Author Topic: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits  (Read 30742 times)

Offline mountaineer

Re: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits
« Reply #175 on: December 23, 2018, 09:21:22 pm »
So sorry to hear of your injury, @Emjay . Hope you heal quickly. Eat a biscuit - it couldn't hurt!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #176 on: December 23, 2018, 09:56:55 pm »
I suppose this stuff is out of the question?

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #177 on: December 23, 2018, 11:00:44 pm »
I suppose this stuff is out of the question?

Depends, are you from the north or the south?  If you're from the north it's fine for you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #178 on: December 23, 2018, 11:21:05 pm »
Depends, are you from the north or the south?  If you're from the north it's fine for you.

888high58888

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #179 on: December 24, 2018, 12:37:07 am »

Ima Yanqui.    :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #180 on: December 24, 2018, 12:40:29 am »
Ima Yanqui.    :shrug:

I thought you had emigrated and evolved?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #181 on: December 24, 2018, 12:53:01 am »
I thought you had emigrated and evolved?

Those are in my "emergency food supply."  It will take an emergency for me to eat them.  They are tasty with sausage gravy.  Mountain House is actually very good for freeze-dried.  I bought a mess of that stuff because it made for good lunches in the lab, back in the day that's becoming a distant memory.  Nuke a couple cups of water, dump it in the pouch, stir it up and seal the ziplock.  10-15 minutes later I'm fat and happy. 

A bit too much sodium for the Mrs, but even she says the taste of the entrees (lasagna, beef stroganoff, chicken rice) is better than expected.

I like the frozen Grandes, and the pouches of gravy mix don't suck very much.  The caloric content is why I've been steering clear.  I'm about 50 lbs off my maximum weight now (255 down to 205 lbs), and I've been maintaining very well.
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #183 on: December 24, 2018, 01:39:42 am »
  Hard Tac....made with flour, water, salt.  They don't recommend any oil, butter, lard, as it won't last as long. Tend to go rancid.

This is survival food.  Baked twice, holes poked in it like a cracker.  Can be used as as door stop!  Hard as a brick. lol

Good God no! Add a touch of baking powder and make bannock instead... Hardtack is what you eat when the beans are gone. And the beans are never gone... And I have a ton of freeze dried now that keeps every bit as long as hardtack would.

Bleah.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #184 on: December 24, 2018, 01:42:24 am »
Have you tried freezing the tube?

It specifically says not to.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #185 on: December 24, 2018, 01:45:25 am »
I'm not enjoying Christmas @Sanguine because I suffered a bad leg injury and am forbidden to sit at the computer.  I'm supposed to sit in a recliner with my leg elevated or lie in bed with my leg elevated.

Y'all will have to solve the worlds' problems without me for a while.

Sorry to hear that @Emjay ... sounds like a good time to invest in a laptop or a tablet...
I would have gone crazy without the internet during my illness...
Of course, I went crazy anyway, so there's that...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #186 on: December 24, 2018, 01:54:20 am »

When I was still in the woods, I ate a ton of Mountain House... Still have a butt-ton of it laying around here. Glad of that, because it costs too much anymore.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2018, 02:00:50 am »
When I was still in the woods, I ate a ton of Mountain House... Still have a butt-ton of it laying around here. Glad of that, because it costs too much anymore.

It's expensive if it's not on sale.  I got a bunch when it was, that shit expires in 2047.  When Mrs. Liberty croaks it's going to save my life.  Plus:  It's cheaper than those MREs I got, and those expired years ago.  Trash.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #188 on: December 24, 2018, 02:25:23 am »
It's expensive if it's not on sale.  I got a bunch when it was, that shit expires in 2047.  When Mrs. Liberty croaks it's going to save my life.  Plus:  It's cheaper than those MREs I got, and those expired years ago.  Trash.

The new MREs are way better eating that the old ones... But they are too heavy and bulky.
I have recently been kinda switching out to Thrive Life bulk freeze dried stuff... And kinda making my own pre-made stuff... working on recipes, but it will wind up way cheaper than MH... Then the Mountain House stuff will become obsolete.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #189 on: December 24, 2018, 02:29:45 am »
It specifically says not to.

Yeah, but have you tried it?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #190 on: December 24, 2018, 02:35:27 am »

I bet you could open the can, slap each biscuit between two pieces of wax paper and then freeze them that way.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #191 on: December 24, 2018, 02:42:14 am »

No... heard tell of them freezing in camp, and later the cardboard popping on em when they thaw out. I would surmise the expansion of the dough when freezing damages the cardboard at the seams, where it is already trying to pop.

:shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #192 on: December 24, 2018, 02:44:51 am »
I bet you could open the can, slap each biscuit between two pieces of wax paper and then freeze them that way.

Or make your own and do the same, which would cost pennies on the dollar. I really have to figure yeast out. Dough is such a bugger to learn.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #193 on: December 24, 2018, 03:01:25 am »
Or make your own and do the same, which would cost pennies on the dollar. I really have to figure yeast out. Dough is such a bugger to learn.

I just made the big batch of them, with the recipe I posted, today since I finished experimenting with small batches.  Froze them and packaged them up.

$3.00 - flour
$4.50 - butter
$2.50 - buttermilk
$10 - total

I got 18 biscuits out of that recipe, but I think I rolled it a little thicker than it called for.  So each biscuit is about $0.56.

I think a roll of Grands is about $2.50 for 8 biscuits or about $0.31 per biscuit.

What are you trying to make with yeast?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 03:02:14 am by RoosGirl »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #194 on: December 24, 2018, 03:09:15 am »
No... heard tell of them freezing in camp, and later the cardboard popping on em when they thaw out. I would surmise the expansion of the dough when freezing damages the cardboard at the seams, where it is already trying to pop.

I was hoping they'd blow up when freezing.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #195 on: December 24, 2018, 03:10:57 am »

Everything. Never done it.
Working with a simple oatbread recipe, and ain't got her done. It is good eating, just thick and rather needing to rise more... Cold has somewhat to do with it - I am trying to let it rise over the fridge right now... And in my pantry, there is a high heater vent  that I may have to take advantage of...

I do fine with baking powder... Yeast is a bitch. too finicky... Either I ain't got enough warmth in the first place (adding warm water in the making of the dough), or it is too cold in here to get a productive rise... have tried doubling the wait between risings, nothing seems to work... By the woodstove is too hot.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2018, 03:13:23 am »

You could try Angel Biscuits. They have a short 8 to 10 minute rise time.

https://www.restlesschipotle.com/angel-biscuits-recipe/

This angel biscuits recipe is a cross between a flaky biscuit and a yeast roll. These easy yeast biscuits are light, fluffy, and rise super high but they don’t take much time at all. We love them with cream gravy over the top for breakfast. This old fashioned southern recipe is foolproof! Make them once and you’ll know why they’ve been a standard here in the South for decades.

For this recipe you’ll need: all purpose flour (White Lily is best), yeast, baking powder, baking soda, buttermilk, salt, butter, buttermilk, sugar

Anyway, this angel biscuits recipe comes out so light and fluffy that it’s sinful. They only have a 10 minute rising time so there’s not much of a time investment, either. You can even roll them out the night before, cover them, store them in the fridge, and bake in the morning. Or, you can even make the dough, cover it, and put it in the fridge for a couple of days. This is great because you can take out what you need and have fresh biscuits as you want them. If the dough is cold let the biscuits rise for some extra time before baking. 15 to 20 minutes is fine.

So easy.

Be careful not to handle them too much, though. Over-kneading or using too much flour when rolling them out can make angel biscuits tough. You don’t want that.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2018, 03:13:30 am »
I got 18 biscuits out of that recipe, but I think I rolled it a little thicker than it called for.  So each biscuit is about $0.56.

I think a roll of Grands is about $2.50 for 8 biscuits or about $0.31 per biscuit.

You must be using a pretty fancy flour.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2018, 03:16:49 am »
You must be using a pretty fancy flour.

Just King Arthur self- rising.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2018, 03:18:30 am »
You could try Angel Biscuits. They have a short 8 to 10 minute rise time.

https://www.restlesschipotle.com/angel-biscuits-recipe/

I'd love me some angel biscuits... My SIL is a native TN, and she makes an angel biscuit that is magnificent... Something she does on top of em... kinda a crispy honey top, with some orange zest in it... I dunno what... but they are fantastic!