also helps with creative thinking. A lot of people with ADHD prefer treatment with marijuana. Stimulants are very hard on your body.
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2018, 01:30:19 pm »
No.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-distracted-couple/201502/adhd-and-weed-what-s-the-draw

It also helps with creative thinking. A lot of people with ADHD prefer treatment with marijuana. Stimulants are very hard on your body.

There is no bleep way you can eschew the science that Thackney provided for you on this and still claim tbat it's because of the science that you believe the global warming alrmists.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2018, 01:43:11 pm »
There is no bleep way you can eschew the science that Thackney provided for you on this and still claim tbat it's because of the science that you believe the global warming alrmists.

A single professor saying that he thinks it's unlikely that weed can help people focus is not exactly convincing when my experience with it suggests otherwise. It's also very common for people with ADHD to report that it helps them focus. That professor wasn't speaking of people with ADHD, just people that use in general. Weed has helped me with focus and anxiety for 4 or 5 years now. I'm not some junkie. I use it because it helps me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:45:45 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2018, 01:43:56 pm »

Do you have an English degree? If not then you are too stupid to understand the words you are reading. You should just take the word of people who have an education in words and sentences.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2018, 01:46:13 pm »
A single professor saying that he thinks it's unlikely that weed can help people focus is not exactly convincing when my experience with it suggests otherwise. It's also very common for people with ADHD to report that it helps with focus. That professor wasn't speaking of people with ADHD, just people that use in general. It's not even close to the same. Weed has helped me with focus and anxiety for 4 or 5 years now. I'm not some junkie. I use it because it helps me.

Yeah. That is the same line of bullshit all my deadbeat burnout tenants tell me when they explain why bong water spilled on the carpet.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2018, 01:46:23 pm »
A single professor saying that he thinks it's unlikely that weed can help people focus is not exactly convincing when my experience with it suggests otherwise. It's also very common for people with ADHD to report that it helps with focus. That professor wasn't speaking of people with ADHD, just people that use in general. It's not even close to the same. Weed has helped me with focus and anxiety for 4 or 5 years now. I'm not some junkie. I use it because it helps me.

That's what all the junkies say.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #94 on: December 12, 2018, 01:48:34 pm »
That's what all the junkies say.

Are people also junkies for using drugs that are prescribed to them?
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #95 on: December 12, 2018, 01:48:46 pm »
Do you have an English degree? If not then you are too stupid to understand the words you are reading. You should just take the word of people who have an education in words and sentences.

I thought I was averaging out the use of 'eschew' by using bleep right in front of it. But, I do confuse cashew and eschew sometimes, oh and also with that guy that drew the pictures with the bleep up stairs, so I could be wrong on this.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #96 on: December 12, 2018, 01:49:37 pm »

If it's oxy, and they're crushing it up to snort, then yeah, tbey are.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #97 on: December 12, 2018, 01:53:38 pm »

Hell yeah. Doctors are creating junkies because they are lazy....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/08/04/doctors-stop-opioid-crisis-quit-overprescribing-marty-makary-column/504860001/

Offline Dexter

« Reply #98 on: December 12, 2018, 01:54:11 pm »

If it's oxy, and they're crushing it up to snort, then yeah, tbey are.

Smoking pot is not equivalent to snorting opioids. I smoke about half a gram every day. Where I live that's about 5 dollars worth of weed. A lot of people benefit from drugs in various ways.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 01:55:51 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2018, 01:57:05 pm »
Smoking pot is not equivalent to snorting opioids. I smoke about half a gram every day. Where I live that's about 5 dollars worth of weed. A lot of people benefit from drugs in various ways.

We benefit every day from you doing drugs, so that part is true at least.