Author Topic: OC Southwest gate agent mocks 5-year-old girl's name, posts boarding pass on social media  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Veronica Miracle
ABC7 KABC
November 28, 2018

A Southwest Airlines gate agent at John Wayne Airport is accused of being awful in front of a five-year old girl - and on social media - because of her unique name.

The girl's mother says the agent made fun of the name and even posted a photo of her boarding pass on social media for others to chime in.

Five-year-old Abcde Redford pronounces her name "ab-city."

More

Well, the employee was stupid. But should she be fired and/or should the offended party be financially compensated?: My answer
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:21:51 pm by Machiavelli »

Oceander

The gate agent should be fired or demoted and seriously disciplined. 

Then someone should take that poor child’s parents out behind the woodshed and slap them something silly for being so gratuitously mean to their child. 

One wonders if the next child will be named fghij and how that would be pronounced.

Reminds me of an acquaintance I had many, many years ago whose family surname was Appel (pronounced in English as if the last two letters were reversed) and whose parents, in a fit of 1960s lunacy, had given my acquaintance’s older sister the given name of Candy. 

Offline RoosGirl

Anyone that names their kid something like that is crying for attention.  This time the attention just was negative so they're unhappy.  Oh well.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I read in one of the stories about this there are a half dozen girls with the name.

@Oceander, I agree.  Agent sacked, and mom beaten (doesn't appear to be a man around?).  Giving a child a name like this is drop-dead stupid.  First rule for naming a baby:  Don't use one that will cause the child to be teased his/her whole life.  If your last name is "Budd," never name a girl "Rose."

Johnny Cash's A Boy Named Sue was a freakin joke, not advice.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@Cyber Liberty

I like Johnny Cash but I really dislike that song.

When I’m working on Election Day I do see some strange names, I just use the surname if I can’t pronounce the first name. I don’t like my first name either. I wish I could change it but I’ve learned to live with it. My middle name is worse.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline musiclady

Anyone that names their kid something like that is crying for attention.  This time the attention just was negative so they're unhappy.  Oh well.

I agree.

I know people who named their kids "Always" and "Forever" because of their last name.  Even substitute teachers giggled when they read their names for attendance.

I always considered it a mild form of child abuse because when they got married, their last name changed and their first names just got worse.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
In the book “Freakonomics” the authors tell the story of the mom who named her sons Lemon Jello and Orange Jello.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I agree.

I know people who named their kids "Always" and "Forever" because of their last name.  Even substitute teachers giggled when they read their names for attendance.

I always considered it a mild form of child abuse because when they got married, their last name changed and their first names just got worse.

This is why some people petition to change their names the day they turn 18.  I have a Nephew who changed his name at 18.  His father is an Indian Muslim and he had the first name "Mohamed" (never went by it).  He just had it deleted.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

This is why some people petition to change their names the day they turn 18.  I have a Nephew who changed his name at 18.  His father is an Indian Muslim and he had the first name "Mohamed" (never went by it).  He just had it deleted.

One of the girls I know officially changed her name to her middle name when she turned 18.

I guess she didn't want to be laughed at any more.

Stupid, stupid parents.......  **nononono*

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

I like Johnny Cash but I really dislike that song.

When I’m working on Election Day I do see some strange names, I just use the surname if I can’t pronounce the first name. I don’t like my first name either. I wish I could change it but I’ve learned to live with it. My middle name is worse.
For the record, Mrs. Liberty and I like your first name... :whistle:
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

In the book “Freakonomics” the authors tell the story of the mom who named her sons Lemon Jello and Orange Jello.
Yes, and then there are the children named Syphilis (pronounced Suh-PHIL-is) and gonorrhea (Gon-OR-ee-ah).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Yes, and then there are the children named Syphilis (pronounced Suh-PHIL-is) and gonorrhea (Gon-OR-ee-ah).

And the Dovers who named their son, Ben and their daughter, Eileen....... 

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
The most popular girls names of 2018 were

Sophia, Sarah, Paisley, and Charlie

Boys
Jackson, Caden, Daniel, and Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

Boys
Trendy! No offense to anyone with these names in their family, but the whole Caden/Jayden/Braden/etc. motif (which seems very popular around here) doesn't appeal to me, an authentic fuddy-duddy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Boys

Paisley?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
With 7 billion people craving attention, you gotta do what you gotta do.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

Many years ago, when my daughter was little, there were two kids on the playground with awful names (they were siblings).  The boy was named Seven - as in the number - and the girl was named Natural.  Most likely the boy will eventually go by “Sven” because that’s easy enough; I suppose the girl might end up going by “Nat” or “Natalie”.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Boys
My son and his wife named their first daughter Marigold and the second Violet, we were quite thankful they didn't pick weird names. When I hear the names of some of the kids on my grandson's baseball team I have to restrain my laughter, but apparently the weirdness is common enough that the other kids don't make fun of them. Hell I got a lot more grief just having a very common Hungarian name.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Many years ago, when my daughter was little, there were two kids on the playground with awful names (they were siblings).  The boy was named Seven - as in the number - and the girl was named Natural.  Most likely the boy will eventually go by “Sven” because that’s easy enough; I suppose the girl might end up going by “Nat” or “Natalie”.

Seven of nine was hot!

Ummm. I’m a Trekkie, and I’ve been told this.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
My son and his wife named their first daughter Marigold and the second Violet, we were quite thankful they didn't pick weird names. When I hear the names of some of the kids on my grandson's baseball team I have to restrain my laughter, but apparently the weirdness is common enough that the other kids don't make fun of them. Hell I got a lot more grief just having a very common Hungarian name.

Those girls sound like Hyacinth Bucket’s sisters  :beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
What kind of fool gives their child a idiot name like that,and then gets  upset when someone point out how stupid and trendy it is?

The child is innocent,but the mother and father deserve to have the snot beaten out of them for making sure their daughter is seen as a airhead for the rest of her life.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The gate agent should be fired or demoted and seriously disciplined. 

Then someone should take that poor child’s parents out behind the woodshed and slap them something silly for being so gratuitously mean to their child. 

One wonders if the next child will be named fghij and how that would be pronounced.

@Oceander

Or maybe fugitaboutit?

Fugit for short?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
To me Charlie is a perfume

@Freya

It's kinda Wow, kinda Now...
I will NOT comply.