Author Topic: Incoming Mexican government disputes report of tentative deal with US on asylum-seekers  (Read 2149 times)

Offline libertybele

...hmm... seems that there is a discrepancy as to what is being reported!  Stats show that asylum applications are backlogged for the past several years totaling over 300,000.

Incoming Mexican government disputes report of tentative deal with US on asylum-seekers

Reports on Saturday said the Trump administration had struck a tentative deal with Mexico’s incoming government to require all asylum-seekers from south of the border to wait in Mexico while their asylum claims go through court.

But by early evening, the picture grew more complex, as the incoming Mexican government said there was "no agreement of any sort."

The Washington Post, citing Mexican officials and senior members of president-elect Andrés Manuel López Obrador’s transition team, reported early Saturday that the Remain in Mexico plan would require asylum applicants to stay in Mexico, therefore ending the “catch-and-release” practice whereby those seeking asylum are allowed to stay in the U.S. while their claims are being processed. This is one of several options the Trump administration has been pursuing in negotiations for months...........

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/incoming-mexican-government-disputes-report-of-tentative-deal-with-u-s-on-asylum-seekers
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
Too good to be true, I knew it was too simple and clean
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Well they are in Mexico so they better start deporting them now.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

Too good to be true, I knew it was too simple and clean

It's really hard to decipher what's truly going on with that situation as there are conflicting reports.  Chicago Tribune is reporting that its a done deal...reported 4 hours ago...and various different FOX affiliates are saying its a done deal...others are saying no.  So what to believe?

Prior to this first reports stated that Trump agreed to allow the UN to place asylum seekers in the U.S. then later reports say he then said no.

Then there were reports of placing military on the border and the later reports said most of those military would be processing applications and most would not be armed.  Then reports came out that Trump said even a rock thrown would be cause for our military to act.  So again, what to believe?

IMHO I think it's a disaster just waiting to happen and Trump is doing what he can to stop it ...meanwhile a liberal judge has ruled against him...so here we sit.

Meanwhile, I find it interesting that Hillary has stated that Europe needs to get a grip on migration.

I think how this issue resolves will define his Presidency.  Our sovereignty is on the line and he knows it.   No wall as well and we sure aren't going to get one with a DEM Congress.  Not going to happen.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Well they are in Mexico so they better start deporting them now.

Deporting? How and who will do the deporting??  Reports are that even the Mexican people don't want them.  From my understanding the UN is watching over and is telling the US that they must consider applications for asylum.  They right now are being detained in Mexico temporarily.  Since many don't want to stay in Mexico they have refused Mexico's help and want asylum here. My understanding is that Trump signed stricter asylum laws and a judge basically told him that he couldn't.  So, Trump is fighting a battle on 3 fronts; the UN, the US liberal judge and the Mexican government.  It would really help if the U.S. would stand behind their President!!

Offline Chosen Daughter

Deporting? How and who will do the deporting??  Reports are that even the Mexican people don't want them.  From my understanding the UN is watching over and is telling the US that they must consider applications for asylum.  They right now are being detained in Mexico temporarily.  Since many don't want to stay in Mexico they have refused Mexico's help and want asylum here. My understanding is that Trump signed stricter asylum laws and a judge basically told him that he couldn't.  So, Trump is fighting a battle on 3 fronts; the UN, the US liberal judge and the Mexican government.  It would really help if the U.S. would stand behind their President!!

I said deport and I mean it.  Mexico needs to deport they allowed them into their country.  If they can't handle the burden of illegal immigrants they can deport them.
It would really help if Trump stood on his word.  He has a habit of going into full reverse while in drive.  Your post above this one shows that we are getting a variety of information.  I bet that is because it isn't written in stone.  Probably Trump being indecisive.  I will eat my words if he stands strong.  If he bows to the UN I will chock it up the New York liberal politics.  We are a sovereign nation it is time we flex our sovereign muscle.  With nearly 10,000 at the door we can't afford to agree to asylum.  This is an invasion.  Trump needs to protect Americans from invasion.

