Author Topic: Oil Prices: This Exec's Outlook Says This Downturn Will Be Short Lived  (Read 1763 times)

Offline thackney

Oil Prices: This Exec's Outlook Says This Downturn Will Be Short Lived
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/11/25/oil-prices-this-execs-outlook-says-this-downturn-w.aspx

The recent decline in oil prices can be pretty much summed up thusly: that escalated quickly. More than a year of steadily increasing oil prices has been wiped out in a matter of weeks as the concerns about sanctions on Iranian oil exports were more or less all for naught and U.S. production growth continues to surpass even the most ambitious expectations.

For those investors who have been anticipating rising crude prices, this recent setback might have some wondering if a return to $100, $90, or even $80 per barrel of oil simply isn't in the cards. If you ask Schlumberger (NYSE:SLB) CEO Paal Kibsgaard, though, this dip in prices may only be a deviation on a longer-term trend. Here's what Kibsgaard had to say about oil prices on Schlumberger's most recent conference call, some of the data that supports his point, and what could throw off this prediction.

It's a big world out there

Schlumberger's quarterly conference call is must-read material for any energy investor. As the world's largest oil and gas equipment and services provider, it has relationships with hundreds of oil producers ranging from the behemoth national oil companies like Saudi Aramco to the small operators in the American shale patch. Having relationships with all of these producers and knowing how they plan to spend money over the next several years gives Schlumberger a unique view on where the wind is blowing in this industry.

The recent decline in oil prices has largely been attributed to American oil production growing much faster than anyone anticipated. According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, U.S. production increased 1.5 million barrels per day (mmbpd) in the past year and now is around 11.3 mmbpd, the highest oil production on record. Shale oil's ability to turn on the tap so quickly led to production blowing past expectations.

In Kibsgaard's prepared remarks for the call, though, he was quick to point out that global oil production is determined by a myriad of factors outside the U.S. and that those factors remain intact right now....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Oil Prices: This Exec's Outlook Says This Downturn Will Be Short Lived
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 01:53:01 pm »
Where I see this analysis breaking down is the opinion that new supplies are required in new projects to replace the worldwide decline, in existing fields of 5% per year.  Shale production declines over most of its life at lesser decline than that due to its very low permeability.  In other words, the more the world depends upon shale, the less decline will be present, hence the need to develop fewer supplies.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 02:13:16 pm »
Where I see this analysis breaking down is the opinion that new supplies are required in new projects to replace the worldwide decline, in existing fields of 5% per year.  Shale production declines over most of its life at lesser decline than that due to its very low permeability.  In other words, the more the world depends upon shale, the less decline will be present, hence the need to develop fewer supplies.

No, it isn't working that way.  You get the effect of chasing the red queen.  You have decline rates stacked upon decline rates.  Each year takes more oil just to keep the production rate constant, let alone handle growth.

The higher initial flow rates are coupled with a higher amount of oil rate decline in the following years.

Top U.S. Shale Oil Fields Decline Rate Reaches New Record…. Half Million Barrels Per Day
https://srsroccoreport.com/top-u-s-shale-oil-fields-decline-rate-reaches-new-record-half-million-barrels-per-day/
JULY 25, 2018

While the U.S. reached a new record of 11 million barrels of oil production per day last week, the top five shale oil fields also suffered the highest monthly decline rate ever.  This is bad news for the U.S. shale industry as it must produce more and more oil each month, to keep oil production from falling.

According to the newest EIA Drilling Productivity Report, the top five U.S. Shale Oil fields monthly oil decline rate is set to surpass a half million barrels per day in August.  Thus, the companies will have to produce at last 500,000 barrels of new oil next month just to keep production flat....

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:14:55 pm by thackney »

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:33:10 pm »
No, it isn't working that way.  You get the effect of chasing the red queen.  You have decline rates stacked upon decline rates.  Each year takes more oil just to keep the production rate constant, let alone handle growth.

The higher initial flow rates are coupled with a higher amount of oil rate decline in the following years.

Top U.S. Shale Oil Fields Decline Rate Reaches New Record…. Half Million Barrels Per Day
https://srsroccoreport.com/top-u-s-shale-oil-fields-decline-rate-reaches-new-record-half-million-barrels-per-day/
JULY 25, 2018

While the U.S. reached a new record of 11 million barrels of oil production per day last week, the top five shale oil fields also suffered the highest monthly decline rate ever.  This is bad news for the U.S. shale industry as it must produce more and more oil each month, to keep oil production from falling.

According to the newest EIA Drilling Productivity Report, the top five U.S. Shale Oil fields monthly oil decline rate is set to surpass a half million barrels per day in August.  Thus, the companies will have to produce at last 500,000 barrels of new oil next month just to keep production flat....

