Author Topic: Stocks slide after Trump warns China: 'I am a Tariff Man'  (Read 2214 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stocks slide after Trump warns China: 'I am a Tariff Man'
« on: December 04, 2018, 09:21:17 pm »
Stocks slide after Trump warns China: 'I am a Tariff Man'
By Jordan Fabian - 12/04/18 10:14 AM EST

Stocks fell dramatically on Tuesday after President Trump on Tuesday declared himself a “Tariff Man,” stressing he will not hesitate to raise tariffs on China if it does not agree to fundamentally change its trade practices.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed down nearly 800 points and the Standard & Poor's 500 index dropped more than 3 percent on the day, a sharply negative turn one day after markets were jolted by news that Trump reached a trade ceasefire with Chinese President Xi Jinping.

“Investors are spooked by President’s Trump handling of the trade war with China,” Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, wrote in an email. “Despite the arrangement Trump and Xi agreed to last week in Argentina, they are nervous that the negotiations will go off the rails and the trade war will escalate.”

Zandi cited higher interest rates, lower corporate earnings growth and too-high valuations as other factors driving Wall Street fears.

“It is hard to see the bull market resuming as long as the president continues to pursue his trade war,” he added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/419613-trump-warns-china-i-am-a-tariff-man
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Stocks slide after Trump warns China: 'I am a Tariff Man'
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:21:54 pm »
Dow down 799
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:24:28 pm »
Nice one sided story from our Commie pals at Hill. What they seem to leave off is last night the dirty lying Chinamen started backing away from the truce set in place this weekend. They are trying to do everything they can to keep the current system in place that lets them steal all out ideas without any repercussions. Screw that.

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 10:01:07 pm »
Tariffs are often a weapon of mass destruction with unforeseen consequences for those tempted to use them. Once the other side retaliates the impulse is to retaliate back in a growing vortex of economic destruction. If you are going to do it, you have to keep it small and targeted to something very specific and not be driven by emotion to retaliate back when the inevitable happens. It is best not to play the game in the first place. Kind of like nuclear war...

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 10:21:03 pm »
Sung to the tune of "Soul Man" by Sam and Dave, and the Blues Brothers.
Available on K-Tel records now.....

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:29:52 pm »
Way to Go Donnie!   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 10:34:43 pm »
Tariffs are often a weapon of mass destruction with unforeseen consequences for those tempted to use them. Once the other side retaliates the impulse is to retaliate back in a growing vortex of economic destruction. If you are going to do it, you have to keep it small and targeted to something very specific and not be driven by emotion to retaliate back when the inevitable happens. It is best not to play the game in the first place. Kind of like nuclear war...

Who gives a shit. The Chinamen have been robbing us blind for decades but people like you don't care if they become a super power and destroy us. As long as you get your cheap shit at Walmart you are happy.

Online DB

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 10:57:24 pm »
Who gives a shit. The Chinamen have been robbing us blind for decades but people like you don't care if they become a super power and destroy us. As long as you get your cheap shit at Walmart you are happy.

Robbing?

Last I checked we willingly bought their crap.

I don't want to feed the Chinese beast. But tariffs aren't the answer unless you can get the rest of the non-Chinese world to do the same. Otherwise we're just damaging ourselves shrinking our share of the world market. Funny how the trade deficit went up when we added tariffs... That's because the products we export got more expensive in the rest of the world making us less competitive. While you try to save one industry you damage many others.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 11:05:26 pm »
Robbing?

Last I checked we willingly bought their crap.

I don't want to feed the Chinese beast. But tariffs aren't the answer unless you can get the rest of the non-Chinese world to do the same. Otherwise we're just damaging ourselves shrinking our share of the world market. Funny how the trade deficit went up when we added tariffs... That's because the products we export got more expensive in the rest of the world making us less competitive. While you try to save one industry you damage many others.

They are robbing us. They take our cars and electronics and anything else they want and copy it and sell it as their own. Just ask anyone in the tech business who has to deal with the effing yellow creeps undercutting them with their own proprietary concepts.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 11:10:49 pm »
   It doesn't seem that long ago that the GOP believed in and preached Free Market Capitalism.
   Tariffs are a Tax on the Consumer and nothing more.  Wish Trump would listen to Kudlow more.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online DB

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 11:12:33 pm »
They are robbing us. They take our cars and electronics and anything else they want and copy it and sell it as their own. Just ask anyone in the tech business who has to deal with the effing yellow creeps undercutting them with their own proprietary concepts.

They've done that for a long time. If they won't honor intellectual property they should be cut off from the world markets entirely. Selective tariffs won't put a dent in it. We put electronic hardware locks/keys in our products that get shipped overseas to make it difficult to replicate our designs.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 11:13:26 pm by DB »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 11:23:27 pm »
I have no problem with a policy that discourages greedy corporations from getting rich off a relationship with an authoritarian regime that intends to take our money & eventually bury us with it.

China isn’t the only place that’ll make cheap sh*t for us.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 11:35:00 pm »
   It doesn't seem that long ago that the GOP believed in and preached Free Market Capitalism.
   Tariffs are a Tax on the Consumer and nothing more.  Wish Trump would listen to Kudlow more.

Kudlow?   That hack economist.  Please corbe you have to better than that.  Isn't there a Nixonian economist you could leg hump.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 11:38:19 pm »
I'm a tariff man, is that a schoolhouse rock song I missed?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 11:43:03 pm »
I think the tariffs are just a threat. The Chinese will make some concessions.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 12:19:54 am »
I'm a tariff man, is that a schoolhouse rock song I missed?

No, a super hero. Tariff man, tariff man, goes wherever a tariff can.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 12:40:14 am »
No, a super hero. Tariff man, tariff man, goes wherever a tariff can.

Who is the man that would risk his neck for his brother, man?  Tariff man.
Can ya dig it?

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 06:33:28 pm »
The worst part, as demonstrated in his latest tweet, he does not possess the most basic understanding of tariff ramifications.

“When people or countries come in to raid the great wealth of our Nation, I want them to pay for the privilege of doing so....”

He does not get that the tariff is ultimately paid by the American consumer.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 06:34:18 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 06:41:11 pm »
The worst part, as demonstrated in his latest tweet, he does not possess the most basic understanding of tariff ramifications.

“When people or countries come in to raid the great wealth of our Nation, I want them to pay for the privilege of doing so....”

He does not get that the tariff is ultimately paid by the American consumer.

But...but...but...Trump is a graduate of the Wharton School.