Author Topic: Tucker Carlson: Trump has not kept his promises  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Mesaclone

Re: Tucker Carlson: Trump has not kept his promises
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 11:53:57 pm »

Maybe he should have done a little study in civics, before he said this.....

Sorry...

Or perhaps YOU should understand context. Trump was saying he was the ONLY presidential candidate on the GOP side who "could fix it". Which was entirely correct. So his "civics" knowledge was fine...whilst your comprehension of his statement was...well...inadequate.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 11:55:32 pm »
I don't care about loyalty to Trump...I care that they are loyal to the conservative agenda. When the GOP president, whoever that President may be, tries to deal a deathblow to Obamacare...I expect every Republican to jump on board.

Well, the good new is, you can expect them to all vote in favor of full repeal again, knowing it won't make it through the House, in the next Congress.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 12:49:00 am »

Well, the good new is, you can expect them to all vote in favor of full repeal again, knowing it won't make it through the House, in the next Congress.

Yes, they're glad to do so when it doesn't matter...which is why the President, and many of us, are so frustrated with the NT crowd in congress (and in the public). The Flake, Sasse, McCain, Murkowski, Collins, NT cabal has done more to gut conservatism than anyone on the Left...they undermine us from within, where we least expect opposition to conservative legislation. It sucks.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 03:30:35 am »

:silly:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 03:47:24 am »
IMHO Trump didn't have a clue when he ran on the campaign promises that he made.  I believe that he thought as being President, he could do all.  Then after he was sworn in he got a very quick lesson in the different function of the 3 branches of government and found out the limitation of the executive branch.

In addition to that the MSM tried to chew him up and spit him out and the McCain's of the party tried and are still trying to take him down.  It's amazing really that he's accomplished what he has in the time that he has all things considered.

People fail to recognize that he is 1 person and we have 535 members of Congress that are responsible for what happens.  Not holding them responsible for their failures is the fault of the voters that voted them in, not Trump's fault.

Are there things that perhaps Trump could have done are could do in the future? Of course.  However there are things that the GOP majority should have done the past 4 years and they FAILED.  We now have a DEM majority in the House.  So ... the GOP will play the blame game once again and accomplish even less.  Ryan is finally gone, but we're back to leadership under Pelosi and the Turtle still leads the Senate.  Does anyone truly believe that anything is going to get any better??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline edpc

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 03:55:05 am »
IMHO Trump didn't have a clue when he ran on the campaign promises that he made.  I believe that he thought as being President, he could do all.  Then after he was sworn in he got a very quick lesson in the different function of the 3 branches of government and found out the limitation of the executive branch.

Remember when Kelly said Trump was uninformed and evolving?

Offline DB

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 04:11:29 am »

In addition to that the MSM tried to chew him up and spit him out and the McCain's of the party tried and are still trying to take him down.  It's amazing really that he's accomplished what he has in the time that he has all things considered.

People fail to recognize that he is 1 person and we have 535 members of Congress that are responsible for what happens.  Not holding them responsible for their failures is the fault of the voters that voted them in, not Trump's fault.

Are there things that perhaps Trump could have done are could do in the future? Of course.  However there are things that the GOP majority should have done the past 4 years and they FAILED.  We now have a DEM majority in the House.  So ... the GOP will play the blame game once again and accomplish even less.  Ryan is finally gone, but we're back to leadership under Pelosi and the Turtle still leads the Senate.  Does anyone truly believe that anything is going to get any better??

In other words Trump simply said whatever it took to make the deal, art of the deal style.

And some foolish people believed him. And instead of facing the truth of it they come up with rationalizations as to why what he promised didn't materialize with none of it being his or their fault.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 05:27:38 am »
I don't care about loyalty to Trump...I care that they are loyal to the conservative agenda. When the GOP president, whoever that President may be, tries to deal a deathblow to Obamacare...I expect every Republican to jump on board. Not sabotage it by changing a vote at the last second. I also expect Republicans not to parrot Leftwing talking points when criticizing the President....again...any GOP President.

I DO expect rational criticism and I DO not expect Republicans to be blindly loyal...but for God's sakes, when your neverending carping and blathering is uplifting the Democratic agenda by undermining a GOP president...ANY freaking GOP President...its best that you not do so. Trump hasn't struggled legislatively because his agenda has been too liberal...he's struggled because Republican Never Trumpers continually undermine his position as he's striving to pass CONSERVATIVE solutions like the Wall, more Defense Spending, tougher Border Patrol enforcement, due process on campus, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
-------------------------------
Conservatism involves enduring principles about human behavior; having absolutely
nothing to do w/political horse manure. NOTHING!
Trump cannot judge character which is why he appoints incompetent subordinates.
Nor can he instill fear in his enemies which is why they urinate on him daily.
Those w/o these attributes, behaviors and traits are NOT leaders. Try getting real!

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 05:43:30 am »
Conservatism involves enduring principles about human behavior; having absolutely
Those w/o these attributes, behaviors and traits are NOT leaders. Try getting real!

Deserves to be reposted.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 07:07:16 am »
In other words Trump simply said whatever it took to make the deal, art of the deal style.

And some foolish people believed him. And instead of facing the truth of it they come up with rationalizations as to why what he promised didn't materialize with none of it being his or their fault.

All of what you say is true.

But then we could say the same about our "Republican" House/Senate.  I can't say trump failed when ryan/mcturtle never even put him in position for us to judge.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline DB

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 08:38:08 am »
All of what you say is true.

But then we could say the same about our "Republican" House/Senate.  I can't say trump failed when ryan/mcturtle never even put him in position for us to judge.

Trump was the one who repeatedly told us he was the only one who could do it because he was the great deal maker. He knew how to get things done due to his extensive business dealings. His followers repeated that over and over as if it were true ignoring all the red flags.

The simple truth is he lied. He had no idea how to effectively deal with people in government that he needed support from. He pissed off nearly everyone he had to work with to make those "deals" and then had the gall to blame everyone but himself.

He also embraced the swamp immediately after being elected when he said just prior to the election he was going to "drain it" and "lock Hillary up". By embracing Ryan and McConnell and letting Hillary walk he is also responsible for what they've done. He had choices and chose incorrectly from day one.

Virtually every single person that Trump chose to work in his administration is "disloyal, dumb and lazy" after they have a falling out with him. And his followers pile on with rage and hate towards his latest casualty.  Why would anyone be willing to take those positions after what they see him do over and over.

Never mind the obvious common denominator to it all. The man responsible for it. He gets a pass.

In reality the buck stops with him whether he wants to accept that or not.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 08:47:27 am »
President's can't legislate...that's congress job.

You are correct, but then again, why should Trump make campaign promises he cannot keep?

And lets not forget about the second part of his campaign promise: make Mexico pay for the wall.

Offline DB

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 08:50:50 am »
You are correct, but then again, why should Trump make campaign promises he cannot keep?

And lets not forget about the second part of his campaign promise: make Mexico pay for the wall.

Whatever it takes to get their vote. Results are secondary.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 09:04:40 am »
Trump was the one who repeatedly told us he was the only one who could do it because he was the great deal maker. He knew how to get things done due to his extensive business dealings. His followers repeated that over and over as if it were true ignoring all the red flags.

The simple truth is he lied. He had no idea how to effectively deal with people in government that he needed support from. He pissed off nearly everyone he had to work with to make those "deals" and then had the gall to blame everyone but himself.

He also embraced the swamp immediately after being elected when he said just prior to the election he was going to "drain it" and "lock Hillary up". By embracing Ryan and McConnell and letting Hillary walk he is also responsible for what they've done. He had choices and chose incorrectly from day one.

Virtually every single person that Trump chose to work in his administration is "disloyal, dumb and lazy" after they have a falling out with him. And his followers pile on with rage and hate towards his latest casualty.  Why would anyone be willing to take those positions after what they see him do over and over.

Never mind the obvious common denominator to it all. The man responsible for it. He gets a pass.

Exactly right, and it deserves to be repeated.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 12:32:50 pm »
Trump might have been able to fulfill his campaign promises had he not taken an adversarial tone with members of his own party from the onset.  Calling them all "swamp creatures" and such did not endear him to the congress-people he needed to get things done.   Yes, I have heard the same tired excuse over and over again that the president cannot legislate.  But as president, Trump should have had more influence with congress to accomplish what both he and the Republicans in congress said they wanted to do.  If they supposedly wanted the same things, why could they not work together for those goals?