I have certainly worked my entire life understanding decline rates and reserves, as well as the type of rock and reservoir fluids which cause them over the life of a well and fields.

In shale wells, the big initial declines are caused by the rapid production of the fractures, whereas the later production declines are caused by the low permeability of the formation.

Past the initial few years of the life of a shale well, there is very low decline, precipitated by the very low amount of movement into the wellbore from low permeability of the rock.  This causes the majority of production during the life of a shale well to be at very low declines.

If the world had, to take the extreme case, 100% of its production coming from shale oil production, then the decline rates are correspondingly very low, hence the need for more production to replace is more modest.  Adding to production is more challenging for shale.

I know it is tough to understand, but the long lives of shale wells can be a solid contribution of the base production that has a lot of value.  The risk of continued exploration of risky ventures to find new production in new traps is diminished when one can fallback on this low decline established by shale wells.

Maybe another way to think of it is the relatively constant 100 year life of a coal mine corresponding to the low decline rates of the bulk of the life of a shale well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 02:56:16 pm »
I have certainly worked my entire life understanding decline rates and reserves, as well as the type of rock and reservoir fluids which cause them over the life of a well and fields.

In shale wells, the big initial declines are caused by the rapid production of the fractures, whereas the later production declines are caused by the low permeability of the formation.

Past the initial few years of the life of a shale well, there is very low decline, precipitated by the very low amount of movement into the wellbore from low permeability of the rock.  This causes the majority of production during the life of a shale well to be at very low declines.

If the world had, to take the extreme case, 100% of its production coming from shale oil production, then the decline rates are correspondingly very low, hence the need for more production to replace is more modest.  Adding to production is more challenging for shale.

I know it is tough to understand, but the long lives of shale wells can be a solid contribution of the base production that has a lot of value.  The risk of continued exploration of risky ventures to find new production in new traps is diminished when one can fallback on this low decline established by shale wells.

Maybe another way to think of it is the relatively constant 100 year life of a coal mine corresponding to the low decline rates of the bulk of the life of a shale well.

Are you claiming the data is wrong?  They track the production of the wells based upon when they are drilled and what they produce each month.  It is consistent across the different plays and all the plays taken together.

Each year, the stacked declines result in a steeper decline of the whole.  Each year it takes more oil produced by the new wells to stay even, even more to grow.

Marcellus (PA) – update through September 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/11/22/marcellus-pa-update-through-september-2018/

North Dakota – update through September 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/11/20/north-dakota-update-through-september-2018/

US - update through July 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/11/12/us-update-through-july-2018/

Eagle Ford - update through July 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/11/05/eagle-ford-update-through-july-2018/

Permian – update through July 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/10/29/permian-update-through-july-2018/

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 03:10:11 pm »
Are you claiming the data is wrong?  They track the production of the wells based upon when they are drilled and what they produce each month.  It is consistent across the different plays and all the plays taken together.

Each year, the stacked declines result in a steeper decline of the whole.  Each year it takes more oil produced by the new wells to stay even, even more to grow.

Marcellus (PA) – update through September 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/11/22/marcellus-pa-update-through-september-2018/

North Dakota – update through September 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/11/20/north-dakota-update-through-september-2018/

US - update through July 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/11/12/us-update-through-july-2018/

Eagle Ford - update through July 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/11/05/eagle-ford-update-through-july-2018/

Permian – update through July 2018
https://shaleprofile.com/2018/10/29/permian-update-through-july-2018/
You are confusing existing production with new production being brought online.

Just think of no new production being drilled or brought online.  That is the underlying base decline I am referring to.

It is less than the underlying base decline of existing worldwide production.

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 03:53:35 pm »
You are confusing existing production with new production being brought online.

No I am not.

Just think of no new production being drilled or brought online.  That is the underlying base decline I am referring to.

As I am as well.  Look at the charts where each new year of production

It is less than the underlying base decline of existing worldwide production.

The decline rate for the shale is steeper than the rest of the existing worldwide production.

You appear to be ignoring that each year, the "base" or existing well's production is made up of declines stacked upon more declines.

Look at the chart.  Each year the cumulative decline rate gets steeper.  It is just math, not an opinion.

Offline thackney

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 04:04:46 pm »
Does this help?

Look at the decline of the production that exists in 2012, then one year later, ignoring the new wells.

Now look at the decline of the production that exists in 2014, then one year later, ignoring the new wells.

Each year, the declines of the existing production get larger and larger. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:07:33 pm by thackney »

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 06:38:02 pm »
Does this help?

