Author Topic: El Norte - Full Movie, 1983  (Read 8786 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
El Norte - Full Movie, 1983
« on: December 03, 2018, 07:55:34 pm »
El Norte - Full Movie, 1983

The movie is at youtube, one might just go and websearch "El Norte movie" or even "El Norte 1983 Divx"  there. For some reason, the one here stopped working... but the movie is there and has been for 4 years.

Roger Ebert:
Directed by  Gregory Nava
Produced by  Anna Thomas

141 minutes
  |  Roger Ebert

August 1, 2004   | 

At the dawn of the U.S. independent film movement, two of its founders made what Variety called its first epic. "El Norte" told the story of a Guatemalan brother and sister who fled persecution at home and journeyed north the length of Mexico with a dream of finding a new home in the United States. They were illegal aliens, but then as now, the California economy could not function without their invisible presence as cheap labor. "El Norte" (1983) tells their story with astonishing visual beauty, with unashamed melodrama, with anger leavened by hope. It is a "Grapes of Wrath" for our time.

The movie was directed by Gregory Nava, produced by Anna Thomas, and co-written by both of them. They were later to make "My Family" (1995), which traces three generations of a Mexican-American family in Los Angeles, and Nava is currently the executive producer and supervising director of the "American Family" series on PBS, about an extended Latino family in Los Angeles. But I met Nava and Thomas much earlier, in 1976 at the Chicago Film Festival with their first film, "The Confessions of Amans." It cost $24,000 and won the prize as best first feature.

That was before Sundance, before IFC, before Miramax. They were the co-founders of the Independent Feature Project, which today holds the Independent Spirit Awards in a vast tent on the beach at Santa Monica, Calif. When they founded the IFP, everyone at the meeting would fit comfortably into their living room. And when they made "El Norte," no film like it had been attempted.

Read more at: https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/great-movie-el-norte-1983

About as close to the real thing one will see in a movie regarding the 1980s scene of immigration, it's more of an independent production, not Hollywood and not that political.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:03:09 pm by TomSea »

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: El Norte - Full Movie, 1983
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:17:25 pm »
Ah this movie looks like some long winded boring shit Tommy. You want something good from 1983 look no further than this masterpiece staring Linda Blair.....

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 08:23:28 pm »
To be considered a top notch WiP movie it must have these enduring qualities

Let's see how it compares to the 10-point WiP checklist.

- Mandatory naked shower scene.
- Lesbian assistant warden.
- Revealing bra-less prison uniforms.
- Racial tension among prisoners.
- Rival inmates chained together.
- Jail break during prison transfer.
- Girl fight with bouncing boobs.
- Electric torture of a naked girl.
- Attempted rape by dumb yokels.
- Plenty of gunfire and explosions.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 08:30:11 pm »
To be considered a top notch WiP movie it must have these enduring qualities

Let's see how it compares to the 10-point WiP checklist.

- Mandatory naked shower scene.
- Lesbian assistant warden.
- Revealing bra-less prison uniforms.
- Racial tension among prisoners.
- Rival inmates chained together.
- Jail break during prison transfer.
- Girl fight with bouncing boobs.
- Electric torture of a naked girl.
- Attempted rape by dumb yokels.
- Plenty of gunfire and explosions.

Why you've just described the plot to the Pam Grier documentary Black Mama, White Mama from 1973...

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 08:33:05 pm »
Why you've just described the plot to the Pam Grier documentary Black Mama, White Mama from 1973...

Why yes...yes I did!

Pam Grier.  Yummy.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 06:26:19 pm »
Movie removed, they must have violated a copy wright or something. I'm sure it is to be found somewhere free to watch. Great movie.

Sometimes, I wonder if linking up to a movie sets off some "button" where Youtube has traffic and sees what happened. I think it is very well possible. So, sometimes, I'm not sure if it is always smart to post, maybe from here on, I will say "it's at youtube", I watched some movie and because someone from Romania or something posted it, one was able to watch the whole movie. It's as if that avoids the watchdogs on these.

"El Norte" was an independent film that PBS showed. So, it should not be hard to track down. I'm done though, with posting full length movies because I think that tips off youtube to take them down. They monitor traffic or something.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:48:00 pm by TomSea »