When the Democrats wanted to push through Obamacare, they got it done.  Although I doubt Obama had any influence in shaping the legislation, he did work to promote it.  Seemed to me like the Democrats got together and did what they had to do. 

But the Republicans and Trump have never shown that same commitment, that same spirit of cooperation and working together.  Yes, the Republicans in congress are at fault -- they are lazy and corrupt.  But Trump as the supposed boss of a wealthy empire, could have used his alleged bossing and art-of-the-deal skills to bring them all together and get it done.  He didn't do that.  Instead, Trump spent much of the last two years on his rock star tour of the US whining, complaining and continuing to make promises he either couldn't or wouldn't keep. 

As a result, what do we have -- out of all the major promises, we have "tax reform" that is really little more than tax tweaking.  Maybe some businesses and individuals got some benefit from it -- and by the way, I'm not jealous of those who did benefit -- but for most people, it did nothing and for some it may have caused their taxes to rise.  But we still have Obamacare,we still have hordes of illegals and so-called "refugees" invading our country, we sill have an unfair tax system, we still fund Planned Parenthood, and our government is still spending money it doesn't have.

And now that the Democrats have taken over the House, you cam be sure nothing will be done within the next two years.  About the only change will be that Trump will have a different scapegoat to blame for his failings -- the Democrats.  It's too bad.  Had Trump and congressional Republicans put their heads together, they might have accomplished a lot in two years.  Instead, it was two years wasted on petty squabbles and Trump's rock star tour.  Both Trump and the Republicans share the blame.  And its time Trump's starry eyed fans realize that.

Offline edpc

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2018, 12:45:18 pm »
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:45:56 pm by edpc »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2018, 05:53:03 pm »

Everyone has ideals...Left and Right.

How you get those ideals enacted into legislation is the "political horse manure" you refer to. Only a naive fool or an ideologue thinks "their enduring principles" magically become law simply because YOU think they are right. Politics is the ugly Modus Operandi and and those too stupid or too noble to master that M.O are doomed to failure...i.e. the NeverTrump Republican/Conservatives.

As for his enemies fearing him...they fear the hell out of him, and they loathe him because he is the ONLY thing between them and Liberal Utopia. They are glad to use the "useful idiots" on the conservative side of the aisle to undermine that one obstacle to their supremacy...and sadly, too many of the Right's useful idiots are content to be used as long as they can righteously claim they are "holding to enduring principles".

News for you, your enduring "principles" are no more closely held to than those of us who support the GOP President...we, however, are also realists and understand that reason, calculation and even compromise MUST be implemented to advance those principles. Your principles of no use to anyone if you are exiled to political Siberia because you were too arrogant and shortsighted to cope with "political horse manure".
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 05:54:24 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2018, 06:28:49 pm »

I could never have dreamed that I would be arguing with people about a President that fills his cabinet with liberals and complains about them later.  I can't believe that a Republican president would choose liberal lawyers and have his liberal family working for him.  And almost every person he hires he sends through his revolving door eventually.  We have spent two years defending President Trump from his own friends and appointments.  That is why nothing has been done.  And to think that people can defend Trump tweets like the one he sent about Kelly the other day where he calls him lazy and dumb.  He is only calling him lazy and dumb because he is the next witness in the "witch hunt".  Trump isn't innocent of anything and that is the reason why we can't move on.  He doesn't have anyone he can really trust.  So no matter whether Hillary or any other politician has done the same or not doesn't change that we are stuck in Russia investigation hell. 

Trump excused and even honored Hillary now he wants to change course.  I was liking the images of Hillary in the orange prison jumpsuit.  Then immediately on Inauguration day he is saying how honored he is to have Hillary present.  Then he says to media she has suffered enough.  Now he wants to change course?

How about the president get something done with immigration.  The thousands who have come in caravans are now making it in to the United States but all that is on FOX New is Russia Investigation and the people Trump is sending to his revolving door.  Never before has illegal immigration been at these levels.  You can thank Trump and rhetoric without action.

What Republican President hires liberals and trashes his own party?

Trump is a slime bucket that said he is going to drain the swamp.  You can't drain the swamp when you are the swamp.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 06:38:19 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2018, 06:44:41 pm »
Trump might have been able to fulfill his campaign promises had he not taken an adversarial tone with members of his own party from the onset.  Calling them all "swamp creatures" and such did not endear him to the congress-people he needed to get things done.   Yes, I have heard the same tired excuse over and over again that the president cannot legislate.  But as president, Trump should have had more influence with congress to accomplish what both he and the Republicans in congress said they wanted to do.  If they supposedly wanted the same things, why could they not work together for those goals?

When the Democrats wanted to push through Obamacare, they got it done.  Although I doubt Obama had any influence in shaping the legislation, he did work to promote it.  Seemed to me like the Democrats got together and did what they had to do. 

But the Republicans and Trump have never shown that same commitment, that same spirit of cooperation and working together.  Yes, the Republicans in congress are at fault -- they are lazy and corrupt.  But Trump as the supposed boss of a wealthy empire, could have used his alleged bossing and art-of-the-deal skills to bring them all together and get it done.  He didn't do that.  Instead, Trump spent much of the last two years on his rock star tour of the US whining, complaining and continuing to make promises he either couldn't or wouldn't keep. 

As a result, what do we have -- out of all the major promises, we have "tax reform" that is really little more than tax tweaking.  Maybe some businesses and individuals got some benefit from it -- and by the way, I'm not jealous of those who did benefit -- but for most people, it did nothing and for some it may have caused their taxes to rise.  But we still have Obamacare,we still have hordes of illegals and so-called "refugees" invading our country, we sill have an unfair tax system, we still fund Planned Parenthood, and our government is still spending money it doesn't have.

And now that the Democrats have taken over the House, you cam be sure nothing will be done within the next two years.  About the only change will be that Trump will have a different scapegoat to blame for his failings -- the Democrats.  It's too bad.  Had Trump and congressional Republicans put their heads together, they might have accomplished a lot in two years.  Instead, it was two years wasted on petty squabbles and Trump's rock star tour.  Both Trump and the Republicans share the blame.  And its time Trump's starry eyed fans realize that.

:thumbsup:  Agree with everything you said whole heartedly.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2018, 08:44:18 pm »
News for you, your enduring "principles" are no more closely held to than those of us who support the GOP President...we, however, are also realists and understand that reason, calculation and even compromise MUST be implemented to advance those principles. Your principles of no use to anyone if you are exiled to political Siberia because you were too arrogant and shortsighted to cope with "political horse manure".

That is literally impossible and incompatible. Your outlook is at the expense of those very principles... EVERY TIME.

That is not 'winning'.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2018, 09:18:09 pm »
Everyone has ideals...Left and Right.

How you get those ideals enacted into legislation is the "political horse manure" you refer to. Only a naive fool or an ideologue thinks "their enduring principles" magically become law simply because YOU think they are right. Politics is the ugly Modus Operandi and and those too stupid or too noble to master that M.O are doomed to failure...i.e. the NeverTrump Republican/Conservatives.

As for his enemies fearing him...they fear the hell out of him, and they loathe him because he is the ONLY thing between them and Liberal Utopia. They are glad to use the "useful idiots" on the conservative side of the aisle to undermine that one obstacle to their supremacy...and sadly, too many of the Right's useful idiots are content to be used as long as they can righteously claim they are "holding to enduring principles".

-----------------------------------------
TBF is an opinion site where I expressed mine.
Obviously contrary ideas/opinions send you into an illiterate rage. How sad.
The self taught Greeks, who created Western Civilization, understood that enduring
principles were the foundation of culture/society but you know better.
Perhaps you've heard of Jefferson, Madison and Adams??? Hmm......maybe not.
As for your republicrat weenies; they never had anything to do w/conservative
principle, NOT for a day!
The wisdom of the past asserted that:
* Character is destiny;
* It's far better the Prince be feared rather than loved.
   but our self-described 'stable genius' remains utterly oblivious.
Hysterically laughable!!!
P.S. The wisdom of Greece and Rome is in the library. It's the stone building w/the books inside!!!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:29:42 am by Absalom »