Author Topic: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits  (Read 30332 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2018, 11:41:29 pm »
Been there done that... I am just buying them little packets from the store - I don't keep none over a year anyway (part of the Passover thing is to rid your house of all yeast and risen bread)... Whatever is left in the house gets burned on the Day of Preparation...

I was wondering about something like that, like if you bought a new jar when she was in town and then...

Years back I could not get anything to rise.  Went out and bought a new jar, still nothing.  What finally worked was when I bought yeast somewhere else.  If you're buying from the same store, maybe they got a bad batch?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2018, 11:51:50 pm »
@roamer  Could it be you keep the place warmer for company, like your Sis?

Well, no, but sorta - Wood smoke messes with her, so I tend to be on the gas if she is coming over to stay a while... but if anything, that means that the temp is more regulated than it is 'warmer'.

I don't know that you have been around wood fires much, but when you first stoke it up, it can get insufferably hot - Enough so that you have to open the house's doors and let some of it out... when you get it turned down it's super comfy for an our or three, and then you are getting a bit cool... And then it starts all over again... So it isn't that I am keeping it cool exactly - I would say the temp is more varied using wood, and more moderated (and probably cooler over all) using gas.

(Thought of something else.  I used to make bread every Sunday for the pup and me, and I used flour made for bread.  High in Gluten content.)

She made it with all purpose flour, right outta my bins, and it turned out great... And I mean to use all purpose for stocking purposes... I only stock one kind, and don;t want to play nursemaid to more in the pantry.  :shrug:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #227 on: December 24, 2018, 11:54:22 pm »
I buy 2# at a time at Sam's, a pack of two 1# packages.  The one I open goes in the fridge, the other in the pantry.  Works fine for years.

Thanks. I keep mine under the porch in a sealed mason jar. (I keep it in the fridge like my mom told me to)  I'll give it a look if the boss renewed our cards. If I still have a job. After the eye doc looked me over last he gave me a note to take last week off. I had the wife take a pic of the note and bill and sent that to the boss. They didn't do a concussion test/ check on me. When I tried to walk, sometimes, I would fall down. Weird. Like my brain didn't understand the next step. Crawling around at work isn't fun. But usually, I can get back up.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #228 on: December 25, 2018, 12:02:55 am »
Whatever ya gotta do to retain your fingers, @bigheadfred.  Your employer had better cough up what it takes to get you Workman's Comp for that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #229 on: December 25, 2018, 12:05:19 am »
I was wondering about something like that, like if you bought a new jar when she was in town and then...

Years back I could not get anything to rise.  Went out and bought a new jar, still nothing.  What finally worked was when I bought yeast somewhere else.  If you're buying from the same store, maybe they got a bad batch?

Possible, I suppose, but unlikely... I bought yeast twice this summer. you'd think one might be bad, but not both... and I am throwing the yeast down in warm water with a bit of sugar - If it foams it is supposed to be good - or that is what I was told.... And that wet mix is used first, putting it into the dry goods... then etcetera.

Might be I could try a different brand... But my sis used the same stuff from my larder and made it fine.  :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #230 on: December 25, 2018, 12:08:43 am »
Right, @Sanguine ... in TEXAS. Here, especially in the winter, but really for 3 seasons, temp and moisture vary a ton, and temperature becomes dire in the winter time. The stove is up against an outside wall, and I don't think the oven will keep that pre-heat very long.

I like the idea Roos came up with to leave the oven light on... maybe even throw another bulb in there too... or a heat lamp...

But all that doesn't make any sense when my sister stood right here in my kitchen and made it... It rose right here, on top of the fridge... and she threw it right in my oven to bake it, and it came out perfect.  :shrug:

It's me.

I seldom bake in the summer because I don't want to heat up the kitchen.  And, I keep the house pretty cool in the winter because I enjoy the chill.  If I let it rise on the counter, it takes forever, so I put it in a warm oven. 

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #231 on: December 25, 2018, 12:08:51 am »
Whatever ya gotta do to retain your fingers, @bigheadfred.  Your employer had better cough up what it takes to get you Workman's Comp for that.

This week is supposed to be paid off. Hoping he will throw some in for last week. What is this Workman's Comp you speak of? They took me to a Redicare for stitches, and then to an eye doc. I got paid back for the eyedrops. They pay the rest with a credit card.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #232 on: December 25, 2018, 12:12:01 am »
Thanks. I keep mine under the porch in a sealed mason jar. (I keep it in the fridge like my mom told me to)  I'll give it a look if the boss renewed our cards. If I still have a job. After the eye doc looked me over last he gave me a note to take last week off. I had the wife take a pic of the note and bill and sent that to the boss. They didn't do a concussion test/ check on me. When I tried to walk, sometimes, I would fall down. Weird. Like my brain didn't understand the next step. Crawling around at work isn't fun. But usually, I can get back up.

I took a backhoe bucket at full swing right in the side of the head one time... blew me out of my shoes and cartwheeling off... Had trouble tracking straight for a while, and that same sort of fall-down thing... Like my brain was saying it but the order was lost in transmission... Legs say 'no comprende' and fail to succeed. But it passed after a while.

You'll be fine.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #233 on: December 25, 2018, 12:19:28 am »
I seldom bake in the summer because I don't want to heat up the kitchen.  And, I keep the house pretty cool in the winter because I enjoy the chill.  If I let it rise on the counter, it takes forever, so I put it in a warm oven.

I always let the bread machine (set to dough) handle the proofing, worked great.  I don't think I ever baked a loaf in it.  Got out of the routine when the boy moved away, and we haven't eaten a lot of bread lately.  While packing stuff to move I found my bread slicer & machine, so maybe I'll start doing that again.  The slicer is sort of a Miter Box affair.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #234 on: December 25, 2018, 12:21:32 am »
This week is supposed to be paid off. Hoping he will throw some in for last week. What is this Workman's Comp you speak of? They took me to a Redicare for stitches, and then to an eye doc. I got paid back for the eyedrops. They pay the rest with a credit card.

Employers don't like the red tape, so you might be able to use that to "encourage" him to pay up.  Mrs. Fred will be breathing fire if boss man doesn't do you right....
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #235 on: December 25, 2018, 12:22:12 am »

Yeah, I heard that... I can't wait to get the back porch put on... There's a whole dang wood-fired outdoor kitchen built into that thing... with a pizza oven and a hot/cold smoker. mostly for harvest processing though - That is the point. Half the garden comes in in late August when it is likely 90's or worse... Having a stock pot boiling on the stove all day will drive you right out. Done some outside this last summer - On a big 3 burner propane stove, mostly, but experimented with doing it over a wood fire too... Definitely have to have all that outside before long.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #236 on: December 25, 2018, 12:33:46 am »
Yeah, I heard that... I can't wait to get the back porch put on... There's a whole dang wood-fired outdoor kitchen built into that thing... with a pizza oven and a hot/cold smoker. mostly for harvest processing though - That is the point. Half the garden comes in in late August when it is likely 90's or worse... Having a stock pot boiling on the stove all day will drive you right out. Done some outside this last summer - On a big 3 burner propane stove, mostly, but experimented with doing it over a wood fire too... Definitely have to have all that outside before long.

I have a propane turkey fryer, though I've never fried a turkey.  The base is solid enough to easily accommodate my 25 qt canner, and it gets the heat right where I need it, unlike when I was using the gas grill.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #237 on: December 25, 2018, 12:42:23 am »
I have a propane turkey fryer, though I've never fried a turkey.  The base is solid enough to easily accommodate my 25 qt canner, and it gets the heat right where I need it, unlike when I was using the gas grill.

yeah... Mine is somewhat like this:

... except up on a stand... It'll get two stock pots going, but it costs way too much to run... I'll wind up on wood so I don't have to rely on the propane.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #238 on: December 25, 2018, 12:43:09 am »
I buy 2# at a time at Sam's, a pack of two 1# packages.  The one I open goes in the fridge, the other in the pantry.  Works fine for years.

If you keep your yeast in the freezer it will last even longer. Even the unopened one.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #239 on: December 25, 2018, 01:42:16 am »

One can make their own, homemade yeast.. It is in the air.   I have some dry yeast in fridge .  Years old, still works.  You must be killing the yeast with too hot water?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #240 on: December 25, 2018, 01:53:51 am »

One can make their own, homemade yeast.. It is in the air.   I have some dry yeast in fridge .  Years old, still works.  You must be killing the yeast with too hot water?

@LegalAmerican  Hey Lady!! :seeya:

Merry Christmas!  reindeer9999
I will NOT comply.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #241 on: December 25, 2018, 02:09:56 am »
@LegalAmerican  Hey Lady!! :seeya:

Merry Christmas!  reindeer9999

Hi!  Thank you. Christmas Eve is my Christmas.  Merry Christmas.  :tree3:  My dinner was ham and  hot German potato salad.  Some clementines for dessert.  Not too fancy anymore.  Hope you have a good Christmas Day, too.  0052