Author Topic: Extreme heat increasing in both summer and winter  (Read 9030 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Extreme heat increasing in both summer and winter
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 04:27:29 am »
I was fortunate enough to get enough rain to get some erosion around one side of my new slab that exposed the bottom of the footer and the rebar that is hanging out the bottom of it instead of up in the concrete like it's supposed to be.

9999hair out0000

I'm sure the neighbor won't mind. 

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2018, 04:28:15 am »
Why do you want to blow up the slab?

Does there have to be a reason?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2018, 04:28:55 am »
Have you thought about using a light charge of TNT and blowing the rebar up into the concrete? Problem solved.

No, but I kinda like that idea. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2018, 04:31:18 am »
9999hair out0000

I'm sure the neighbor won't mind.

It might actually improve the property to the west.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2018, 04:31:52 am »
Been wanting a 410 pump; good enough reason to go buy one.

@RoosGirl

Good gun, buy it.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2018, 04:32:55 am »
No, but I kinda like that idea.

The key is to give it a light explosion into the concrete. Too big an explosion and it will pop through the top of the concrete and become a tripping hazard.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2018, 04:32:58 am »

Does there have to be a reason?

Good point.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2018, 04:34:30 am »
@RoosGirl

Good gun, buy it.

I never get to go shooting anymore.  I still have a 28 over under Beretta that I haven't had the stock modified on to fit me.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2018, 04:35:41 am »
The key is to give it a light explosion into the concrete. Too big an explosion and it will pop through the top of the concrete and become a tripping hazard.

I think you and I watched the same cartoons.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2018, 04:39:23 am »

Scary isn't it?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2018, 04:43:29 am »

Fritz the Cat?

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2018, 07:01:09 am »
Whew, lot of interpolating and extrapolating in that statement.  Unfortunately, you seem to be lacking not only data to back up your conclusion, but logical thought processes.

Goodnight, Dexter.
LOL! I love how the goalposts moved from understanding Relativity to  teaching a course on it at Columbia University.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2018, 07:03:16 am »
I was fortunate enough to get enough rain to get some erosion around one side of my new slab that exposed the bottom of the footer and the rebar that is hanging out the bottom of it instead of up in the concrete like it's supposed to be.
It is only a problem when the rebar starts rusting. The oxidation sheath will increase the volume of the rebar to the point where it fractures the concrete.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2018, 07:11:56 am »
It is only a problem when the rebar starts rusting. The oxidation sheath will increase the volume of the rebar to the point where it fractures the concrete.

@RoosGirl

Madam. This is some very important information for you to have at your disposal.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2018, 12:37:45 pm »
LOL! I love how the goalposts moved from understanding Relativity to  teaching a course on it at Columbia University.

A similar level of expertise is necessary to understand climate data like the scientists do. The point is a good brain and some common sense can't bridge a gap between you and somebody that went to college for 8 or more years and then practiced what they learned for decades. Not to mention those nerds are brilliant.

How many of you have been to an Ivy League campus? Being a smart person means nothing. There are people so incredibly brilliant that it actually bothers me. Those are the kinds of people you're scoffing at. Those are the kinds of people you think aren't analyzing this stuff correctly. We have no choice but to believe in the absolute most brilliant minds among us. Anything else would be crazy. There is not a worldwide conspiracy in science.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:45:54 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2018, 12:55:31 pm »

It also doesn't provide the increased strength to the concrete that was inrended. But, given that I'm in Florida where our average annual rainfall is around 50 inches, I'm going to say my rebar is going to rust sooner rather than later.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2018, 01:19:08 pm »
A similar level of expertise is necessary to understand climate data like the scientists do. The point is a good brain and some common sense can't bridge a gap between you and somebody that went to college for 8 or more years and then practiced what they learned for decades. Not to mention those nerds are brilliant.

How many of you have been to an Ivy League campus? Being a smart person means nothing. There are people so incredibly brilliant that it actually bothers me. Those are the kinds of people you're scoffing at. Those are the kinds of people you think aren't analyzing this stuff correctly. We have no choice but to believe in the absolute most brilliant minds among us. Anything else would be crazy. There is not a worldwide conspiracy in science.

It's not even as complicated as needing to understand the science and mathematics of it. Some of the locations of the thermometers are in glaring error, for example one was found at an airport where it was routinely exposed to jet wash. Another was in area of outdoor a/c equipment for a building. Etc.  Even a child understands the error this introduces.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2018, 01:20:46 pm »
It's not even as complicated as needing to understand the science and mathematics of it.

It REALLY is.
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2018, 01:32:26 pm »
It REALLY is.

Oh, you don't understand that using temperatures from areas that are artificial high makes a difference to the results? 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2018, 01:36:08 pm »
I thought I saw some on the UM sidelines last Saturday...

:beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2018, 01:36:18 pm »
Oh, you don't understand that using temperatures from areas that are artificial high makes a difference to the results?

Climate scientists the world over have compiled their collective data and 97% have come to the conclusion that human emissions are impacting the climate.
-Socrates

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2018, 01:43:19 pm »
Climate scientists the world over have compiled their collective data and 97% have **been paid to** come to the conclusion that human emissions are impacting the climate.

HTH

Unless they can scientifically quantify the amount of the impact, it is Fake News. It could be .001%

Meanwhile, we had an exceptionally cool summer here in 2018
Countdown to Resignation

Oceander

« Reply #73 on: November 29, 2018, 01:48:10 pm »

Intelligence is not the same as wisdom or good judgment, and scientific acumen does not automatically result in good, or even reasonable, political views.

History is littered with the fatal consequences of intelligent people who gave in to their baser sides.  Herman goering had a genius level IQ; I don’t think it was wise to have put much stock in his opinions, though. 

Furthermore, “consensus” is a loosey-goosey word that can mean different things to different people.  It’s like the phrase “fair share” - everyone agrees that people should contribute their fair share, but they disagree violently on what that term actually means. 

Offline musiclady

« Reply #74 on: November 29, 2018, 01:48:25 pm »
Climate scientists the world over have compiled their collective data and 97% have come to the conclusion that human emissions are impacting the climate.

@Sanguine is an educated scientist, you are not, and yet you exerted a great deal of effort basically calling her stupid because she doesn’t believe conclusions based on faulty data.

You really ARE a masochist, aren’t you??  :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.