Did you hear the Tijuana Mayor.  He didn't want his tax payers to pay for the migrants.  I wish our government cared enough for its citizens to do the same.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:40:02 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

I said deport and I mean it.  Mexico needs to deport they allowed them into their country.  If they can't handle the burden of illegal immigrants they can deport them.
It would really help if Trump stood on his word.  He has a habit of going into full reverse while in drive.  Your post above this one shows that we are getting a variety of information.  I bet that is because it isn't written in stone.  Probably Trump being indecisive.  I will eat my words if he stands strong.  If he bows to the UN I will chock it up the New York liberal politics.  We are a sovereign nation it is time we flex our sovereign muscle.  With nearly 10,000 at the door we can't afford to agree to asylum.  This is an invasion.  Trump needs to protect Americans from invasion.

Did you hear the Tijuana Mayor.  He didn't want his tax payers to pay for the migrants.  I wish our government cared enough for its citizens to do the same.

He already bowed to the UN.  There is no disputing that. The Tijuana Mayor can give lip service all day long, the truth of the matter is the illegals don't want to stay in that hell hole; they want asylum in the U.S. 

The illegals are supposed to cross over today.  We will know exactly where Trump stands and we will know exactly if we will remain a sovereign nation.

"...The marchers are expected to head out from the stadium, where many have been staying, and attempt to cross the border in a major test for both U.S. border authorities and Mexican officials. On Saturday, the first episode of caravan-related violence directed at U.S. authorities was reported by U.S. Border Patrol in Arizona, as a 31-year-old Honduran man who apparently split off from the caravan threw rocks at agents and a helicopter after setting a tree on fire....."

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:59:23 pm by libertybele »

Offline Chosen Daughter

He already bowed to the UN.  There is no disputing that. The Tijuana Mayor can give lip service all day long, the truth of the matter is the illegals don't want to stay in that hell hole; they want asylum in the U.S. 

The illegals are supposed to cross over today.  We will know exactly where Trump stands and we will know exactly if we will remain a sovereign nation.

"...The marchers are expected to head out from the stadium, where many have been staying, and attempt to cross the border in a major test for both U.S. border authorities and Mexican officials. On Saturday, the first episode of caravan-related violence directed at U.S. authorities was reported by U.S. Border Patrol in Arizona, as a 31-year-old Honduran man who apparently split off from the caravan threw rocks at agents and a helicopter after setting a tree on fire....."

Yes we are going to see how this is handled.  I don't think that a refugee treaty takes precedence over the United States Constitution.  In this case as I have said numerous times Trump has the Constitutional authority to protect all states from invasion.

Offline libertybele

Yes we are going to see how this is handled.  I don't think that a refugee treaty takes precedence over the United States Constitution.  In this case as I have said numerous times Trump has the Constitutional authority to protect all states from invasion.

Yes he has the Constitutional authority but the U.S. also has had an agreement since 1951 regarding refugees with the UN.

They are here!!!!  The US did close its borders but re-opened them several hours later.

We shall see.  This is President Trump's true test on what side of illegal immigration he is on. 

Oceander

Interesting question.  A ratified treaty has the same weight as federal law.  A treaty definitely cannot expand the government’s power under the Constitution - ie, if Congress cannot do it under the Constitution, it cannot do it under a treaty - but a treaty can probably limit what Congress or the President could otherwise do under the Constitution, but the limitation would probably have to be explicit and would be read narrowly by a court. 

Offline libertybele

Interesting question.  A ratified treaty has the same weight as federal law.  A treaty definitely cannot expand the government’s power under the Constitution - ie, if Congress cannot do it under the Constitution, it cannot do it under a treaty - but a treaty can probably limit what Congress or the President could otherwise do under the Constitution, but the limitation would probably have to be explicit and would be read narrowly by a court.

In order for there to be an actual 'treaty', it must be ratified by Congress; I assuming since this came about in 1951 that it has been.  However, there is NO governing body that can enforce the treaty and most importantly the UN does NOT have the authority to enforce it. 

A treaty (and correct me if I'm wrong here) does not become part of the Constitution, therefore, Trump not adhering to this treaty is not in direct violation of the Constitution but rather in violation of U.N. law. IMHO -- the UN can pack sand.  What good have they been to the US?  The UN and other countries benefit handsomely from the US and now... angry caravan mobs rushing our borders is our reward?  B.S.!!

I agree with @Chosen Daughter  - Trump has the authority as Commander in Chief to protect our border and to protect its citizens; in fact he took an oath to do so.  All these liberal bleeding hearts can pack sand as well.

President Trump needs to use the full weight of his authority and the U.S. military on this.  If he doesn't, well, that speaks volumes, now doesn't it?  Granted he's in a tough spot, but its either them or us.  Letting them in certainly won't make America great again; quite the opposite.

Oceander

In order for there to be an actual 'treaty', it must be ratified by Congress; I assuming since this came about in 1951 that it has been.  However, there is NO governing body that can enforce the treaty and most importantly the UN does NOT have the authority to enforce it. 

A treaty (and correct me if I'm wrong here) does not become part of the Constitution, therefore, Trump not adhering to this treaty is not in direct violation of the Constitution but rather in violation of U.N. law. IMHO -- the UN can pack sand.  What good have they been to the US?  The UN and other countries benefit handsomely from the US and now... angry caravan mobs rushing our borders is our reward?  B.S.!!

I agree with @Chosen Daughter  - Trump has the authority as Commander in Chief to protect our border and to protect its citizens; in fact he took an oath to do so.  All these liberal bleeding hearts can pack sand as well.

President Trump needs to use the full weight of his authority and the U.S. military on this.  If he doesn't, well, that speaks volumes, now doesn't it?  Granted he's in a tough spot, but its either them or us.  Letting them in certainly won't make America great again; quite the opposite.

Slow down there.  This is a discussion, not a duel at 50 paces. 

If a treaty has been duly ratified, then it is the law, coequal with statute and can bind the federal government to not do something it might otherwise have been able to do. That is certainly the point of most treaties:  to bind the parties thereto in order to prevent them from doing something they might otherwise do. 

Treaties, however, are only coequal with statutes, and can be overridden under the later in time principle.

Also, if a treaty has been ratified, and has not been overridden by a subsequent statute or treaty, then the president cannot simply ignore the treaty and do what he wants (assuming the Constitution otherwise would permit the action).   A ratified treaty is part of the law and the Constitution requires the president to adhere to all of the law, which would include treaties. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:51:06 am by Oceander »

Offline Chosen Daughter

As Frank says "I agree"!!  And I will be praying he does just that.  If they get in now it sets a precedence to all the future caravans.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:37:08 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline libertybele

Slow down there.  This is a discussion, not a duel at 50 paces. 

If a treaty has been duly ratified, then it is the law, coequal with statute and can bind the federal government to not do something it might otherwise have been able to do. That is certainly the point of most treaties:  to bind the parties thereto in order to prevent them from doing something they might otherwise do. 

Treaties, however, are only coequal with statutes, and can be overridden under the later in time principle.

Also, if a treaty has been ratified, and has not been overridden by a subsequent statute or treaty, then the president cannot simply ignore the treaty and do what he wants (assuming the Constitution otherwise would permit the action).   A ratified treaty is part of the law and the Constitution requires the president to adhere to all of the law, which would include treaties.

I disagree .  The Constitution specifically states that "The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several Stateswhen called into the actual Service of the United States....

Yes, you are correct, that 'treaties' in essence become aw but they do  NOT become part of the Constitution.  Therefore, the President must honor his oath of office according to the Constitution which is specified in Article II, Section One, Clause 8, of the United States Constitution.

