Author Topic: If We Don’t Cut Debt And Spending, The U.S. Is Poised For Another Financial Crisis  (Read 1162 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

On May 1, 1981, a three-month Treasury paid 16.3 percent. For the whole of 1981, 2.5 percent of the gross domestic product went to pay just the interest on the federal debt. In 1981, the total money supply was equal to 69 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP).

Too many dollars chasing too few goods resulted in inflation of 8.92 percent in 1981. That was considered a sufficient economic emergency for the Federal Reserve to deliberately force the economy into a recession in order to combat the greater threat of inflation.

Today, the three-month Treasury pays a sleep-inducing 2.25 percent and inflation seems to be in a long-term band of between 1.5 and 2.5 percent. But it is starting to trend up a little, and the Fed has begun to very cautiously raise interest rates just a little at a time. If that seems like deja vu, it might remind you of the late 1970s.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/12/03/the-u-s-is-poised-for-another-huge-financial-crisis-if-we-dont-cut-debt-and-spending/
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Not if but when.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

There are two ways to do this, one is voluntary and the other involuntary.

In almost all cases, it is better to choose the voluntary approach.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline LMAO

There are two ways to do this, one is voluntary and the other involuntary.

In almost all cases, it is better to choose the voluntary approach.

Agree

But I have a hunch it’ll be involuntary.  And even that expect a fight . Look what happened during the southern European debt crisis
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I've said it before, I'll say it again:

Those who want to fix the "debt crisis" don't have the power to do it.
Those who DO "have the power to fix it" will NEVER do it, until they are left with no other choice.
Until that time, it will not and cannot be "fixed".

The debt situation is like a train without brakes running down the mountain.
Nothing can stop it, until it wrecks and "stops itself".
Then, and ONLY THEN, can the wreckage be cleared up, and the track restored.

So folks.... relax and enjoy the ride.
Stop worrying or complaining about the debt (see reasons why above).
It is what it is.
And it can't be fixed... until "the crash".