Author Topic: With five USS Arizona crewmembers remaining, it’s ‘twilight’ for Pearl Harbor survivors  (Read 341 times)

rangerrebew

With five USS Arizona crewmembers remaining, it’s ‘twilight’ for Pearl Harbor survivors

By WILLIAM COLE  Published: December 4, 2018

HONOLULU (Tribune News Service) — It’s extra noteworthy that Everett Hyland, who was aboard the USS Pennsylvania during Japan’s Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, will return the salute of a passing Navy warship at Friday’s anniversary of the attack.

Hyland, 95, will do so on behalf of all Pearl Harbor survivors and World War II veterans as the ship sails by the sunken USS Arizona.

That salute will be extra poignant because there are fewer and fewer survivors to render it themselves.

https://www.stripes.com/news/veterans/with-five-uss-arizona-crewmembers-remaining-it-s-twilight-for-pearl-harbor-survivors-1.559207

Offline skeeter

Arizona will still be bleeding fuel oil long after the last of these wonderful guys are gone.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:12:23 pm by skeeter »

Online Polly Ticks

God Bless Mr. Hyland. (Side note - I wonder why his rank was never mentioned in the article?  It feels disrespectful to call him "Mr.", but I don't have any other info.)   

I really hate that the memorial is still closed for the anniversary ceremony, since it's certain that at least some of those 40 servicemen attending this year will not be around for next year's event.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra