Author Topic: Ocasio-Cortez Is Borrowing from the Trump Playbook... by Jonah Goldberg  (Read 567 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ocasio-Cortez Is Borrowing from the Trump Playbook
Jonah Goldberg

Posted: Dec 07, 2018 12:01 AM

One of the most comforting talking points in politics is to claim that your political opponents are irrationally obsessed. I'm sure this is as old as time, but I first noticed it in the late 1990s. Many of Bill Clinton's most ardent supporters responded to every new criticism by claiming the president's enemies were twisted by hate for the man. During the George W. Bush administration, thanks in part to a phrase coined by my late friend Charles Krauthammer, conservatives deflected criticism of the president by claiming his foes suffered from "Bush derangement syndrome."

The term caught on, and Obama supporters hurled charges of "Obama derangement syndrome" (along with charges of "racism" -- a secular term for a kind of derangement) at Obama's opposition. Today, it's not hard to find people claiming that Donald Trump's adversaries are obsessed, deranged, or conspiracy-obsessed witch hunters. A search of Twitter finds an infinitely long stream of references to "Trump derangement syndrome."

Now, here's the thing: Sometimes it's true. Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump all had -- and have -- their haters. And some people do lose their bearings and immediately leap to the most outlandish interpretation of the facts (or rumors disguised as facts). The paranoid style is a bipartisan phenomenon in American life.

more
https://townhall.com/columnists/jonahgoldberg/2018/12/07/ocasiocortez-is-borrowing-from-the-trump-playbook-n2537114
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Re: Ocasio-Cortez Is Borrowing from the Trump Playbook... by Jonah Goldberg
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 04:01:45 pm »
No, she's borrowing from Marx and Stalin.
Principles matter. Words matter.