Look at the decline of the production that exists in 2012, then one year later, ignoring the new wells.

Now look at the decline of the production that exists in 2014, then one year later, ignoring the new wells.

Each year, the declines of the existing production get larger and larger.
Once again, you are stacking up a particular year's production decline with declines from a previous year performance decline.  That only exacerbates the distortion of a base decline.  Taking your example of 2014 wells drilled, the decline you show between 2014 and 2015 is the decline for those 2014 wells, plus the decline between 2014 and 2015 for wells drilled during 2013, plus the decline between 2014 and 2015 of wells drilled during 2012, etc.

One has to examine this chart first well beyond the first year, second on the yearly basis performance of a particular year and third using a logarithmic Y axis. No one in the oil reserves forecasting business uses simple cartesian plotting.

Lastly, reserves are calculated via looking at each individual well performance metrics, and everything being shown is a compilation of new and older wells.

The best way to comprehend things is to take your 2012 performance and look to see the little decline which occurred between 2017 and 2018.

Shale wells invariably have extremely long lives, perhaps 50 years so the declines in the last half of the well's life is very low.

Does any single shale well during the latter part of its life contribute much production?  No, but we are talking about decline rates, not absolute production.  The more shale wells are in the base production of the world, the less decline in the base will be present

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 06:52:05 pm »
One other thing here:  with the advent of more technology to add more fractures in the formation, initial flow rates increase substantially as these fractures are the contributing factor in early production performance; however, the matrix rock has not changed at all.  So this causes spectacularly higher and higher initial rates to occur(and higher initial decline rates) although the ability of the rock at later years to contribute much production will remain low due to intrinsic poor formation permeability.

The dynamic of a fluid of known composition and density in a rock of known permeability dictates the physical ability of this production, and physics will not allow any other alternative to occur.

The newer technology has allowed the economic model for companies in drilling shale wells to have a capital payout of most wells to occur during the initial flow period of 1 to 3 years, whereas the profit for the oil company will be made thereafter.

It will be a good annuity to have and supports the continued capital to drill more and better wells.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:53:45 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 06:57:04 pm »
Once again, you are stacking up a particular year's production decline with declines from a previous year performance decline.

EXACTLY!  That is real world total production.  The more dependent we are on tight oil, the more oil that has to be found each year to replace declining production.  It just becomes worse and worse.  It is not going to keep growing forever.

Notice how quickly US total oil production started to fall when the prices fall a few years back when the drilling just slowed down, not stopping.

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 07:04:42 pm »
EXACTLY!  That is real world total production.  The more dependent we are on tight oil, the more oil that has to be found each year to replace declining production.  It just becomes worse and worse.  It is not going to keep growing forever.

Notice how quickly US total oil production started to fall when the prices fall a few years back when the drilling just slowed down, not stopping.
'The more dependent we are on tight oil' is not saying the same thing as a decline rate, which was my initial point.

If 100% of the oil in the US was tight oil, the decline rate would be very low.  Tight oil will not easily increase production, but having it in the base retains the abilities to have a well-established base upon which to increase via other means.

The only real caveat I have is that in its later life, shale well morphs into a look-alike of stripper wells, which means the opex will dictate their continues production or cessation.

Offline thackney

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 07:31:52 pm »
God Bless you.  Math can be hard.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 06:38:42 am »

That low decline rate (what I consider the second phase of production, after the steep initial decline) provides the base production, more dependent on the number of producing wells (and their IP) than much else.
But initial production (the first phase, unloading fractures, with steep decline) is what spikes production. While the aged wells will be fairly steady, the new wells will decline fairly rapidly to 10-20% of IP, and that wedge in the production graph will need new completions to replace it until the number of aged wells has risen and produce to that level.

There will be a peak, only replaced by new production. How severely that decline affects the overall picture depends not just on the formation, but the number of new wells being brought on line. As the number of new wells drops, the overall production figures will decline, then stabilize on a flatter curve. If there are a lot of new wells (relative to existing 'aged' producers), the field decline (overall production) will appear more severe.

If you go through the years (graph at the link) selecting every third or fourth year, and unselecting the intervening years of first production, the wedge effect on the graph will be apparent, with each new run of wells causing a spike with subsequent decline in production and then leveling off. That happens for every new well, but is easier to see the effect visually if the years of initial production selected are roughly three years apart, because it takes roughly that long for production from any given well to stabilize. That ongoing (mature) production forms the base production for the asset in question. In successful wells, the 'wedge' from IP to stabilization pays off the well and even provides profit. That initial decline wedge is what must be replaced to maintain peak production levels, but to keep up with the peak, you are chasing your tail.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:54:03 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis