Author Topic: Latest House results confirm 2018 wasn't a blue wave. It was a blue tsunami.  (Read 783 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Latest House results confirm 2018 wasn't a blue wave. It was a blue tsunami.

Analysis by Harry Enten, CNN

Updated 6:31 PM ET, Thu December 6, 2018

(CNN)The final votes are being counted from the 2018 election. They confirm that the Democrats crushed Republicans.

Let's start in the seat count. Republican Rep. David Valadao of California's 21st District conceded on Thursday to Democrat T.J. Cox.

Cox's victory combined with other election results means that Democrats have picked up a net gain of 40 seats.

As has oft been repeated, this is the largest Democratic House gain since 1974. It's a larger gain than Democrats had in the wave elections of both 1982 and 2006.

We can go back even further and see how unusual it is that Democrats picked up this many seats. If you go back all the way to first election of the post-World War II era (1946), there have only been three elections in which Democrats net gained more seats than they did in 2018. Put another way, this was the fourth best performance for Democrats in the 37 general House elections since President Donald Trump was born.

Another way to judge an election is by how many votes each side wins. Democrats' position in the national House popular vote is now reaching historical proportions.

According to the vote count from the Cook Political Report, Democrats now have a 8.6 point lead. For a party that started in the minority, this is incredibly strong. Minority parties often struggle because even an unpopular majority party is protected partially by the fact that incumbents receive a boost compared to other candidates.

more
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/06/politics/latest-house-vote-blue-wave/index.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Maybe so but they had to cheat to win these seats especially in Ca by ballot harvesting...now I'm afraid other states will adopt this strategy.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline cato potatoe

Ballot harvesting, otherwise known as election fraud to those of us in other states.  They're likely to schedule a new vote in my district because similar tactics were used on a limited scale.  CA is transitioning to third world status.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Stop absentee voting.

Stop using voting machines.

Start making an ID, your actual presence in a voting booth, and a purple thumb mandatory.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline skeeter

It was a slow motion tsunami for sure. Manufacturing votes takes time.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:28:09 pm by skeeter »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Ballot harvesting, otherwise known as election fraud to those of us in other states.  They're likely to schedule a new vote in my district because similar tactics were used on a limited scale.  CA is transitioning to third world status.

Even with the fraud and the retirement of 34 republican house members, the GOP did vastly better than Obama did in his first midterms. 

In 2010, Democrats lost 6 seats in the Senate and 63 seats in the House.

(But let's not tell CNN)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
They were expected to win the house, with about 25-30 seats, giving them a slim majority. They performed a little better than that. It’s a decent body surfing wave, but it’s no Bell’s Beach.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Over and over the author repeats how huge this wave is as related to previous DEMOCRAT House gains.

I wonder if the article happens to mention this is less than 2/3 of what the republicans picked up in 2010.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline skeeter

They were expected to win the house, with about 25-30 seats, giving them a slim majority. They performed a little better than that. It’s a decent body surfing wave, but it’s no Bell’s Beach.

They obviously were hoping this last election would be like a fifty year storm - a once in a lifetime opportunity.

OK, my Point Break reference was a little obscure.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:27:44 pm by skeeter »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Over and over the author repeats how huge this wave is as related to previous DEMOCRAT House gains.

I wonder if the article happens to mention this is less than 2/3 of what the republicans picked up in 2010.

Might be less than what the R's pick up in 2020. Should have a poll. How long before the country is completely sick and tired of Dem ruled House?

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Well, it is CNN.  Would you expect a balanced story from them?

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
It was a slow motion tsunami for sure. Manufacturing votes takes time.

Them trying to figure out how to put in a new ink cartridge in the printer is what takes up the time.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
They threw out boatloads of money, ran as moderates, won by razor thin margins, and picked up alot of seats by last minute shenanigans.

The 40 seat flip that they did manage is mediocre in historical terms, no matter how they want to spin it. The Dems controlled Congress for so long that of course they didn't have big seat gains for those years, as they were already the majority.

That isn't a tsunami.
The Republic is lost.