—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

So, the question is which comes first, President Trump's obligation to the people of the United States or his obligation to the UN?  I think that's a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:21:05 am by libertybele »

Oceander

I disagree .  The Constitution specifically states that "The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;...\

Yes, you are correct, that 'treaties' in essence become aw but they do  NOT become part of the Constitution.  Therefore, the President must honor his oath of office according to the Constitution which is specified in Article II, Section One, Clause 8, of the United States Constitution.

No, treaties are part of the supreme law of the land, not just in effect but in actuality.  Article VI:

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land;

That means that the President must act in accordance with ratified treaties. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:17:29 am by Oceander »

Offline libertybele

No, treaties are part of the supreme law of the land, not just in effect but in actuality.  Article VI:

That means that the President must act in accordance with ratified treaties.

They may be law, but they indeed are NOT actually part of the Constitution -- in this case it is UN law, which has no authority to enforce this treaty. 

Oceander

They may be law, but they indeed are NOT actually part of the Constitution -- in this case it is UN law, which has no authority to enforce this treaty. 

No.  A binding treaty will override the Constitution if that is the necessary effect of the treaty's Language.  If that effect is no longer desired, then the US can either renegotiate the treaty or it can withdraw from the treaty, but until then, the treaty would control. 

Thus, if the US signs, and ratifies, a treaty in which the US promises that it will not do something that it is otherwise entitled to do, that promise is binding.  Since a treaty is frequently made to benefit certain third parties, any one of those people would notmally have standing to enforce the treaty. 

A simple example would be the income tax treaties the US has with many other countries.  Under the 16th Amendment, Congress has the power to tax income from whatever source derived. However, in its tax treaties, the US has given up that power in certain ways.  For example, if a treaty resident operates a business in the US, the US cannot tax the income from that business unless the income is attributable to a permanent establishment. 

If the US nonetheless tries to tax income over which it has given up its taxing power, the individual being taxed can sue the US government to have the assessment abated and any collected tax refunded.

One thing to look out for in many treaties is whether enabling legislation is required.  Some treaties, like the tax treaties, are self-executing, in the sense that the treaty is operative once ratified, without the need for legislation to put it into effect.  Other treaties require enabling legislation, and until that is passed the treaty generally has no real effect. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

The treaty defines refugee.  Refugee is not established because these people came as an invading force.  They are not refugee's.  Wanting a better job does not make you a refugee.  Some may fear violence at home but we have MS-13 here also.  People in gang neighborhoods right here face the same.  Car jacking, drive byes, gang murder.  We have some very bad neighborhoods with gangs from that region.  We don't need to invite more.   No war, no established discrimination based on religion.  The fact that they have come as an invading force (up to 10,000) gives President Trump the Constitutional authority to protect against invasion.

Furthermore there is no body that enforces that treaty.

Noncompliance[edit]

Although the Convention is "legally binding" there is no body that monitors compliance. The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has supervisory responsibilities, but cannot enforce the Convention, and there is no formal mechanism for individuals to file complaints. The Convention specifies that complaints should be referred to the International Court of Justice.[15] It appears that no nation has ever done this.

An individual may lodge a complaint with the UN Human Rights Committee under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, or with the UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights under the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, but no one has ever done so in regard to violations of the Convention. Nations may levy international sanctions against violators, but no nation has ever done this.

At present, the only real consequences of violation are 1) public shaming in the press, and 2) verbal condemnation of the violator by the UN and by other nations. To date these have not proven to be significant deterrents.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convention_Relating_to_the_Status_of_Refugees

I am sorry that they thought they could come all of this way and invade our country but they can't.

Offline Chosen Daughter

refugee's because of gang violence?  More likely than not more MS-13 are traveling in that caravan. 

Some 33,000 violent street gangs, motorcycle gangs, and prison gangs are criminally active in the U.S. today. Many are sophisticated and well organized; all use violence to control neighborhoods and boost their illegal money-making activities, which include robbery, drug and gun trafficking, prostitution and human trafficking, and fraud. Many gang members continue to commit crimes even after being sent to jail.

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/violent-crime/gangs

Pepito tells about MS-13 in the Caravan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6320371/Ex-member-MS-13-says-Trump-RIGHT-knows-nearly-dozen-gangsters-hiding-caravan.html

For more than 10 years, ICE's Operation Community Shield has targeted transnational criminal organizations and criminal aliens involved in street gangs. One of the most notorious of these is MS-13, which was originally formed in Los Angeles by illegal alien thugs from El Salvador, but now operates across the United States and across international borders.
•Over a 10-year period (2005-2014) ICE arrested approximately 4,000 MS-13 members, leaders, and associates. This represents about 13 percent of all gang members they arrested nationwide (31,000) during that period.
•92 percent of the MS-13 affiliated aliens arrested were illegal aliens. Of those, 16 percent had entered illegally at least twice.
•Just over half of the MS-13 affiliated aliens ICE arrested were citizens of El Salvador. Among the others, 16 percent were Hondurans, 14 percent were Mexicans, and 8 percent were Guatemalans.
•While MS-13 affiliated aliens made up 13 percent of all the arrests, they accounted for 35 percent of the murderers arrested by ICE.

https://cis.org/Fact-Sheet/Fact-Sheet-MS13-Arrests-ICE-20052014

Really diminishes the idea that illegal aliens in a caravan do not include violent criminals.  Nullifies refugee status because they would not be escaping it by coming to America.  They already brought their violent gangs with them here.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:02:19 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline libertybele

refugee's because of gang violence?  More likely than not more MS-13 are traveling in that caravan. 

Really diminishes the idea that illegal aliens in a caravan do not include violent criminals.  Nullifies refugee status because they would not be escaping it by coming to America.  They already brought their violent gangs with them here.

Unfortunately, the thugs that you are referring to aren't here to apply for refugee status, but are here to cross over anyway that they can and blend in on the streets.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Thank you @libertybele for recognizing the reality of Trump's problem.

It's kinda weird how some people want Trump to have absolute power when it comes to their favorite issue but want to bottle him up about other things.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Thank you @libertybele for recognizing the reality of Trump's problem.

It's kinda weird how some people want Trump to have absolute power when it comes to their favorite issue but want to bottle him up about other things.

U.S. Constitution
Article 4 Section 4

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

Oh, oh, my favorite thingy!  Darn right it is the biggest issue.  Maybe you believe you are safe from MS-13 but you are not.  I know most of your illegal immigrants are Japanese or Filipino.  But guess what in Maui they are arresting MS-13 that are coming from the Main Land. 

I hope you meet up with one of these great guys soon.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/4649769/mainland-gangs-making-their-way-to-hawaii/

Maybe you might be concerned when these guys make Hawaii their home.

Emjays thing

« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 03:25:32 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
U.S. Constitution
Article 4 Section 4

"The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence."

Oh, oh, my favorite thingy!  Darn right it is the biggest issue.  Maybe you believe you are safe from MS-13 but you are not.  I know most of your illegal immigrants are Japanese or Filipino.  But guess what in Maui they are arresting MS-13 that are coming from the Main Land. 

I hope you meet up with one of these great guys soon.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/4649769/mainland-gangs-making-their-way-to-hawaii/

Maybe you might be concerned when these guys make Hawaii their home.

Emjays thing

Thank you so much for caring about me @Chosen Daughter , but I got this.  Maybe you should think before you post 40 times a day.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Chosen Daughter

Thank you so much for caring about me @Chosen Daughter , but I got this.  Maybe you should think before you post 40 times a day.

What are you talking about I was thinking about my thing.  So while I thought about my thing I thought about yours also.  Since you are so displeased my thing is illegal immigration it was clear it isn't your thing.

Those bad hombre's want to own the beach Emjay.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 05:49:35 am by Chosen Daughter »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
8 U.S. Code § 1182

(f) Suspension of entry or imposition of restrictions by President

Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or of any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests of the United States, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem to be appropriate.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1182
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis