Author Topic: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits  (Read 30649 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2018, 03:19:40 am »
Everything. Never done it.
Working with a simple oatbread recipe, and ain't got her done. It is good eating, just thick and rather needing to rise more... Cold has somewhat to do with it - I am trying to let it rise over the fridge right now... And in my pantry, there is a high heater vent  that I may have to take advantage of...

I do fine with baking powder... Yeast is a bitch. too finicky... Either I ain't got enough warmth in the first place (adding warm water in the making of the dough), or it is too cold in here to get a productive rise... have tried doubling the wait between risings, nothing seems to work... By the woodstove is too hot.
 :shrug:

Have you tried your oven with the oven light on?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2018, 03:23:03 am »
Everything. Never done it.
Working with a simple oatbread recipe, and ain't got her done. It is good eating, just thick and rather needing to rise more... Cold has somewhat to do with it - I am trying to let it rise over the fridge right now... And in my pantry, there is a high heater vent  that I may have to take advantage of...

I do fine with baking powder... Yeast is a bitch. too finicky... Either I ain't got enough warmth in the first place (adding warm water in the making of the dough), or it is too cold in here to get a productive rise... have tried doubling the wait between risings, nothing seems to work... By the woodstove is too hot.
 :shrug:

By the way, I'm not sure an oat bread is the best thing to start with.  I find anything other than white wheat flour to never give the results I expect.  It's almost always denser and doesn't rise as much.  Try a plain jane recipe and then move up.

I have not tried this specific recipe, but everything I have tried from this woman I have liked, except for one zucchini thing.

https://www.recipetineats.com/soft-no-knead-dinner-rolls/

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #202 on: December 24, 2018, 03:26:03 am »
You can also make yourself a dough proofing box.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/40377/homemade-proofing-box

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #203 on: December 24, 2018, 03:35:16 am »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #204 on: December 24, 2018, 03:54:09 am »
Have you tried your oven with the oven light on?

No... Though the best batch I ever did was sitting on the back burner of the stove over the oven stack and I had brownies going in the oven... It was in a big glass mixing bowl with a tee towel over it... Still not good, but better than I have done otherwise.

I guess I could bake brownies every time I make bread... That's alright by me... But I think it may have needed more rise time than the brownies afforded, so maybe if I threw a double batch of chocolate chip cookies through too, maybe that'd fix it... I can live with that.

:silly:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #205 on: December 24, 2018, 03:57:32 am »
No... Though the best batch I ever did was sitting on the back burner of the stove over the oven stack and I had brownies going in the oven... It was in a big glass mixing bowl with a tee towel over it... Still not good, but better than I have done otherwise.

I guess I could bake brownies every time I make bread... That's alright by me... But I think it may have needed more rise time than the brownies afforded, so maybe if I threw a double batch of chocolate chip cookies through too, maybe that'd fix it... I can live with that.

:silly:

And, if you eat all the brownies while you're waiting for the first rise to finish and the choco cookies to bake, and then eat all the cookies waiting on the second rise to finish, you'll be in a sugar coma and won't care how the bread turns out.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2018, 04:00:32 am »
By the way, I'm not sure an oat bread is the best thing to start with.  I find anything other than white wheat flour to never give the results I expect.  It's almost always denser and doesn't rise as much.  Try a plain jane recipe and then move up.

I have not tried this specific recipe, but everything I have tried from this woman I have liked, except for one zucchini thing.

https://www.recipetineats.com/soft-no-knead-dinner-rolls/

It is my sister's recipe, so I figured to lean on her knowledge, since I was wrecking everything I tried else-wise. She stood right here and made em, right here in my own house, and they turned out fine... I do it and they turn out like bricks.

I am telling ya, yeast doesn't like me. They got a union or something.

She'll be over sometime after new year and we'll take another run at it, with me doin, and her standing over my shoulder. Still stuff gets lost in translation - I am better at it than I used to be, but she hardly measures anything, and I still need measure, till I get a feel for it... She says I am over-thinking it.  :shrug:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2018, 04:03:25 am »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #208 on: December 24, 2018, 04:05:46 am »
Christ you are an incredibly boring person.

I'm glad you think so.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #209 on: December 24, 2018, 04:11:27 am »
It is my sister's recipe, so I figured to lean on her knowledge, since I was wrecking everything I tried else-wise. She stood right here and made em, right here in my own house, and they turned out fine... I do it and they turn out like bricks.

I am telling ya, yeast doesn't like me. They got a union or something.

She'll be over sometime after new year and we'll take another run at it, with me doin, and her standing over my shoulder. Still stuff gets lost in translation - I am better at it than I used to be, but she hardly measures anything, and I still need measure, till I get a feel for it... She says I am over-thinking it.  :shrug:

Put the dough in the oven, turn it on to heat for two minutes and then turn it off and let the dough rise.  It gets the oven to just the right temperature and works every time.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #210 on: December 24, 2018, 05:57:40 pm »
@roamer_1 try this recipe, it's simple and I've never seen it fail.  https://lifemadesimplebakes.com/2016/09/4-ingredient-no-knead-artisan-bread/
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 06:01:19 pm by LadyLiberty »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #211 on: December 24, 2018, 08:59:01 pm »
Thank you @LadyLiberty ...

Reading the article, I was surprised by the long rise times... That may well be my problem...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #212 on: December 24, 2018, 09:11:04 pm »
Put the dough in the oven, turn it on to heat for two minutes and then turn it off and let the dough rise.  It gets the oven to just the right temperature and works every time.

Right, @Sanguine ... in TEXAS. Here, especially in the winter, but really for 3 seasons, temp and moisture vary a ton, and temperature becomes dire in the winter time. The stove is up against an outside wall, and I don't think the oven will keep that pre-heat very long.

I like the idea Roos came up with to leave the oven light on... maybe even throw another bulb in there too... or a heat lamp...

But all that doesn't make any sense when my sister stood right here in my kitchen and made it... It rose right here, on top of the fridge... and she threw it right in my oven to bake it, and it came out perfect.  :shrug:

It's me.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #213 on: December 24, 2018, 10:49:16 pm »
Right, @Sanguine ... in TEXAS. Here, especially in the winter, but really for 3 seasons, temp and moisture vary a ton, and temperature becomes dire in the winter time. The stove is up against an outside wall, and I don't think the oven will keep that pre-heat very long.

I like the idea Roos came up with to leave the oven light on... maybe even throw another bulb in there too... or a heat lamp...

But all that doesn't make any sense when my sister stood right here in my kitchen and made it... It rose right here, on top of the fridge... and she threw it right in my oven to bake it, and it came out perfect.  :shrug:

It's me.

Was it summer when she did that and maybe a little warmer?

One of those links I left you says to do the oven thing with a pan of boiling water on the bottom rack.  If it's super cold there you might have to refresh it to keep the right temp in.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #214 on: December 24, 2018, 11:04:38 pm »
My main problem is with yeast. I was buying in bulk, but it didn't seem to stay very viable for very long.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #215 on: December 24, 2018, 11:10:19 pm »
My main problem is with yeast. I was buying in bulk, but it didn't seem to stay very viable for very long.

No, it doeesn't.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #216 on: December 24, 2018, 11:14:51 pm »
@roamer_1  Yeast needs sugar.  No skimping....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #217 on: December 24, 2018, 11:15:45 pm »
Was it summer when she did that and maybe a little warmer?

Naw, it was early spring, just after my birthday... right in break-up. But I wailed on it now and then, all summer long, and never got it right.... which is why I am having her back over. Sounds like a long process, but not really... I will try a couple times, and abandon it for a while, and circle back around as time and desire permits. So for the most part, I do what I know works, and incorporate new stuff as I master it.

This time around, I am going to see about a bread-maker in order to create a repeatable kneading process that I can later mimic... Not going to cook it in the bread-maker, but surely can knead it in there... and come to think of it, might oughta have a temp controlled means built-in to that bread maker for the rising too... I will look back in the destructions and find that part out.

Anyhoo, this time around, Sis is gonna come over and I will scratch make it with her, and perhaps make another in the bread maker to see what's the matter... maybe it is in my use of ingredients somehow, or in the kneading of it, or in the rising of it... It wasn't nothing hard, watching her do it last time.

My mamma's still here too, and she is the original kitchen battleaxe... She made bread every day for her family when she was younger... But this oat bread is my sister's recipe, hence her participation
instead... One way or another, we'll get it figured out.

One of those links I left you says to do the oven thing with a pan of boiling water on the bottom rack.  If it's super cold there you might have to refresh it to keep the right temp in.

Yep... I wouldn't think it all that bad for heat, unless it's something that has to go overnight... I have the gas turned down in here, where it comes on at 50 or so, Just for after the wood stove might go out in the night. so it gets pretty cool in here in the winter at night. I have lost sourdough starter over it. I think it is more about no constant temperature - as the wood stove can cook the place when it is roaring, during the daytime. There is no place here with a reliable temperate norm.

I guess I could just turn up the gas on baking day - but that defeats the purpose for me... Our elders got this stuff done without all the modern appliances, so I should be able to do it too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #218 on: December 24, 2018, 11:23:10 pm »

Been there done that... I am just buying them little packets from the store - I don't keep none over a year anyway (part of the Passover thing is to rid your house of all yeast and risen bread)... Whatever is left in the house gets burned on the Day of Preparation...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #219 on: December 24, 2018, 11:25:56 pm »
@roamer_1  Yeast needs sugar.  No skimping....

I know... I get it... This was all so simple when my sis did it... To my knowledge I am mimicking her actions... But this is like dancing... You can mimic other people at it and still be no damn good - It is a practice thing.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #220 on: December 24, 2018, 11:29:01 pm »
I know... I get it... This was all so simple when my sis did it... To my knowledge I am mimicking her actions... But this is like dancing... You can mimic other people at it and still be no damn good - It is a practice thing.

Check this guy out.  http://paulhollywood.com/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #221 on: December 24, 2018, 11:30:13 pm »
@roamer  Could it be you keep the place warmer for company, like your Sis?

(Thought of something else.  I used to make bread every Sunday for the pup and me, and I used flour made for bread.  High in Gluten content.)
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #222 on: December 24, 2018, 11:31:11 pm »
@roamer  Could it be you keep the place warmer for company, like your Sis?

(Thought of something else.  I used to make bread every Sunday for the pup and me, and I used flour made for bread.  High in Gluten content.)

Hard wheat, as opposed to the soft wheat for biscuits.   :laugh:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #223 on: December 24, 2018, 11:37:00 pm »
Hard wheat, as opposed to the soft wheat for biscuits.   :laugh:

And use all wheat flour. Whatever flavor. Most flour now has barley flour in varying quantities. Barley flour isn't for to be making good bread.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2018, 11:37:33 pm »

I buy 2# at a time at Sam's, a pack of two 1# packages.  The one I open goes in the fridge, the other in the pantry.  Works fine for years.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.